Rising water warning

• swollen-goat
    Nicolet County

We were out on the Minnesota River this weekend between New Ulm and Mankato and we saw the Sheriff boat flying up stream. They stopped to see if we had seen any kayaks, apparently there was a report of a capsized kayak up stream of us. Later I saw on the news that the guy capsized when he hit a branch in the water about 2 miles upstream of us. Last I’ve heard they still haven’t found the guy.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

With the St Croix going up and the Mississippi rising an expected 2 feet between now and the 1st, there will be a lot of wood in the water again.

If people follow the no wake on the Croix they should be ok, but that’s going to put more people on the Mississippi River this weekend. Talking pleasure boat here.

Put all of that with the late start of the boating season and there’s going to be accidents. I really hope I’m wrong, but this could be a deadly year.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

These guys were reported to be experienced kayakers. It just goes to show that even the best of us can be bested by the rivers. Wear your life jackets, especially in these conditions!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

That’s what the article said two had PFD’s on, the third that’s missing didn’t.

Mother Nature takes no prisoners.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

The Minnesota River at Mankato is now at 16.49′ and still rising, which while it is well below flood stage, is still almost 6 feet above the spring peak this year. That water is really moving for the end of June!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

You’ll be getting more! The Corp just opened up a dam in the up North on the MN River. Don’t recall the name.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.