Used Truck Buying Advise?

• dirk_w.
    Minnesota

I need some advise. I found a truck that was owned by a older couple (2003 f150 crew cab). The truck is in great shape, not used for towing, and has no rust from what I can tell. The one kicker is that it has 110,000 miles and the gentleman said he had never changed the transmission fluid. What’s the bottom line? My gut is saying just walk away and continue the search….but I like the truck otherwise.

396ranger
    Cottage Grove MN

Depends on price motor options. I’ve ran my trucks that long with out changing the fluid. Heck I only changed it in my current truck because it had a stuck shift solenoid or it would have not gotten changed for a while longer and I’m at 96000

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I never replaced it in my 99 F150 and I traded it in at 230,000 miles.

I wouldn’t worry unless he had a plow on it.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Keep in mind tranny fluid isn’t like oil. ATF doesn’t get polluted by the combustion residue, heat, etc.

Also there’s the change interval. At most he missed 1 change.

Grouse

BassMasterFunk
    White Bear Lake, MN

I have 1996 Saturn with 223,000 miles on it and the tranny fluid has never been changed, transmission shifts perfect. I had a 2000 Ford f150 with 5.4 liter, flushed the tranny fluid at 70,000 and 130,000, transmission went out at 135,000. My mechanic told me it was a fluke because those trannies were pretty strong and reliable. The truck only towed my boat the last few years before I sold it in 2011. Its probably fine if they never towed or drove it hard. I’d be more worried about the spark plugs if they’ve never been replaced. I know if they were left long enough, they would seize up in the aluminum heads.

Zach H

I have a 03′ F-150 with the 5.4 and I love my truck. I bought I used with 70,000 miles on it and have had awesome luck with it! IMO I would never buy a new truck due to the fact that you loose at least 30% of the value as soon as you drive it off the lot. I just bought a Skeeter this spring and the truck pulls the boat great. Can’t tell its even back there. I would say if its in good shape and it runs great I would pull the trigger on it. I am going to run my truck as long as I possibly can, due to the fact I love it so much. Good luck on finding what you want!

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

04′ 150 with 235,000 miles on it. Original tranny, I’ve done fluids twice on it.
    Would not sweat it, maybe have it done once you buy it for peace of mind.

dog2th
    Omaha, NE

As mentioned, just change filter/fluids when you buy it.
    Or better yet, have it inspected and have your offer hinge on the inspection.
    A reputable repair shop near me did just that for me this spring. They found a few small items that needed attention and gave me an itemized repair estimate. I showed the estimate to the truck’s owner and asked for that amount off of my best offer. He agreed and I am very happy with the purchase. And the estimate cost me $66.00. Cheap peace of mind.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.