night fishing question

• onestout
    Hudson, WI

For those that pitch to shorelines for eyes at night do you use the red or green light on your headlight or no light at all?

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Quote:

For those that pitch to shorelines for eyes at night do you use the red or green light on your headlight or no light at all?

I thought only catfisher persons use lights at night

There is a night bite for Walleyes ?

moxie
    Sioux City,IA

My red light is not effective/bright outdoors..only in my apt.( I have the cheapo light). I flashlight it if I have a bite.
    What headlight are you using?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Mike, red light doesn’t travel very far unless it being reflected off of something. In the dark dark, I can see the end of my rod tip and that’s about it.

Never used green.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

not sure which one I have. so the colored lights don’t shine very far.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

The while light does project out the furthest. It also will give the most blindness when turning them off until your eyes adjust.

Most guys I know that are pitching don’t use a light until it’s needed.

My personal experience when pitchin’ a bullhead out is to use a spot light (white light) to ensure I hit the sweet spot.

I love the red light to keep the bugs away, less vision blindness and so I can see to walk around the boat.

Hope that helps.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Night is where knowing your equipment well can save you. I am always pitching out from shore and only use the red light for rebaiting or retying lines. White light on mine is extremely bright and would be afraid of spooking the fish nowadays with the clear water, only on to navigate down the trail, and even then turn it off within 25yds from my fishing spots, got to be ninja like with those eyes!!

onestout
    Hudson, WI

not sure yet, see what the weekend brings.

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

Is this a question based off what colors help you see better, decrease the amount of light the fish sees, or reducing impact on your night vision? Because different colors of light can be useful in different ways… Personally I like a low lumen white light when I can’t see jack squat, if I need to change out a lure or tie a knot I use red, if the shoreline is dark colored and I want to maintain night vision better I want green. There is a lot of science behind the rods and cones in your eyes that are worth a good read too. Red light kills your peripheral vision and the long wave lengths get absorbed quickly so the light doesn’t reach very far. You can’t see straight ahead well with green light, but you can see much further, and if you need direct and peripheral vision and it isn’t raining, use white light on a low setting. My 3 cents

pete grassl

i use a blue light that isnt too bright so as not to spook the walleyes.then im spooled up with a green line and the blue light makes it stand out nicely.just like fishin during the day you can see everything your line does

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.