Bleeding/Cleaning Fish for the Table – Ike Jime

• Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

In response to another post about bleeding and cleaning fish for table fare, I just watched something very interesting last night which gives quite a bit of scientific and historical creedence to the technique.

“Mind of a Chef,” is a great cooking show which follows Chef David Chang around the world, looking at really obscure cooking techniques and principles used in the globes greatest kitchens. The episode from last night included information on a Japanese fish-killing technique called “Ike Jime.” Japan is home to some of the greatest fish markets in the world, and its sushi and sashimi-grading processes have Ike Jime playing a vital role.

They demonstrated the technique, where they:

-Brain-killed the fish via a spike to kill quickly and relax
    -Severed the spinal cord via the underside of the gills (similar to bleeding a walleye)
    -Cut the tail portion of the fish almost completely off and insert a long, thin wire up the spinal cord to kill all nerve endings still sending messages (twitches)
    -Put the fish in an ice water slurry to bleed out

Food science experts have proven in the tasting and physical labs that this:
    -Removes blood more effectively from a fillet – with blood being a nutrient rich source of food for bacterial growth
    -More humanely kills the fish
    -Kills the nervous system quickly, delaying the onset and amount of rigor mortis
    -Leads to firmer, better textured fish which also tastes better

It’s one of the reasons that the same fish caught in many oceans around the world never make sushi-grade. Most of the fish markets over there keep the fish alive and swimming, where Ike Jime is practiced just before presenting to sell. When cooked same-day, it apparently leads to the optimal timing for the best tasting fish.

Super interesting, and though I’m guessing I won’t be sticking a wire up a fishes spinal cord anytime soon, it gives alot of weight to the bleeding/icing regiment that lots of folks here weighed-in on.

Joel

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Interesting for sure… thanks for posting. I still bleed walleye when keeping… and the visual difference alone is amazing in how much more white the meat is. This said, agree… I won’t be cutting the tail. Cool to know if it bleeds out better when the head stab is done to kill quickly.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

The bleeded out catfish my daughter and myself had last night was waaaay better than the non bleeded one. Didn’t see too much of a difference in the fillets that I see with walleyes, but man they were good.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Thanks a ton for posting that. I’ve only recently started bleeding my fish. Man what a difference. I wasn’t even sure that I’m doing it right. Now I know what to do.

doubleshot
    Brooklyn Park, MN

In response to the original post from a while back that you referenced…I tried this last time out.

I must say, it worked perfect! As advertised
    Wish I’d been doing it all along

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

It would be cool to do a taste test with differently prepared walleye fillets using same exact breading and cooking method.

p4walleye
    Rochester, MN

Nice post! Very cool! I will now definately spear the brain before bleeding. Before each bleed I always thank the big guy upstairs and ask that they have a painless death. The spike will be good. After noticing the difference with bleeding a couple years I have taken another step and noticed an even better taste. After the fish is dead- I make a quick slice and rip out the guts before icing. Unbelievable. Yummy.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Quote:

It would be cool to do a taste test with differently prepared walleye fillets using same exact breading and cooking method.

These guys did, and there’s a handful of other studies done like this also. Sounds like it’s the real deal.

Ike Jime Test

moxie
    Sioux City,IA

That’s braining a fish, you can’t do this with cats, believe me I’ve tried.

Ben Brettingen
    Mississippi

Good Stuff Joel! I wonder when we will start seeing piano wire in cleaning shacks! ha

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.