MN/WI only weighing 4 but #5 stays in livewell

• Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

True to my nature I’m often trying to figure stuff out. Does anyone else understand this? There is a river tournament coming up, were they made this ruling: you can bring 5 fish to the scales but only weigh 4? I’ve gotten a couple phone calls asking if I understand this bring five fish in (if you can) but only weigh four. I don’t quite get this bringing in 5 but only weigh 4? Why not weigh five if you have them? I mean if you do have 4 fish in the box, of course you can legally keep fishing until you get something bigger then what you have. But what is the down side to not weighing five? It seems to me that this favors the folks who only catch 3-4 fish and not recognize those that do or can catch five?

It is like grading a guy who takes five tests, gets “A”‘s on all of them and another guy takes five – flunks one; and they both get the same grade? I don’t understand what regulations are broken by weighing five fish? I don’t see why the playing field needs to be tilted toward the less skilled anglers?

Can someone explain this to me?

Paul Heise
    River Falls, Wi

Maybe because of the no culling laws. It leaves room for a bigger fish to be added. Catch your 4 and then fish for that last BIG fish to add by the end of the day!

onestout
    Hudson, WI

I’ve seen a lot of tourneys that way. Simple solution is if you don’t like it, don’t fish it.

BassinBill
    La Crosse, Wi

Quote:

Maybe because of the no culling laws. It leaves room for a bigger fish to be added. Catch your 4 and then fish for that last BIG fish to add by the end of the day!

This would be my best guess also.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Might have been a condition of the permit. For instance the permit limit is 4 fish. But the legal limit is 6 per person. So a tourney boat could legally have 12 fish in the well. Either the state or tourney director makes the limit 5 fish for conservation reasons. Especially in summer water temps.

-J.

kroger3
    blaine mn

My guess is its a no cull water. Also helps keep the weights a little closer by needing one less fish and allowing you to box out then go for a pig.

Last MTT event on Mille Lacs was a box 4 but weigh 2 event.

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

That makes sense.

Eric Pomplun
    janesville, wisconsin

wisconsin changed their no cull law and now only in bass tournaments you can cull. must be something with the permit is my guess

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.