Ideally, you will have 2 different setups for spring and for fall. The idea in a canoe trip is to not have a large amount of tackle, so here are some essentials I bring on every trip.
*Spring: Fish will be shallow through June.
1)Original Floating Rap Size F9-F11 for walleye/bass/pike or F13 to target big bass and larger pike, color should be firetiger, florescent red or bleeding copper for stained lakes and bleeding pearl for clear water. Troll at a 1 person paddling speed in less than 10 fow for most lakes.
2) 3″ black shad Gulp minnow on a jig 1/8-1/4 oz jig–jig colors to have: Pink, orange, green, gold, white, or combinations of these.
3) Northland’s Classic Reed runner 3/8 oz white or pumpkinseed
4) B Fish n Tackle’s “Pulse-R Paddle Tail” Size 3.25″ in colors Chart Orange,Chart Green,and/or Great White, with B Fish n Tackle’s H20 Precision Jigs 3/8 Oz in colors Pearl White, Green Tiger, Orange Tiger
5) #6 Gamakatsu hooks with steel 1/8 oz split shot for any live bait.
6) Some #6 Gamakatsu hooks with split shot for live bait
7) My secret bait, pm me and we can trade secrets for this one.