2001 Mercury Outboard 125 hp

• joe-bauman
    Rochester, MN

Hi guys, looking at buying a boat with 2001 Mercury OB, 125hp non tiller.
    Anyone have any expetience or pros vs cons with this motor?

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

I had a Nitro once that had the 125 Merc 2+2 motor. Only had the boat one year, didn’t like the motor much. I think it would have ran much, much better had I spent the money and given it a good tune up.

The 2+2 was designed to kill 2 cylinders when trolling. It certainly wasn’t a four stroke that’s for sure.

You will need to take yours out and test drive it before buying, that’s the only way to know what you are getting.

Jeff Matura
    Sumner, IA

I have owned a 2002 Merc 115 2+2 for 3 summers now and have no complaints. This is the same motor as a 125.

Starts good in summer or December, idles great, and has really good power. Only thing a person will notice is the two carbs and cylinders kicking in at 2700 rpm. Not a big deal to me and really not that noticeable. Also there is no extra electrical or mechanical components involved in the 2+2 system. Just no idles jets in two of the carbs, ingenious if you ask me.

bullcans
    Northfield MN

Great motor and better gas mileage than i ever expected

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Quote:

Great motor and better gas mileage than i ever expected

I’ve owned my 2003 125 elpto for 9 years now and can say that the gas mileage is probably the biggest complaint. The 2+2 feature is useless for trolling on my 1750 fish hawk. It trolls down to about 3.5. I use the trolling motor facing backwards to to slow the boat down and have to say that doing so is probably better than with a kicker.

It’s cold blooded as mercs usually are, but still starts in 0 degree weather without much issue.

Overall, I would not consider this motor next time. Looking at a Yam next time. Merc will still be second on my list though.

joemama
    North St Paul

i’ve owned this motor since it came out of the box i’ve never had a problem with the motor..does not troll down below 2 mph..i use drift socks

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Forgot to mention, it started on fire once, on my third trim unit and my third voltage regulator. The rest is typical maintinence.

jeff4054

bullet proof since they came out

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.