Nice gill on Flicker shad

• Jeff Bennett
    Lake Puckaway Wi.

Trolling on Lake Mendota and got a nice 10 inch gill.

bigpike

That’s pretty much awesome

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Nice bluegill. I have to give credit to the humble bluegill, some of them really try to punch obove their weight.

Weekend before last, I caught 2 very big bluegills. On a spinnerbait while fishing for bass.

Grouse

adam-bartusek
    New Prague, MN

I always think it’s hilarious when that happens. I catch them on senko’s and jigs under docks as well.

jerry b
    western WI

Maybe guarding a nest?? I get crappies like that, figure they were either territorial or nesting. Either way, nice catch jerr

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Nice gill. Its always cool to see an aggressive fish like that. Half the best fishing stories don’t even involve big fish, but instead some of the crazy things that happen.

If they can’t fit it in their mouth, my guess is they are reacting and/or trying to kill the wounded prey. Once killed, they can pick it apart. I used to see that happen with raising fish. And I think we see more often fish chasing a large bait, hoping the bait will tire out so they can attack it.

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

My cousin’s grandparents live in Arkansas and they commonly fish sunfish with small crankbaits. Probably smaller than the flicker shad but crank baits none the less. They get some pretty nice Red Ears.

Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

Quote:

Nice gill.
    If they can’t fit it in their mouth, my guess is they are reacting and/or trying to kill the wounded prey. Once killed, they can pick it apart. I used to see that happen with raising fish. And I think we see more often fish chasing a large bait, hoping the bait will tire out so they can attack it.

That or they are feeding on “bait balls” and they are assuming that your lure is multiple baitfish schooling tightly together. Not to pitch a brand but Live Target just came out with their bait ball series that is one lure that looks like a tight school. I’m not convinced but I’m open to the concept.

http://www.livetargetlures.com/

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.