Don’t ever forget

• sinister-fishing
    Omaha, Ne for now

Lets not forget the devastating events that happened twelve years ago. Say a prayer for all the victims and there loved ones

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Where were you on this September morn’?

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Driving into work when the second plane hit. I was listening to KQ and I can remember them saying, this can’t be an accident. Up to that point I assumed it was a Cessna or smaller plane.

I had to throw the alarm clock away with the chimes that sounded like church bells, because when I woke up that morning, they were talking about the first plane.

Living on Minnetonka blv just off 100, I still remember the eery silence of no planes in the air accept the occasional jet fighter way up in the sky.

I also remember the towers looking like the were leaning and ready to implode and saying, that building is going to come down.

gary d
    cordova,il

Working at 3M in the boiler house. Came back to control room to start boiler and a operator said a plane hit a building in New York. Then saw on the computer.

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

MSP International… We will be honoring all today, by observing a moment of silence to reflect on all those who lost their lives that day when the first plane hit the tower.

And to all those who have served, and made the ulitmate sacrifice during this war.

Never forget

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

I was at work in the conference room conducting a business meeting with a supplier. Shortly after 9 a.m. our receptionist entered the room and handed a coworker a note and I remember the confusion on her face when she read the note. She left the room and came back a short while later announcing there was a problem in New York City. We turned on the television and watched the event unfold.

Needless to say our meeting ended quickly.

g38
    South metro

At work, listening to KQ. Usual banter and b.s. changed in a heartbeat when the second plane hit.
    My son and I had brought the boat that morning, planning on fishin’ cats on the Minnesota later that day. Got to Carver and the line for gas by the quik stop was blocks long. River was super quiet, kind of eerie feeling.
    As a side note this morning had a “here’s your sign” moment – wearing my FDNY cap as a tribute – coworker says – “oh, are you wearing that cap for 9-11?”. ” NO, I want to be a fireman when I grow up…”
    God Bless America, please.
    Gregg

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I was getting ready to head to my physics class. Junior year at SJU.

My wife was abroad in Ireland at the time. She said it was strange watching it unfold from the other side of the pond.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Was one of the 1st days of working for myself. Seem to remember it was a monday or tuesday. Ended up sitting down with the homeowners and other construction workers of the remodel job I was on and watching the events. Called home to say hi to the wife. Ended up heading home about mid day that day.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Flew into Chicago Midway in the early morning. I was to be picked up by a co worker, but they couldn’t make it so they rented a car for me. Good thing as I wouldn’t have been able to get home otherwise.

Driving on one of the freeways very close to the Sears Tower (rumored as a target) we received a phone call to turn on the radio.

Figured it was a small plan crash as well.

Once setup for our career fair in Joliet, we watch the mess on the lobby tv. We didn’t have that many interviews that day.

Later that night there was a ruckus in the hotel I was staying at. Apparently it wasn’t a good day to be wearing a turban in America.

All the phones/cell phone service was out. Connected with the family for a short time during the day, but pretty much all day the phones were overloaded.

This can’t happen in America…right?

Paulski
    “Ever Wonder Why There Are No Democrats On Mount Rushmore ? "

I was at work when reports started coming in about New York. I work near the MPLS airport and pretty much watch planes land and take off all day long outside my window.

I hope to never have to watch so many planes land in such a short amount of time ever again…

pauleye78
    New Hope/ Onamia

My wife and I were in Estes Park CO enjoying the beauty of Rocky Mountain Park. We went to the top that day and along with the other visitors there we had a impromptu prayer. I will never forget that day!

sinister-fishing
    Omaha, Ne for now

I was on a landscape job when our customer came out and said there where 2 planes that flew into the towers. He brought out a t.v, needless to say we didn’t get much done that day

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

America didn’t get much done as far as regular work that day.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Sitting in geometry high school. Shortly after watching the 2nd plane hit everyone joined in prayers over the load speaker(catholic school).

Between watching the events of that day unfold, and the gruesome beheading online, changed my mind quite a bit on evil in the world and how to react to it.

blackbay

A co worker and I were at the Super America off 94 in Woodbury fueling the truck. We has KQ on loud enough that we could hear it outside the truck. Once we got to where we were going we kept the truck doors open with the radio on full blast so we could keep up with what was going on. Later I, like everyone else, plopped down in front of the TV to watch all the news coverage. Later that week we were on the St Croix watching the fighter planes flying patterns over the Cities. It’s still hard to grasp why.

If you have Google Earth look at Manhattan Island and look at the historical imagery. There is a satellite image from 9/2001 with smoke coming from the site of the trade towers.

icefanatic11
    Birnamwood, WI

Sitting in my 4th grade art classroom, all of a sudden our principal busted into the room saying “Turn the TV on we are under attack!” Being only 9 at the time it was complete chaos and I didn’t know what to think or how to act. It’s odd but I can still see the shocked look on my teachers face, her daughter was in New York at the time but luckily was not near the twin towers.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I was in Yellowstone National Park with my wife and some friends from England. This was their great American western roadtrip.

I had gotten up early on 9/11/01 to take a picture of the sun rising over Lake Yellowstone and then we were packing up the camper to drive to Rapid City to stopover on our way home.

I have a photograph of the sun rising over Lake Yellowstone that’s time stamped with the exact minute the first plane hit the towers.

We drove all morning listening to CDs in the truck as radio reception is poor for most of the way out into Wyoming. We got all the way out to Sheridan before we pulled off to stop for fuel at about 1:00 PM MST. As soon as we got off the freeway, I knew something was terribly wrong. There were cars lined up for gas at every gas station and people were running everywhere. I said right away to my wife, turn on the radio, something’s wrong and it’s bad.

I went inside the station and there were people everwhere staring up at a TV. It took about 5 minutes of those images playing over and over again before I could even begin to comprehend what had happened.

Beyond the obvious tragedy, we had a real situation on our hands. We had two guests from another country with us, hundreds of miles from home, there was a run on the gas stations, and all air traffic in the US had been halted for an undetermined period of time.

We took the back roads across SD to get home. My reasoning was that smaller, rural areas away from freeways were less likely to run out of gas due to panic buying. I was on edge the whole way home wondering if/how long we could be stranded. Luckily we had our camper and food, but this situation was a modern Perl Harbor and nowbody knew where it was heading.

We got back to the cities and then another adventure started. Our guests from the UK had to try to get information on when/how they were going to ever get home.

Never forget.

Grouse

DIRTBALL2
    WARROAD,MN.USA

While sitting in an examination room at the Champlin Medical Center, my doctor, Paul Westling, came back into the room and informed me what had happened! I didn’t grab the import of what he had told me until I got back home and saw everything so horrible on the TV! I will never forget! DIRTBALL2

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Working at home, was at the kitchen table with Good Morning America on tv in the background. Charlie Gibson was talking on the first plane impact and all the speculation. I was watching a view of the scene over his shoulder when the second plane hit on live tv. I was like oh my god… and at the same time he lost his concentration, and was speechless. He hardly kept it together. I couldn’t help but feel the tears come on… and the day was spent in shock in front of that tv. Odd as it may be, I don’t think I’ve ever watched the show again after that. Never realized it, but I think that was the last day. The world truly changed that day.

I know of a couple guys that were in Wyoming fishing in the way back hills at the time. It was almost a week before they came out and heard the news. We talked about it… can’t imagine not having been caught up in all that news and those feelings. That said, maybe there is a blessing in not knowing for that long… they had a great week locked away from everything they couldn’t have controlled anyway.

I stay away from the new a lot more now… in today’s world, it is so easy to get overload on all the bad stuff…. something to be said for the week those guys had outdoors, no electronics, no outside influences. Everyone deserves a break like that at times.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I was a PM at a communications company and was at work that morning. My wife called me and asked if I could watch the news and told me about the plan crash. She stated that ity was really weird (She has flown into NYC a couple of times) and planes don’t fly by there. I turned the TV on the break room just a minute before the second crash.
    The realism hit me the most a couple days later when I learned the fate of a flight team I had just worked with in Ohio. Their next project was in NYC… All 9 were killed in the Tower.
    I was building my house at the time after hours. For the next few nights, I sat outside of this box and stared at the empty skies. Ironically, the night of Sept 12th had one of the most spectacular vies of the northern lights from here. Around midnight, the rays of light seemed to come to a circle around the moon and appeared to have a single ray of light illuminating to the south east. Just found myself staring at that for hours while I thought about what the future may hold. Sadly, many of my thoughts became reality.

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

I was on my way into work listening to KQ. I work downtown Mpls. As said above… when they were talking about the first plane, I assumed a cessna. then the second plane hit. I remember exactly where I was on the road when the second plane hit… I was driving down hwy 10 and was on the turn-off/ramp to get onto 610. After I got to work, we had the TVs on. Although i was in a call center, there were no phone calls coming in. We watched it unfold on the tv… and then we heard that they were evacuating the IDS tower. We all got a bit nervous. not sure if that was rumor or not… but it shook us none the less. Headed home a bit early and continued to watch and pray all night.

Chris
    Rochester, MN

Waiting to enter a calculus classroom while watching the event unfold on one of the school’s hallway TVs.

I’ll never forget. Glad justice was served to the mastermind.

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

Second year at UWP, Tuesday mornings were my sleep in days that semester as I didn’t have a class until 11Am. Overslept, and had to rush through a shower and get ready for class so I didn’t do my normal internet browsing and TV watching that morning, as I came down into the lobby of the dorm I caught a glimpse of it on the TV, thought it was some movie at first. Then someone else said something and I realized what was going on. I was late for class, after watching it, but it didn’t really seem to matter anyway.

That night my grandfather passed away, I never even thought about it until I read Grouse’s story, but now I wonder how my brother and his family got home by friday for the funeral as he was stationed at the AFB in Boston Mass. at the time.

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

Quote:

Lets not forget the devastating events that happened twelve years ago. Say a prayer for all the victims and there loved ones

X2

I was working for Carver County Public Works in the office on a Highway Design project.

Hard to believe it was 12 years ago.
    Since that time I’ve gained:
    2-good Son Inlaws, 1-good Daughter Inlaw, 2-grandsons & 1-granddaughter, numerous experiences fishing and 30#.

rwmcvean

I was a medical resident and had been on call the night prior, got absolutely no sleep. Nurses and others in the hospital had TV’s on and all of them were pretty much tuned to the same new channel. When we started going into rooms to see patients in the morning I thought I was hallucinating seeing all the drama unfold. We still had to keep seeing patients but I paid attention to the TV much more than the patients (sorry whoever I took care of that day).

A friend of mine was in Alaska moose hunting out in the bush. When the return plane didn’t come to pick him up that day, and the next day, and then next 4-5 days, they really got worried. I think they were in the woods something like an extra 5 days before planes were allowed to fly again, even bush planes like they got picked up on.

jerrj01
    Hudson, WI

Working at home. I’m an IT guy so I can. The t.v. was off all morning. I turned it on just after the second plane hit and was really confused at first then I unerstood what had happened. I’m still pi$$ed that anyone would do such a horrible thing. I will never forget.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.