What? No Gophers thread?

• TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

C’mon! Did I miss it or was there no congrats to the Gophers for beating Penn State?

Yeah, yeah, yeah, we all know. Obviously, this was NOT a prime Penn State team, blah, blah, blah. We all knew going in that MN “should” win.

But the point is you need to win the games you SHOULD win because they still make you play them.

Bring on Wisconsin. Now for all you Cheeseheads out there, I freely admit that the Badgers are the better football team. On paper at least. With that said, better not plan to phone it in, because letting the Gophers hang around into the 2nd half has proved to be dangerous.

On the subject of football, I feel sorry for the Buckeyes. They get no respect. #3 across the polls and passed up by Florida State after Oregon falls? Be serious! Can anyone see Fla State coming out on top if they played the Buckeyes?

I’m not a Buckeyes fan, I’m just saying that all this southeast bias is a crock. Serve up Bama to the Buckeyes in the BCBS and watch what happens. The Buckeyes are being dissed because of what happened to ND in last year’s championship and the BCBS people are fixated on an all SE championship game regardless of who really deserves to be there.

Grouse

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Quote:

C’mon! Did I miss it or was there no congrats to the Gophers for beating Penn State?

Yeah, yeah, yeah, we all know. Obviously, this was NOT a prime Penn State team, blah, blah, blah. We all knew going in that MN “should” win.

But the point is you need to win the games you SHOULD win because they still make you play them.

Bring on Wisconsin. Now for all you Cheeseheads out there, I freely admit that the Badgers are the better football team. On paper at least. With that said, better not plan to phone it in, because letting the Gophers hang around into the 2nd half has proved to be dangerous.

On the subject of football, I feel sorry for the Buckeyes. They get no respect. #3 across the polls and passed up by Florida State after Oregon falls? Be serious! Can anyone see Fla State coming out on top if they played the Buckeyes?

I’m not a Buckeyes fan, I’m just saying that all this southeast bias is a crock. Serve up Bama to the Buckeyes in the BCBS and watch what happens. The Buckeyes are being dissed because of what happened to ND in last year’s championship and the BCBS people are fixated on an all SE championship game regardless of who really deserves to be there.

Grouse

In 2 years Ohio State will have the speed to contend with ‘Bama. Until then they are just another team from the Big 10 to thrash.

To be the man, you have to beat the man. Nobody has been able to handle Alabama on a regular basis since Saban showed up.

Let Florida State get beaten this year. Ohio State will have their chance soon enough.

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

Ummm ok Nature Boy.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

It doesn’t matter that Penn St. and Nebraska aren’t what they used to be. The Gophers haven’t been able to beat the bottom feeders of the Big Ten for a very long time, the four game streak in the conference is proof of that. It’s fun to watch! BS is the key factor in BCBS.

prieser
    Byron, MN

SKI U MAH!!!!

Can anyone tell me what the heck that means anyway???

Go Gophers

wheres_waldo
    The Big Pond

Quote:

SKI U MAH!!!!

Can anyone tell me what the heck that means anyway???

Go Gophers

I heard the answer on Saturday for the first time. Here is your answer:

This famous Minnesota phrase Ski-U-Mah (pronounced SKY-YOU-MAH) is more than 115 years old. In 1884, two Minnesota rugby players, John W. Adams and Win Sargent, tried to think of a fitting team yell. They used the word “Ski”, a Sioux battle cry meaning victory, and combined it with “U-Mah” (representing the University of Minnesota and rhyming with “rah-rah-rah”) to create a team cheer. The phrase stuck and was incorporated into both official school songs, “Hail Minnesota” and more commonly in the “Minnesota Rouser.”

And for the record – it’s “Gold Country”, not Gopher Nation. Basement Brew stepped on that tradition, among others.

adam-bartusek
    New Prague, MN

Whoever says Florida State is going to get thrashed hasn’t watched them play… There are 2 teams on another planet right now and that’s Alabama and Florida State.

In terms of the Gophers… I AM SO HAPPY!

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

The Big 10 is the most overrated football conference in the nation. Remember a few years back when people were complaining Ohio State should have faced Michigan in the Nat Championship game? Both got their buttskies kicked all over the field. The SEC is far and away the best football conference.

mike-west
    Amery, WI

To the best of my Knowledge, Ohio state has played 1 top 25 team this year and that was Wisconsin and a game WI could have easily won.
    Ohio state is not that solid of a football team and everyone stated when the year began, even if Ohio state went un defeated, they wouldn’t get a national championship game based on the ease of there schedule.
    For me, I hope Mich. State spanks em good in the Big Ten Championship.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.