Lake Alexander help

• roger_k
    St. Cloud, MN

Hey guys, I got a hall pass for this Saturday and plan on spending a good portion of the day fishing. I wanted to try a new lake and have always heard good things about Lake Alexander (near Motley). My targeted species would be walleye, and if they aren’t cooperating, plan to look for a few bass. Being new to this lake, and knowing it has a lot of structure, if anyone has any good insight or willing to point me in the right direction, the help is much appreciated!!!

bendvoracek
    Eden Prairie, MN

Roger,

I have never been on this lake, but took a quick look at the contours on my navionics map. Looks like there is good structure around Soldiers Island. Looks like there are a few saddles and points around it to try. Also around Haystack Isand there is a saddle to the east of the island that I think looks good.

Hope this helps you out!

roger_k
    St. Cloud, MN

I agree Ben, those spots look like they have some potential. This is one of those lakes with lots of structure and can be intimiating when you first look at a contour map. Thanks for the input!

dbright
    Cambridge

All most all of the lakes have extremely clear water. I’ve had little to no luck during the day on eyes.

tswoboda

I’ve spent a lot of time on Alex since I grew up living close to it; most time spent was fishing for muskies or crappies but also spent time fishing walleyes (spring or late fall) and some bass (spring).

One big word here is MILFOIL!! Entire east end of the lake had a milfoil ring and it’s very present in the west side as well but there are still some nice cabbage areas.

Walleyes: Anderson point is usually crowded with walleye fishermen in the evenings. I like the rock bar extension to the west off of Weyerhauser Pt and also the inside turn between there and Ogema Pt.

Bass: My favorite way to target bass is skipping docks so that is what I’ve done on alex and it works for both green and brown bass. Just find docks that are inside the milfoil line, I’ve started from the east access and just went north and west from there, can also hit the inside milfoil line as you move between docks as well. There’s a lot of big reed beds on the north and south ends of the east half of the lake, bass will use these with the right conditions. If you like fishing the slop go to the west and SW of Crow Island. AWESOME shallow water part of the lake there that never gets touched.
    There’s two rock humps between Haystack and Anderson that top out around 15′ which are worth checking for smallies. But if you hate rock bass as much as I do then I don’t recommend fishing going anywhere near those!

Good luck, it’s a clear lake. Can be fun for bass and I would concentrate on those and forget about eyes until sunset. Don’t get so caught up in all the map structure, more importantly focus on the weeds you are fishing, fish like good weeds there.

roger_k
    St. Cloud, MN

Thanks tswoboda!!!

You practically put the fish in the boat for me already, now I just need a good net man. I’ll definatley use the information given and see what turns up. Hope to return with a good report

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Lake Alexander

Come this time of year I would think that the walleyes will either be suspended over deep water eating the Cisco’s or tucked tight into the cabbage or reeds. If you have any wind into a established cabbage or reed bed, I personally would be casting either a number 7 yellow perch shad rap or a #5 blue rattle trap. Either of these baits should keep you busy with bass, pike, walleyes, rock bass. If the wind is down, I would consider trolling deep and finding fish suspended. According to DNR lake finder they have been stocking cisco’s to accomadate feed for pike/ski’s, but I would imagine the walleyes will be eating those as well. If you have planer boards (clear water/no wind) and some Rapala Tail Dancer #11’s I think you would hook up with some fish.

I would start casting and work over deep water later in the day.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.