Marcum

• jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

$13.88 shipping on a $19.99 part.. Really.
    Love your products but this is a little silly if you ask me.

shaley
    Milford IA

$9 shipping on a $4 Shimano part for one of my reels

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Silly? Want to hear SILLY!

I ordered an Igniter for my furnace in the camper. $4.99

Shipping was $14.00 almost $20 for the $5. part…. now you know how big an Igniter is…about the size of a Bic Lighter.

When the box arrived I could have put three 1000 yard spools of Team Catfish Tug O War 80 pound braid in it AND it’s weight was FOUR POUNDS!

Came complete with an 1 1/2 inch thick RV parts manual.

The kicker? I ordered ON-LINE! What the ‘ell do I need a catalog for!!

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

This always comes up. The first question is; did you get your part directly from Marcum?

Let me start by saying Marcum has nothing to do with my explanation. All of these smaller outdoor companies are in the same boat. No pun intended.

I’ll try and explain it from their point of view.

Shipping charges are likely about $7-$8. The shipping shop rate is likely around $100/hr. To pick, pack, generate paperwork takes probably 10 minutes (about $16 if you’re keeping track). Not to mention the overhead for invoicing. Seems like a deal to me. Marcum probably takes a loss.

Bottom line is that Marcum an many other companies are not in business to process parts orders. That’s what watehouses are for. They likely don’t see enough parts orders to even consider it.

tsamp
    eldora, iowa

What happened to “loss leader”? Seems to work for convenience stores. A $5 dollar loss (theoretically) to fix a part off a $4-500 item in the hopes you tell everyone of the great customer service.

BBKK
    IA

What part?

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Quote:

What happened to “loss leader”? Seems to work for convenience stores. A $5 dollar loss (theoretically) to fix a part off a $4-500 item in the hopes you tell everyone of the great customer service.

I think that’s what I just said. I’m sure unless it’s a common add-on, replacements parts are probably not mass produced, therefore likely less profitable. I say they take a loss on it.

Chris Raymond
    Keweenaw Peninsula, MI

The alternative is that you drive to their factory or a stocking dealer, pay retail, gas and account for your time spent on the road…take your pick. ;-)

moxie
    Sioux City,IA

Quote:

$13.88 shipping on a $19.99 part.. Really.
    Love your products but this is a little silly if you ask me.

Welcome to America

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Hey JC

Whats happening bud ?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.