Our garden is going wild here…..

• iowa roger
    North central Iowa

Howdy all,

We have a small garden, but boy is it every yeilding veggies for being a late year. We have big watering bill too.

The sugar peas are about gone, snap beans are abandant, beets are on, as are the zuchinnis, cukes too.
    We have been giving this stuff away to friend.
    One thing lot on yet are tomats, lots of big ‘uns,but no ripes yet, darn.
    This produce has to be enjoyed as all too soon it will be gone.
    We have a small patch of red raspeberries that only bear in the fall, too many for us, but none go to waste for sure.
    Ahh yes, it is a great time of year to enjoy.

Did a little bass fishing yesterday, got a couple of decent ones on a Hornet, turned em loose.

We hope all are enjoying life and their flower and vegetable garden. Our flowers are another story, they are doing good too, job to keep them watered.

Thanks for reading,

Iowa Roger transplant from the hills of Council Bluffs to flat lands of Britt.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I got my tomato plants in late due to work and other things going on. They aren’t much for height but they sensed the shortening daylight and almost immediately set flowers. We eat alot of tomato foods and I set 103 tomato plants to make juice, stewed and other types so I should have enough. Their the old heirloom types that have a little more spark having more acid in them, the kind that make your cheeks pucker when you eat them. The darned rabbits ate the tops off of about a dozen sweet peppers and they right away threw off shoots and they are growing good. My sweetcorn blew me away how fast it came up, they came through within 5 days after planting and watering. I’ve still got lima bush and regular bush green beans to plant but their a short time plant unlike tomatoes and I should get good amounts. My broccoli and cauliflower are just being started and their also a short time plant before harvest. The zucchini and squash are doing good too along with the melons. I hope I get a good harvest of brussel sprouts because they don’t make it far through the front door, those little cabbages are good boiled, fried and any way you can cook them. Our red raspberries are just starting to turn red. I’m having to go to the river to get water but its only a half mile from the garden, its a whole lot cheaper to do it this way then paying a huge water bill, its been hot and dry here for about 4 weeks, you got to do what you got to do. Our vacant side by side freezer is going to be full this fall and will last us until next year. With the shortening of daylight just a little each day, mine is really kicking it in gear and going to town.

big_g
    Isle, MN

We have been talking about planting a little vegetable garden for years…. I had one at the old place and we loved the fresh veggies. It tastes way better when you take it from seed to table

Sharon
    SE Metro

We have a pretty good size garden and every year we have tons of cucumbers! They seem to just grow really well in our garden. The tomato plant is ripening slower, but I’ve managed to eat three Romas already! We plant leaf lettuce and that’s growing well. We actually rip up and replant leaf lettuce several times through the summer. I don’t think all the seeds get a chance to germinate on the final planting because for the last two Springs, we’ve had a small row of leaf lettuce pop up in the Spring! Tastes great and I love getting to eat it so early in the year. Carrots are another one of my favorites to plant. They’re so easy to separate into containers and freeze. There’s nothing like eating garden carrots during the winter to remind you of the warmer months!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.