Boat motor help?

• smackemup
    North Metro

Planning a trip to pool four tomorrow and thought I’d fire up the engine and warm her up in the yard there for a couple minutes. She fired up great as usual but I noticed she wasn’t spraying out any water after the usual few seconds. So I shut her down and made sure it was getting enough water and what not and tried it again; I let it run for a minute or so and threw it in gear and it started to kick out a weak stream of hot water, waited that out for another twenty seconds and she was still spitting hot. Water pump? I don’t know because it still kicked out some water, maybe I needed to let it run a bit longer? Thoughts? Thanks guys

bullcans
    Northfield MN

Straighten out a paper clip or use a twisty tie and run it in and out of the hole where the water spits outfit might just be a little clogged up inside

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Is there any chance there was ice built up in the system?

Once you got warm water out it would mean no on the ice…

If not then, Yes pump is where I would start.

Once a guy gets good at it most can be done in less than an hour.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

What model/HP on the motor? Muffs or barrel? Could be as simple as not submerged deep enough in a barrel. Could be pump or thermostat.

mojogunter

That is like an idiot light in your car. The difference is that there is a good chance that hose has water in it that froze and it is blocked or partially blocked. If the pump isn’t pumping water it won’t take much more than a couple of minutes before the overheating alarm will go off. I had a 115 merc on the rainy one spring that did the same thing and I ended up pulling the cover off to touch the heads to see if it was overheating with no spray coming out. It was cool to the touch, so I took off down the river. It was fine all day. It took about 20 minutes before the line thawed and started to spray water.

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Common on my Yamaha after a hard freeze at night when outside, can take several minutes before the thermostat lets water through. I totally freaked out the first time after a 5 hour drive to pool 4. Now, let er warm up nice and slow, and always good to go

shockers
    Rochester

Probably fine like everyone noted. Try cranking up your water pressure if you’re using muffs.

Dadams
    Emmetsburg, Iowa

Late summer I had similar problem. I took a piece of wire and started digging away trying to get spray. I dug what was left of a HUGE bug or nest of bugs. There was more than 8 legs. Hahahahaha

smackemup
    North Metro

Thanks guys, I am running a yammy pro 50 these days, and after I let her run for a few more minutes she started spittin, so that was a relief and I will hit the water tomorrow. If anyone is out p4 tomorrow say hey I’ll be in my blue Northwoods. Thanks again for all of the quick and good comments.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.