looking at crew cabs

• Whiskerkev
    Madison

I am looking at getting a new truck and I hate shopping for vehicles. I could pay less and get a Dodge (and pay more later I’ve been told), I could get a Ford for a little bit more but I’m not crazy about the ecoboost turbo concept, The Chevy is very nice but they want about 40k for a new one, the Toyota is around 45k and it is very nice as well. I’ve driven them all and can’t make up my mind. I have city driving and a public ramp I park in. My commute is 7 miles one way. What is my best option and why?

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

IMO there is no clear best because if there was everyone would have one. You can hardly go wrong with any of them IMO. My chevy has 206K miles on it and will get a new truck sooner or later but wouldn’t turn down any of those that you mentioned.

zooks

At this point with trucks, IMO it’s truly personal preference. FWIW, I’m like you regarding the Ecoboost – Ford and turbos do not have a good history – and have heard good things about the 5.0L V8 they’re offering instead.

I know of three people that bought a 2014 Silverado 1500 this fall, two of them were strictly because of the new 153″ wheelbase that allows for a true crew cab with a standard box length. GM discontinued that length in the 2007-13 bodystyle and was smart to bring it back. Very nice overall redesign by GM, interiors are sharp and are back on par with Ford and Dodge.

I prefer Chevy/GMC, would be happy with a Ford and avoid Dodge but again, that’s just me. Good luck on what you decide.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I don’t know which one to tell you but I agree with your thought on eco boost. My buddy got one and the fun factor is just not there even though a lot of guys love them. If I got a ford it would be the 5.0
    I’m a GM guy though.

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

Buy a good used one at less than half the price. New trucks are so over priced.

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Quote:

Buy a good used one at less than half the price. New trucks are so over priced.

LOL… Good used ones are priced over the top as well. A new, end of season buy is not always as sick as it may usually be, and in comparison with some used prices, they all shake out as too much, but what are you going to do.

Stan Jenson
    sw wisconsin

Imo I would buy a good used truck and take the money I saved to buy a cheap car. Considering the fact that you only drive 7 miles in the city the short trips would be hard on a v8. Not to mention the gas mileage would be better with a small car.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

I have an F-150 with the ecoboost engine. Pulls my 21 foot glass boat just fine. Gas mileage is decent in summer but not great in the cold weather. Would I buy another one? Not sure. I think I would go with the 5.0L instead. Had the 5.4L in my previous F-150 and gas mileage was only a couple mpg less. I’ve had great luck with both my Fords and would not hesitate to buy another.

tucrs
    NW Metro

FWIW I bought a Eco Boost Ford I really liked the size of the crew portion of the truck.
    I like the power of the Eco Boost motor. I really have no complaints about the truck. It does what I needed it to do.

I liked the 4 wheel drive system of Ford when I bought mine. True locking diffs and locked up until 30 mph. I like that for winter/lake driving.

I also am partial to Ford’s seats I like the way they break in. I have owned Chevy’s until this one.

abster71
    crawford county WI

Been a chevy guy for years finally I drove a ford with both engines didn’t see a difference if driving normal so I went with the 5.0. The ride on the new fords is awesome and the room is incredible. Good luck with your choice.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

I thought about the beater car scenario but I have limited parking. I’m 45 and I’ve never owned a new vehicle. The new job is going well and I can afford one in the new year. I was thinking about pulling the trigger if the right year end deal came a long but I haven’t seen it yet. the pick ups feel like driving an aircraft carrier to me after zipping around in a cherokee for 13 years. My boys are 9 in February and I can’t haul 3 sets of ice gear without a truck. I don’t want used because the previous owner had a reason to sell and you never know what they used them for or how well taken care of they were.

Andy Fiolka
    Boise, Idaho

I have the 5.0 in my 2013 F-150. Before the Ford I had a 2010 Silverado with a 5.3

The Ford is a night and day improvement in about every aspect over my Silverado. It tows better, rides better, and is quieter driving down the road. The Chevy was a great truck, never had any problems, but my new Ford is much more fun to drive. I seem to average around 17-19mpg on the freeway with the Ford. This is also about what the Chevy got. You can’t go wrong with the 5.0, it’s nearly identical in power/torque to the new Chevy 5.3’s

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

Whiskerkev,
    Not sure what you’re driving now, but before you commit to a crew-cab pickup, borrow one and experience parking at the parking garage you mentioned. I’m driving my first CC pickup, the fairly long wheelbase really hinders the easy ability to park in tight areas.

HRG

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

You make mention of a Public Ramp for parking at work. Make sure it will fit in the ramp. All of crew extended cabs have radically different turning radius and parking space requirements. I basically cannot do ramps with my F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab it usually very close on height but its length and turning radius makes it almost impossible to park in a ramp. The few it fits in the receiver hitch has been hit by other vehicles. If someone parks poorly behind you may not be able to get out due to turning radius. Test drive them all and park them. Use tape measure mesaure vehicle and your parking space and do a mock up. Remember height when going over a speed bump in the ramp as well. thats when I hit the roof. I am a Ford guy so that is what I would get but I have ridden in 2 newer GM that are very nice as well.

Mwal

07lotwchamp
    Andover, Mn

Ram has a crew cab 1500 with 6’3″ box as of 2013…Hemi with Mds motor is pretty good, love mine!! Stay

scott-k
    Red Wing

Currently doing what you are doing…the Tundra crewmax has everything I want. Just shopping for the best price. I agree with running a car to work if you have the space.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

I am looking at getting a new truck and I hate shopping for vehicles. I could pay less and get a Dodge (and pay more later I’ve been told), I could get a Ford for a little bit more but I’m not crazy about the ecoboost turbo concept, The Chevy is very nice but they want about 40k for a new one, the Toyota is around 45k and it is very nice as well. I’ve driven them all and can’t make up my mind. I have city driving and a public ramp I park in. My commute is 7 miles one way. What is my best option and why?

Financially used is the best option. Get a 3-4 year old truck for a fraction of the price. I used to love my dad’s 2011 Tundra. But after picking up a 2008 Ford Expidetion EL for the fiancĂ©, I was amazed how rough the Tundra rode comparably. All 2009-2010 trucks are good options. Including Nissan Titan and all mentioned above.

One of the major problems with moden crew can trucks is the way to short 5′ box built for city folks who don’t use a truck for what it is designed for. Be aware of this when truck shopping.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Relative to what Wade said be mindful of length. Full sized Otter for instance won’t fit in short bed with tail gate closed. That’s the main reason I went with extended cab.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Brother-in-law just pulled up in his new 2013 Ford Explorer. Holy cow! Did the take all the manliness out of that thing. It seems lower and smaller than models past. Not sure I would feel comfortable off-roading on Red or into our backwoods lakes with that thing.

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

Quote:

Brother-in-law just pulled up in his new 2013 Ford Explorer. Holy cow! Did the take all the manliness out of that thing. It seems lower and smaller than models past. Not sure I would feel comfortable off-roading on Red or into our backwoods lakes with that thing.

yeah, yeah, yeah, we had a V-8 2008 Explorer, my wife likes her 2014 version much better.
    Happy wife = happy life!

HRG

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

Quote:

Holy cow! Did the take all the manliness out of that thing. It seems lower and smaller than models past. Not sure I would feel comfortable off-roading on Red or into our backwoods lakes with that thing.

It is not the size of your truck that counts…

gusschoenfeld
    Winsted, MN

Siiten in the dodge dealership now. Purchasing my second one. 2400000+ hard miles on the last one with minimal issues brought me back

wismitty
    Janesville wisconsin

My ? Are what are you pulling weight wise? Do you like options that work? Can you get by without nav and CD and DVD, if so buy the Toyota if not either ford or chevy are nice, I do not care for the ecoboost, I’m a chevy guy after trying some of the other brands I like the options I get with chevy. Wait till next week for better deals…..

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

You guys and your small beds.

joe_the_fisher
    Wisconsin Dells WI

Bought a 2013 F-150 this last april and i couldnt love it more!! Went with the 5.0 Very nice truck and got it brand new for right around $35k after rebates and jewing them down. XLT crewcab model. List price was just about $42k

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Quote:

Financially used is the best option. Get a 3-4 year old truck for a fraction of the price.

I don’t mean to pick on you Wade, but I disagree with this. Unless you can find someone selling a truck for less than what its worth, I say new is much cheaper than old, especially with trucks.

Trucks are usually deeply discounted. $4000-$8000+ in discounts. You get better interest rates with new vehicles. FULL WARRANTY!!!! When you buy a discounted new vehicle, you typically drive off with a vehicle that is worth more than what you paid.

Used vehicles are reduced in price based on the amount of depreciation. The depreciation $ is subtracted from the new vehicle value. Discounts typically cant be had on these and the warranty typically isn’t as good. You’ll have to buy tires, hyead lamps, shocks, brakes, etc…

I weighed this out when I bought my ’10 F150 new. I was contemplating buying a 3-4 year old truck only to find the price range around $23K-$25K. I purchased my new truck for $27K valued at over $33k. Full warranty and new truck smell. I even checked on a 1 year old truck with fewer options asking MORE than what I paid. That pretty much sealed the deal for me.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Financially used is the best option. Get a 3-4 year old truck for a fraction of the price.

I don’t mean to pick on you Wade, but I disagree with this. Unless you can find someone selling a truck for less than what its worth, I say new is much cheaper than old, especially with trucks.

Trucks are usually deeply discounted. $4000-$8000+ in discounts. You get better interest rates with new vehicles. FULL WARRANTY!!!! When you buy a discounted new vehicle, you typically drive off with a vehicle that is worth more than what you paid.

Used vehicles are reduced in price based on the amount of depreciation. The depreciation $ is subtracted from the new vehicle value. Discounts typically cant be had on these and the warranty typically isn’t as good. You’ll have to buy tires, hyead lamps, shocks, brakes, etc…

I weighed this out when I bought my ’10 F150 new. I was contemplating buying a 3-4 year old truck only to find the price range around $23K-$25K. I purchased my new truck for $27K valued at over $33k. Full warranty and new truck smell. I even checked on a 1 year old truck with fewer options asking MORE than what I paid. That pretty much sealed the deal for me.

Could be. I haven’t bought a truck in a while. Are we talking an above base version with crew cab? I know we paid under $17,000 for the fiance’s 2008 Expidetion EL which would be 60-65K new. My mom paid $12.5K for a 2005 Cadillac Escalade with under 100K miles. That thing had a $75K price tag new.

Saw a lot of $50K plus F150 trucks on the lot. I cannot imagine negotiating them down to high $20Ks.

Also cannot comment on interest rates. We pay cash.

With gassers getting into the 300Ks for milage, I still struggle to see how new is better than used when guys still have the mentality that at 100K it is time to trade it in.

I can assure you, I will be exploring all options and prices when I truck shop in 2016 or 2017. Who knows what will be the case then.

No worries. I don’t feel picked on. I enjoy these conversations.

gixxer01
    Avon, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Agreed, the used truck market is ridiculous lately. Of you don’t mind driving one with 60k+, then there are deals to be had.

Another thing to check is the rear differential. Each manufacturer has a different design, and depending on what you like, might make the choice for you. It’s surprising how few people know what style and ratio their rear diff is. A very important part of being happy with your choice.

mike ice

Shopping is the key word here, be patient. There might not be a deal today but maybe end of month, end of year etc.
    Turning radius and parking are very good points, I can attest to that. We bought our last CC 2 yrs old when gas was skyrocketing for about 4-5K less than market value, end of month.
    If new I’d stay away from turbos also, that 5.0L is good. I would buy any you mentioned is price was right, even the Dodge. Just make sure box is big enough. Warranty is only as good as the dealer standing behind the vehicle.
    Can you keep the Jeep to drive to work?

bclii
    MN/AZ

Unless you can find someone selling a truck for less than what its worth, I say new is much cheaper than old, especially with trucks.

This is why I bought new in sept. The cash for clunkers made used vehicle prices sky rocket. Great program though!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 60 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.