How long does pickled fish keep?

• Paul Heise
    River Falls, Wi

Making my first attempt at pickled pike and walleye. I started a batch tonight in the saltwater soak for 48 hours, then will put it in white vinegar for 24-48 hours, and plan on putting it in brine by this weekend. How long can I expect it to keep in the fridge?

Or would I be better to put it in mason jars (can it) and store it in the cool basement? If so, how do I go about this method? Any tips would be appreciated for either method!

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

It’ll last several months in the fridge. Won’t last long at all in a basement on a shelf.

Paul Heise
    River Falls, Wi

I was thinking of canning them like shelf pickles or tomatoes but did some searching and the only way I could find was with heat, and I’m sure that will make the fish mushy.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I bive “canning” it for the pantry or basement must involve heat. Heat is the only method that will kill the bharmful bacteria. Otherwise it will need to be refrigerated or frozen to prevent or slow bacteria growth.

I’m shooting from the hip on this one so correct me if I’m wrong.

Dadams
    Emmetsburg, Iowa

The beginning of your process sounds like the recipe I posted here a few weeks ago. I never have to worry about shelf life because its always GONE within a few weeks. I would suggest to keep it in fridge. I do like to jar my fish in large mouth jars so I can get fish out easier.

Dang it! Just ate and now I am hungry for pickled fish. Be back soon

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

One thing about using heat is that it kills the tape worms that are found in some pike. It’s the recommended method of pickling fish.

The next best way was to freeze the fish for 21 days (?) prior to pickling.

I’ve always cold pickled, but then I need to lose some weight.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Broad Fish Tapeworm, Diphyllobothrium latum
    Adult broad fish tapeworms are found in the small intestine of fish-eating mammals such as bears, cats, and otters. They are huge worms, often more than several yards long. Several species of fish, primarily northern pike, carry these tapeworm larvae. If you eat improperly cooked fish infected with these larvae, they are likely to grow in your intestines too.
    Life Cycle: 1 The eggs pass in the droppings of the host mammal to water, where they hatch into free-swimming forms called coracidia.
    2 Coracidia are eaten by microscopic crustaceans called copepods. Inside the copepods, they develop into larvae called procercoids.
    3 When a fish eats an infected copepod, the procercoids move into the fish tissues. They develop into wormlike forms called plerocercoids.
    4 When a mammal eats an infected fish, the plerocercoid attaches to the wall of its intestine and grows into a mature tapeworm.
    Effects on Fish: A broad fish tapeworm does not weaken a fish or stunt its growth. If a healthy northern pike, for example, eats an infected fish, the plerocercoid will migrate into the pike’s flesh and encyst again. The plerocercoid will not develop into an adult tapeworm until a mammal eats the fish.
    Effects on People: Warning—if you eat an infected fish, tapeworms are likely to grow in your digestive tract. They are not only gross, but they also can cause a nutrient deficiency, especially a vitamin deficiency. People have died after getting this type of tapeworm from sources such as inadequately cooked or cold-processed pickled northern pike.
    To avoid this tapeworm, only eat thoroughly cooked fish. Cold-process pickling does not kill tapeworms or cysts! If you pickle fish, be sure to use heat in the processing.

MN Volunter~ Things you don’t want to eat raw<<

Mike Stephens
    WI.

CRAP, that happens when you eat spam also.

Paul Heise
    River Falls, Wi

They have been frozen for about a month so I think I will just cold pickle em and I should be good to go! Thanks guys!

Geerdes
    Brandon, SD 57005

Has to be stored in fridge after pickling. I use mason jars with plastic screw on lids. I did a batch in May and I am still enjoying it. There is a great recipe on IDO from 2007. I have it saved on my computer at home. Maybe someone can put that link up?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.