Pile of wood for the winter.

• Jeff Bennett
    Lake Puckaway Wi.

Spent the last 4 days cutting wood for the winter , now back to fishing.

bigpike

Who’s gonna split it?

eyehuntr14
    SE WI

Nice Work…great chore/job to have out of the way before fishing starts getting really good!!! I guess there is some splittin’ to do….

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

You and Moreyes both have big piles this morning.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Nice! I need to work on my bro-in-laws to get a wood-cutting day going at our cabin. Our firewood stack is looking sad.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

That’s it? Looks like maybe 4-5 cord there.

Most of us burn 10-12 cord for the winter.

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

Quote:

No way is that 4-5-Cords.

Maybe what some call a Firewood Cord, but the Legal Definition of a Cord is 4ft x 4ft x 8ft!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

He’s got two beavers Carroll.

brian_j

Quote:

Maybe what some call a Firewood Cord, but the Legal Definition of a Cord is 4ft x 4ft x 8ft!

No kidding, wood sellers in the twin cities here have done an excellent job of convincing buyers a fireplace cord is a cord. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had to explain to people the difference, then after I explain it I get this response “no, it’s a cord”

I swear whoever came up with the term “fireplace cord” and “rick cord” and “face cord” and “stove cord” did it just to confuse people. Why not call it 1/3 of a cord?

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

Quote:

Quote:

No kidding, wood sellers in the twin cities here have done an excellent job of convincing buyers a fireplace cord is a cord. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had to explain to people the difference, then after I explain it I get this response “no, it’s a cord”

I swear whoever came up with the term “fireplace cord” and “rick cord” and “face cord” and “stove cord” did it just to confuse people. Why not call it 1/3 of a cord?

X2

Photo link: FULL CORD of FIREWOOD

What is a cord?
    A cord has a specific legal definition in Minnesota:
    • One cord is 128 cubic feet in four foot lengths.
    • If the wood is sawed, a cord is 110 cubic feet when
    ranked, or 160 cubic feet when thrown loosely into a
    truck.
    • If the wood is sawed and split, a cord is 120 cubic feet
    when ranked, and 175 cubic feet when thrown loosely
    into a truck.
    (Minnesota Statutes, Section 239.33)

Buying Firewood, MN Dept of Commerce link

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

More Legalities on Firewood: Harvesting, Purchasing & Moving.

Firewood in MN & Pests, etc. link

Stay on the right side of the law with your firewood:

Make sure that firewood you buy or sell in Minnesota is labeled with origin of harvest (MN Stat. 2010, Chapter 239, Weights and Measures)
    Sale by Package: “… As of August 1, 2012, all firewood sold or distributed within the state must include information regarding the harvest locations of the wood by county and state on each label or wrapper.” More…
    Sale from Bulk: “… As of August 1, 2012, all firewood sold or distributed within the state must include delivery ticket information regarding the harvest locations of the wood by county and state.” More…
    Any firewood with origin of harvest from a quarantined area must have a federal shield documenting that the wood has been treated to destroy the quarantined pest.
    How to buy firewood – Minnesota Department of Commerce
    6 questions to answer before buying firewood – University of Minnesota Forest Resources Extension

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Dad and I used to laugh about all of these “short cord” terms and, of course, by what people were charging for these mini-cords, especially down here in the Cities.

Dad figured he saved a few thousand a year by burning 4 cords of wood and I said hell, if you think of it in terms of how many fireplace cords you burn, you save twice that much. Let’s go buy some new sporting toys with all that money!

It’s all in how you look at it.

Grouse

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Yep, that is a real cord! Also love the other trick city wood dealer use. Cris-cross the stack to make a 1/3 cord measure out to a full cord. Told the guy who tried to pull that one on me to stack it tight or put it back on the truck. Got that load for half price….grrrr.

-J.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

Quote:

No way is that 4-5-Cords.

Correct. 4x4x8

I see the frame of reference now. Unless I am looking at it wrong it looks like 1-2 cord to me. That isn’t enough for a month.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

That isn’t enough for a month.

He never said that it was his primary source of heat. Or maybe it’s just for a cabin. Jeez. Feeling more critical than usual today?

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Ask em if its a ricked in cord. If they don’t know what a ricked in cord is tell them you don’t want the wood. A ricked in cord is a full true firewood cord. Its layed so everything is close and it has minimal spacing between the other pieces, not crossed ricked. The picture looks like about two cords after its split and stacked, maybe pushing 3 cords, good looking wood anyway.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.