TRICKLE DOWN ECONOMICS

• elk_addict
    Northern IA/Lincoln Lakes Area

TRICKLE DOWN ECONOMICS – Anything trickled your way lately??

Sorry, been a bad week at the old corporate owned company. Even worse, a foreign owned corporation. TGIF

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

I hear ya. I’m sitting here taking deep breathes because some of my coworkers are IDIOTS and the bosses won’t do anything about it. Wish I could retire but that ain’t gonna happen….

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Quote:

TRICKLE DOWN ECONOMICS – Anything trickled your way lately??

Sorry, been a bad week at the old corporate owned company. Even worse, a foreign owned corporation. TGIF

Sounds like you need some Lake Alex Therapy

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

yep! Recent projects

35 yr old roof with 25yr shingles on it. Must be replaced. All shingles are curled and cracking apart!

Home owner only wants one spot that is currently leaking PATCHED, but doesn’t want it to look like a patch job

Kitchen remodel – 10 year old home
    Floor is almost 1-1/2″ out of level, Electrician missed code compliant outlet spacing, No outlet behind refrigerator, Microhood not vented to exterior, floor joist are minimal compliant and bounces when you walk across it. Way too little of existing cabinet space (18lnft in a 2300 sqft home????) and no closet or pantry. Existing cabinets are 3/8″ thick particle board that are hot glued and stapled together….and they wonder why the boxes are falling apart.
    Home owner wants:
    Tiled floor, granite tops, more storage, new dishwasher( no existing washer), vented hood over stove, fixed drywall cracks, FIX the existing cabinets, add recess lights, under cabinet lights, water line to fridge for ice maker, ……. Another words a miracle – Budget $9K

Yep, it’s trickling alright and my wife wonders why i have focused on guiding full time

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Quote:

Budget $9k

Lmao, now that’s a good one to start off the weekend

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Pretty slow week at this company to. Think its time to close up shop for the week and head north early. That always seems to get the phone ringing.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Quote:

yep! Recent projects

35 yr old roof with 25yr shingles on it. Must be replaced. All shingles are curled and cracking apart!

Home owner only wants one spot that is currently leaking PATCHED, but doesn’t want it to look like a patch job

Kitchen remodel – 10 year old home
    Floor is almost 1-1/2″ out of level, Electrician missed code compliant outlet spacing, No outlet behind refrigerator, Microhood not vented to exterior, floor joist are minimal compliant and bounces when you walk across it. Way too little of existing cabinet space (18lnft in a 2300 sqft home????) and no closet or pantry. Existing cabinets are 3/8″ thick particle board that are hot glued and stapled together….and they wonder why the boxes are falling apart.
    Home owner wants:
    Tiled floor, granite tops, more storage, new dishwasher( no existing washer), vented hood over stove, fixed drywall cracks, FIX the existing cabinets, add recess lights, under cabinet lights, water line to fridge for ice maker, ……. Another words a miracle – Budget $9K

Yep, it’s trickling alright and my wife wonders why i have focused on guiding full time

Blame the DIY network.
    Come to think of it, it sounds like they did the job in the first place.
    Feel for ya Randy, this H.O. needs a reality check.
    What they really need is to be at.

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

I still do not have my new appliances from sears.

I pulled an o-fer last night up here on Mille Lacs.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Quote:

yep! Recent projects

Home owner wants:

Geeze Randy. I would never expect to get that icemaker water line thrown in on only a 9k budget.

Grouse

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I thought it was middle class out or up, something like that now? Welcome to the new norm or as I call it, just a couple more years.

elk_addict
    Northern IA/Lincoln Lakes Area

Remember the good ole days? You needed a new refrigerator, went to Sears, picked out the one you wanted and loaded it up. Now you look at several, pick out the perfect one, they look it up and tell you sorry, not in stock.

The last time I bought one the poor young salesman got an ear full from me. How can you sell something if you do not have it? My typical appliance purchase revolves around the current one just quit, don’t have time to wait for a frig, food is rotting!!

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Its so hard to keep from drifting into another political/corporate rant. But, I blame the ’70’s. I have a 1960’s freezer – still runs, metal interior, could use it as a bomb shelter if needed. Know anyone that still has any products from the 70’s still in use???
    Somewhere/sometime we allowed cheapening our standards – including our ethics. Government doesn’t equally represent The People, Corporate America is all share holder driven to screw quality for the sake of maximizing profits, and people in general don’t care to be supporting of each other. The ME factor has run its course and now our disposable society needs to be flushed down the toilet.

out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

Only thing positive about a bad economy is a good stock market. (wow that was weird typing that). How long till that corrects its self?

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Quote:

Its so hard to keep from drifting into another political/corporate rant. But, I blame the ’70’s. I have a 1960’s freezer – still runs, metal interior, could use it as a bomb shelter if needed. Know anyone that still has any products from the 70’s still in use???
    Somewhere/sometime we allowed cheapening our standards – including our ethics. Government doesn’t equally represent The People, Corporate America is all share holder driven to screw quality for the sake of maximizing profits, and people in general don’t care to be supporting of each other. The ME factor has run its course and now our disposable society needs to be flushed down the toilet.

I’m not an expert on this stuff but my opinion is that Wallstreet has become way to powerful and is the driving force behind many corporate decisions. Causing cutbacks which lessens quality all in the cause to increase profits which increases stock value. The announcement of projected earnings to Wallstreet is a very critical day for a company. Just my two cents.

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

Minnesota recovers all the jobs lost in the recession Posted by: Adam Belz Updated: September 19, 2013 – 12:30 PM

Minnesota’s job market in August surpassed its pre-recession peak, adding 12,200 jobs in its strongest month since January.

The unemployment rate ticked downward to 5.1 percent, compared to a national unemployment rate of 7.3 percent, the Minnesota Department of Employment and Economic Development reported Thursday.

It is a watershed moment for the state, which becomes the 17th in the nation to return to its prerecession levels of employment, said Steve Hine, labor market economist for the state.

“We have certainly passed a milestone that’s a significant one,” Hine said. “After 19 months of rapid decline and 47 months of modest growth, we’re now 5,100 jobs above our previous peak.”

The peak was set in February 2008, when 2.78 million people in Minnesota had jobs.

But the mix of available jobs has shifted. While some industries with high-paid jobs have added employment, key middle-class sectors like construction and manufacturing still employ far fewer people than they did in 2008.

“A lot of the job mix that we see now compared to 2008 would be shifted towards generally lesser-paying occupations than we might have seen before the recession hit,” Hine said.

Minnesota had a near-record number of job openings this summer, and good jobs are available, but the median wage offer has fallen to $12.50 an hour and available jobs have increasingly been temporary.

Logging and mining, financial activities, professional and business services, education and health care, leisure and hospitality, and government all employ more people now than they did in early 2008.

Construction, manufacturing, trade transportation and utilities and information still employ fewer people than they did in 2008.

About 152,000 people remain unemployed in Minnesota. That’s the lowest number since April 2008, but not low enough to signal that all is well with the state economy.

“We would be much happier with about 30,000 fewer unemployed Minnesotans by these official numbers than we currently have,” Hine said.

As of July, 16 states had surpassed their pre-recession employment levels, Hine said.

Colorado, Iowa, Montana, Nebraska, North Dakota, Texas, Utah and West Virginia were above their peak. Employment in Alaska, the District of Columbia, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, New York, Oklahoma and South Dakota had risen above the prerecession peak in the past 12 months, but since declined.

Wisconsin is Minnesota’s only neighbor in neither category.

The big gainers in Minnesota in August were private education, which recovered from an inexplicable dip in July, Hine said, and retail trade, transportation and warehousing, and health care.

The state’s labor force participation rate – the percentage of people who could work who are either working or looking for a job – fell to 70.3 percent, its lowest rate since January 1982.

But Hine said that’s mostly a reflection of the state’s aging population, as the number of discouraged workers appears to have fallen over the past 12 months.

“The number of discouraged workers in Minnesota has fallen from 10,900 last August to 6,900 this August, so that does suggest that the decline that we’re seeing in participation rates is driven more by demographic or permanent factors,” he said.

One area of concern is manufacturing, which shed 3,400 jobs on the month and has lost 8,500 jobs since January.

“Manufacturing is really struggling,” Hine said. “It’s the third consecutive month of decline for the sector.”

The state has added 63,100 jobs in the past year, a 2.3 percent growth rate that exceeds the national rate of 1.7 percent.

Minnesota’s job market in August surpassed its pre-recession peak, adding 12,200 jobs in its strongest month since January.

The unemployment rate ticked downward to 5.1 percent, compared to a national unemployment rate of 7.3 percent, the Minnesota Department of Employment and Economic Development reported Thursday.

It is a watershed moment for the state, which becomes the 17th in the nation to return to its prerecession levels of employment, said Steve Hine, labor market economist for the state.

“We have certainly passed a milestone that’s a significant one,” Hine said. “After 19 months of rapid decline and 47 months of modest growth, we’re now 5,100 jobs above our previous peak.”

The peak was set in February 2008, when 2.78 million people in Minnesota had jobs.

But the mix of available jobs has shifted. While some industries with high-paid jobs have added employment, key middle-class sectors like construction and manufacturing still employ far fewer people than they did in 2008.

“A lot of the job mix that we see now compared to 2008 would be shifted towards generally lesser-paying occupations than we might have seen before the recession hit,” Hine said.

Minnesota had a near-record number of job openings this summer, and good jobs are available, but the median wage offer has fallen to $12.50 an hour and available jobs have increasingly been temporary.

Logging and mining, financial activities, professional and business services, education and health care, leisure and hospitality, and government all employ more people now than they did in early 2008.

Construction, manufacturing, trade transportation and utilities and information still employ fewer people than they did in 2008.

About 152,000 people remain unemployed in Minnesota. That’s the lowest number since April 2008, but not low enough to signal that all is well with the state economy.

“We would be much happier with about 30,000 fewer unemployed Minnesotans by these official numbers than we currently have,” Hine said.

As of July, 16 states had surpassed their pre-recession employment levels, Hine said.

Colorado, Iowa, Montana, Nebraska, North Dakota, Texas, Utah and West Virginia were above their peak. Employment in Alaska, the District of Columbia, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, New York, Oklahoma and South Dakota had risen above the prerecession peak in the past 12 months, but since declined.

Wisconsin is Minnesota’s only neighbor in neither category.

The big gainers in Minnesota in August were private education, which recovered from an inexplicable dip in July, Hine said, and retail trade, transportation and warehousing, and health care.

The state’s labor force participation rate – the percentage of people who could work who are either working or looking for a job – fell to 70.3 percent, its lowest rate since January 1982.

But Hine said that’s mostly a reflection of the state’s aging population, as the number of discouraged workers appears to have fallen over the past 12 months.

“The number of discouraged workers in Minnesota has fallen from 10,900 last August to 6,900 this August, so that does suggest that the decline that we’re seeing in participation rates is driven more by demographic or permanent factors,” he said.

One area of concern is manufacturing, which shed 3,400 jobs on the month and has lost 8,500 jobs since January.

“Manufacturing is really struggling,” Hine said. “It’s the third consecutive month of decline for the sector.”

The state has added 63,100 jobs in the past year, a 2.3 percent growth rate that exceeds the national rate of 1.7 percent.

Statement from Minnesota Governor Dayton:

Office of Governor Mark Dayton • http://www.mn.gov/governor

Ok, So now they say Minnesota gained back all of the Job , we should all be smiling in Minnesota RIGHT? NO.

What these number don’t tell is approx. 75% are part-time or not Full-time jobs and/or wages for each of these job has been reduced due to supply & demand!

Point being with these facts:
    Dec. 2006 I was working 45-50 hours per week with hours over 40/wk at overtime 1-1/2X regular rate giving me a gross between 75-85K plus company paid benefits (Medical @ 65%, Dental @ 50%, Short & Long Term disability, 18 days paid vacation, 6-sick days, 13 holiday, Matching 401K at 5%, Profit Sharing in ESOP, etc. total value over 15K/year.

Sept 2013: 3X layoffs and new jobs later with new salary of <$55K very limited overtime, 10-vacation and 3-sick days, 8-holidays. No Medical or Dental or other insurance benefits.

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

I have an 87 sears washer and dryer and refrig all running strong. Gave the stove to broinlaw and they are still using. My 1995 stove and fridge are both junk already.

Paulski
    “Ever Wonder Why There Are No Democrats On Mount Rushmore ? "

Am I mis – reading that glowing jobs report where they are celebrating it only took 5 years to recover all the jobs lost going back to 2008 ?

That is a positive spin only government could get away with because we let them …

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Quote:

That is a positive spin only government could get away with because we let them …

So, who has stood up to make them accountable for their actions?

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Quote:

I bought a scratch and dent freezer from JC PENNEYS IN 1978 that’s still going strong!!!

haasjj
    Cordova, IL

Quote:

Preach on brother!!!

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

For what its worth, a guy I worked for last year wanted to get rid of an old refridgerator. It was one of the old round tops that was made in the late 40’s early 50’s and I asked whats wrong with it, his reply was nothing, just want to get rid of it. He was using it for an extra refrig. at holidays when there was more food too cook and left overs. The light inside even worked. I had to turn it down and wanted it but didn’t have the room, even thought about using it as a smoker, would have made a good crawler cooler because it was dependable.

Paulski

Quote:

Not many, hence the reason so many states and the federal government are in debt up to their eyeballs…

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I talked to guy a couple years ago that worked at The Amana refrigeration plant a few miles from here, Amana appliances. He told me the compressors are made in China and are designed to work no more then 10 years if your lucky. All we need now is for the Japanese to start making refrigerators, like they did when they seen the auto problem here in the States, the doors wide open it looks like to me, disposable and all for the buck.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Quote:

Quote:

Well those protesters last summer at least made some headlines. But then again those conservative “trickle down” economics people just laughed and called them hippies

drifter295
    Hastings MN

I have a gas stove from Montgomery Wards in my kitchen, when I bought my home in 1987 the people I bought it from said that stove is almost 20 years old hope you don’t mind if we leave it behind, still used on a daily basis.

On another note, we recently filled a position at work, $15.00 an hour to start, full bennies after 90 days. Ran ads in 3 local papers and on the internet for 30 days. Granted the pay isn’t great but it is a full time job with regular pay progressions, how many people do you think applied?

2 yes only 2 I spoke with several people I know about the job and promised them a real opportunity if they apply, more than once I was told….I have xxxxx amount of weeks of unemployment left why should I go back to work so soon? It’s become a mindset in my opinion.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

We are open for business if you know someone.

Paulski

Quote:

Well those protesters last summer at least made some headlines. But then again those conservative “trickle down” economics people just laughed and called them hippies

Hippie – old indian name for professional protester …

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Best thing we did was quit playing the game. Life hasn’t been much better and we haven’t made so little money in years. There is something to be said for simplifying your life. I hear what you guys are saying. It still isn’t good out there.

Don’t even get me going on the govt! If a person wants to be a lazy POS they will hold your hand and help you out. But if you have a proven track record of success in the education and job world, when you ask for some help, you are shown the door.

hnd

Quote:

Quote:

I’m not an expert on this stuff but my opinion is that Wallstreet has become way to powerful and is the driving force behind many corporate decisions. Causing cutbacks which lessens quality all in the cause to increase profits which increases stock value. The announcement of projected earnings to Wallstreet is a very critical day for a company. Just my two cents.

business’ and the gvt have been allowed to do whatever they want by the american people. waahhh i hate large corporations (still goes to walmart because its closer and cheaper) wahhhh i hate wallstreet (still gives them all your investments)

now we’ve gone this far down the rabbit hole, we are going to have a hard time finding our way out.

hnd

trickle down only works when businesses have confidence in the future. the last two regimes have done nothing to instill the type of confidence needed for businesses to start spending money all nilly willy again. this looming healthcare crap is also not helping.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.