what tool for my trim and tilt?

• smoke grub

Hi Guys.. my men of wisdom.. I have a leak on the ring of the left ram on my trim and tilt.. its not on the shaft that comes in and out.. but the outside ring its self.. I had this worked on a year or so ago, and it seems that every few months that ring vibrates loose.. that it needs to be tightened. there are four, dots, or imprints on that ring.. where I assume, you put in a tool to turn the ring and tighten it.. what can I use to tighten this ring.. it almost seems like a compass would be something you could use.. but I don’t know.. and I would like to get out at least one more time.. I won’t die if I dont.. but the ring will have to be tightened between now and spring.. before it goes in the water again.. how about some help..

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

It is called a spanner wrench, there are many different designs and uses. Google “Yamaha outboard tilt and trim wrench” and switch it to images.

Dealer can hook you up or ebay or you can make your own with the measurements from your unit.

Sounds like some locktite should be added.

aleb
    Butler county Iowa

Can you get at it with a punch and a hammer?
    You could put the punch in the dimples and tap it lightly to tighten

ironheadr5
    Northeast, Iowa

Quote:

It is called a spanner wrench, there are many different designs and uses. Google “Yamaha outboard tilt and trim wrench” and switch it to images.
    Dealer can hook you up or ebay or you can make your own with the measurements from your unit.
    Sounds like some locktite should be added.

Blue Loctite

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.