A Blast From The Past

• LenH
    Wisconsin

30 years ago I use to sit on warm Fall days at the boardwalk on Kuhsee in Augsburg Germany and sip an Erdinger Dark Weissbier

I found this wonderful beer here locally.

Brings back some sweet memories.

bigpike

Quote:

30 years ago I use to sit on warm Fall days at the boardwalk on Kuhsee in Augsburg Germany and sip an Erdinger Dark Weissbier

I found this wonderful beer here locally.

Brings back some sweet memories.

Now you have found the very depth’s of truly great beer. German Dunkel Wiess. Franziskaner is my favorite, might have to find this one

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Stop it! I need to mow the lawn and not run to every beer store in town looking for this must have item! Perhaps tomorrow…..

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

If it taste anything at all like every single one of the weiss biers I’ve had in the past, you can have it. As a matter of fact, you can have them all.

Pretty sure I could get better tasting bier than that from the back end of cow.

bigpike

Quote:

If it taste anything at all like every single one of the weiss biers I’ve had in the past, you can have it. As a matter of fact, you can have them all.

More for me and Len

LenH
    Wisconsin

Quote:

this is not a weiss beer that tastes like there is lemon pledge mixed with it and the dark part is not molasses like tasting. “woodmans”

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Quote:

Stop holding back Joel!

bigpike

Wikipedia!

Dunkel, or Dunkles, is a word used for several types of dark German lager. Dunkel is the German word meaning dark, and dunkel beers typically range in colour from amber to dark reddish brown. They are characterized by their smooth malty flavour.[1] In informal terms, such as when ordering at a bar, “dunkel” is likely to mean whatever dark beer the bar has on tap, or sells most of; in much of north and western Germany, especially near Düsseldorf, this may be altbier.

In Bavaria, Dunkel, along with helles, is a traditional style brewed in Munich and popular throughout Bavaria. With alcohol concentrations of 4.5% to 6% by volume, dunkels are weaker than Doppelbocks, another traditional dark Bavarian beer. Dunkels are produced using Munich malts which give the Dunkel its colour. Other malts or flavours may also be added.

Many dunkels have a distinctive malty flavour that comes from a special brewing technique called decoction mashing. Most commonly, dunkel beers are dark lagers, but the term is also used to refer to dark wheat beers such as Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse Dunkel. Dunkel weizen is another term used to refer to dark wheat beers, which are fruity and sweet with more dark, roasted malts than their lighter counterpart, the hefeweizen.

ironheadr5
    Northeast, Iowa

More for me and Len

More for all of us

wheres_waldo
    The Big Pond

I had Spaten Octoberfest on Sat. night for $4.50 a 22oz. mug. Outstanding value.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Quote:

Quote:

this is not a weiss beer that tastes like there is lemon pledge mixed with it and the dark part is not molasses like tasting. “woodmans”

That’s a relief!

Quote:

Wikipedia!

Many dunkels have a distinctive malty flavour that comes from a special brewing technique called decoction mashing. Most commonly, dunkel beers are dark lagers, but the term is also used to refer to dark wheat beers such as Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse Dunkel. Dunkel weizen is another term used to refer to dark wheat beers, which are fruity and sweet with more dark, roasted malts than their lighter counterpart, the hefeweizen.

Those wheat beers are the ones I really dislike. Hence the word “weis” brought on a very bad memory of someone giving me a beer that was suppose to be really, really good.
    Apparently that fellow had a completely different idea of what a good beer taste like than I.

All in good fun gentleman!

Enjoy that beer Len!
    We need to share one again soon.

LenH
    Wisconsin

Quote:

I had Spaten Octoberfest on Sat. night for $4.50 a 22oz. mug. Outstanding value.

very good price…

at essen haus that would have been 9.50 typically

LenH
    Wisconsin

Bought two of these.

I choked down the first one and stuck the other in the back of the fridge to give to someone that is really thirsty.

fishingdad

At last some fellow dark beer lovers. My favorite is Warsteiner Premium dunkel. I’d rather have 1 of those than a 6-pack of tastless light beer.

jonboy
    Wausau, WI

Fall of 1977 I was a student in Munich for the year. That brings back memories!

jonboy
    Wausau, WI

Andech’s Kloister Doppelbock for me!

stevew
    Burnsville, MN

I’ll bet it is delicious. I will be on the lookout. For me, when it comes to beer like things, the closest I can come to perfection is Belgian Chimay. For me, this is proof that a kind and merciful God exists.

LenH
    Wisconsin

Quote:

Andech’s Kloister Doppelbock for me!

is only doppelboch I like.

Very hard to find.

LenH
    Wisconsin

just to be fair I sampled a few others lately.

I tried a couple.

Andy Fiolka
    Boise, Idaho

I don’t drink what I can’t pronounce.

I’ll be enjoying one (ok ok 2-3) in roughly an hour.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.