pain advice

• broncosguy
    Blaine, MN

pain from the lower back to the front thigh. have a little degenerative disc, but cotarizing the nerves did not work. surgery is not a option as “not bad” enough yet, but also they cant do anything. anyone got a docter to recommend? or ideas?

thansk

Palerider77

Call Rapp Chiropractic in Rosemount. It will be a bit of a drive from Blaine, but they are very talented and have improved my quality of life.

broncosguy
    Blaine, MN

CHIROPRACTIC is out. as sore to touch or move. just not sure. icing, heat stretching not helping. ibuprophen not either.

jakefroyum

I have lower back disk issues. I got an inversion table and used it very regularly for a couple weeks when I first got it and now only once in a while if I can tell its starting to act up. I am pain free about 95% of the time now.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

4 shots of tequila??????????

handy

Midwest spine, stillwater. Dr Sager. Taking wife there tomorrow for a cortizone injection. He’s thebest we’ve seen yet, and there have been quite a few.

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

I have 4 herniated discs. 2 of them, L4-L5 and L5-S1, are full thickness dorsal annular tears, L3-L4 is abnormal morphology with dorsal and ventral outer annular fissuring and L2-L3 mildly abnormal with inner annular fissuring laterally on the left and posteriorly.

In short.. my back is messed up. I am a candidate for surgery, but at 38, my doctor suggests I wait as long as the pain and misery will allow me to wait. As of now, the only thing they can do is a fusion. Because of the levels.. it would be a 4 level fusion. Once you get a fusion, the discs above begin to go bad and would be back in for another fusion within 5 years.

I would highly suggest Physicians Neck and Back Clinic. It sucks at first and has even caused my back to go out numerous times… but once the strength builds up, it is fantastic. It helps the pain hands down. My back hasn’t gone out in a year and a half. That doesn’t mean I don’t have daily pain… I do… but not quite as bad as before.

minnesota_tom
    Grand Meadow, MN

Several years ago, I had some of the same symptoms. Chiropractor didn’t help, and cortizone only helped short term. Come to find out, I had been misdiagnosed and ended up having hip replacement surgery. Hopefully they can get to the problem and get you straightened out soon.. Good luck.

tsamp
    eldora, iowa

Tramadol?

Arnie Nichols

Hey Jeff. Just got back from the VA Clinic in Hibbing due to back pain (loading wood). The doctor asked if I had any cyan (sp) pepper at home. Said to mix about 1/2 teaspoon with olive oil to make a paste and spread it over the sore part of my back. Does something to sooth the nerves. Never heard of such a thing but she seems to know her stuff. If that does not work try McMasters.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Quote:

4 shots of tequila??????????

… twice a day as needed for pain. Refills as needed. Take with food, preferably Mexican food.

b-curtis
    Farmington, MN

I’m sure most will laugh as I did when first mentioned to me, but have you thought of acupuncture? I have issues with my neck and migraines and somehow sticking needles all over relieved a lot of the pain. My chiropractor is the one that suggested it.

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

Quote:

I’m sure most will laugh as I did when first mentioned to me, but have you thought of acupuncture? I have issues with my neck and migraines and somehow sticking needles all over relieved a lot of the pain. My chiropractor is the one that suggested it.

I have been advised of and thought of the same thing. If it were for headaches, muscle pain, etc… I would jump all over it. MY back pain, however, goes right to the sciatic nerve (?sp) many times. It fans out from there. I have a difficult time believing that needles into a very thin layer of skin can remove pain that is so deep that it makes me wich of passing out at times… For lighter symptoms, yes. For pure back pain… I wonder.

BassMasterFunk
    White Bear Lake, MN

Physicians Neck and Back program will definitely strengthen your back. I went to Optimum Spine center in Maplewood and went through a similar program and physical therapy. While my pain isn’t completely gone, my back is very strong and just feels a lot more structurally sound than it was. Not sure what your diet is like, but try cutting all the sugar, salt, gluten, starchy carbohydrates, processed foods and replace with veggies, fruits and lots of water (more veggies than anything). Sounds drastic, but the pain is probably worse than a change in diet. You’d be surprised what a change in diet will do for pain symptoms and management. If you’re overweight, shedding excess pounds will help too. Good Luck.

fishin
    Blaine, MN

If you are concerned with a chiro wrenching you, go to Lexington Chiropractic in Lexington. He does not crank you but uses a tool called an activator. I have been going to him for years and he does a great job with no pain. He will help you solve the problem, not just a quick fix.

broncosguy
    Blaine, MN

thansk for the responses. have done the MAPS pain clinic, cotarized the nerves and still no releif, or partial relief. hard part for me is maps is a “pain med free” type of healing and after a 5th visit they perscribed some meds. just saying tough to take that…but understand the options out there and advice. going to start with teh oinversion chair/table and go from there. as the Zero gravity setting on the bed for sleeping seems to work really well. , guess it is jsut trial and error as all backs and hips are different. and yes there is a inflammed bursa on the hip also.

sandmannd

I’ve had back pain and was a couple weeks away from having a disk replaced in my neck. My advice, get a really good Chiropractor. Not all are good at what they do. Mine took me from the neurosurgeon saying it’s for sure surgery to not having any pain for the last three years. I go to Vital Care Injury in St. Paul and use Dr. Lavali. It’s pretty dang painful to start but he goes slow and takes his time. Withing a few weeks I was on my way to recover and feel great now. He also does acupuncture and that works wonders!!

jrrendler
    Mantorville, MN

Mayo Clinic

I have had 2 lower back surgeries. First one was when I was 21 and the second about 10 years later. Things have been pretty good for the last 17 years so I can’t complain. I hope your pain gets better. I know it can be a real mental battle dealing with that every day.

broncosguy
    Blaine, MN

was thinking mayo. not a candidate for the surgeries yet sadly. but am trying to look into other things. the therapy worked great for a week or 2 then nothing. just seemed like more pain then anything. and chiro doe snot seem to help much as not “mis aligned” as my chiro is a message therapy cracker…..played ball with him and has 2 shops.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Quote:

Hey Jeff. Just got back from the VA Clinic in Hibbing due to back pain (loading wood). The doctor asked if I had any cyan (sp) pepper at home. Said to mix about 1/2 teaspoon with olive oil to make a paste and spread it over the sore part of my back. Does something to sooth the nerves. Never heard of such a thing but she seems to know her stuff. If that does not work try McMasters.

Arnie, I have a cousin with arthritis in his knees and he rubs olive oil on them and swears by it! He’s pretty eccentric but a very bright guy.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I’ve noticed one theme in my relatives and friends who’ve had serious back issues: The ones who have the most success in treating it were the ones who were willing to start trying stuff and keep trying stuff until they find what works.

Case in point, my uncle was willing to try anything/everything EXCEPT acupuncture. Tried chiro, tried physio, tried cortozone shots, etc, etc. Finally, mainly to satisfy his wife, he tried a series of acupuncture treatments. As an aside, according to him, it didn’t hurt or feel like being punctured at all. Anyway, he was so convinced that it wasn’t going to work, that it took him almost 3 months of denying that it worked before he was able to finally admit to himself that it made a huge difference.

So not advocating just that route, just saying that it seems to me that very different things seem to work for different people. Unfortunately, all you can do is keep an open mind and try things. A guy that works with me went the physio route and basically got pummeled and whipped into shape 2x per week. Didn’t sound like a whole lot of fun, but it was obvious after a couple of weeks that the pain was producing gain and 3 months later he had vastly improved. He had to switch up his diet big time and he still grumbles about that, but he’s now afraid to change anything and risk the pain coming back.

Keep trying things and you’ll get it figured out.

Grouse

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.