Lead Core Line wreck the eyes on the rod

• walleyenordy
    Cottage Grove, MN

So does lead core wreck the rod eyes, reel, or whatever or is it fine to use?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Shouldn’t cause any issues at all with any rod with ceramic or RECOIL style guides.

walleyenordy
    Cottage Grove, MN

I know it as a saint Croix rod So I am hoping its ok.

BBKK
    IA

I once tried braided line on a cheap rod (fenwick eagle gt), ate the tip right up. Not sure about your specific lead core, but I surely wouldn’t use it on any cheap guided rod if the line has even the slightest rough feeling to it.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

I know it as a saint Croix rod So I am hoping its ok.

You shouldn’t have any issue with a St. Croix. The only rods I’ve ever used for leadcore are St. Croix rods…. no issues.

luv2rapala

It’s more likely that the eyelets will wreck your leadcore, leadcore is soft and does not hold up well to abrasion. I never (i mean never) run leadcore at the tip of any rod. Lost a couple of full cores salmon fishing before we figured it out. Maybe I am a little gun shy but I just tie shorter lengths if I want shallower running lines.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Quote:

It’s more likely that the eyelets will wreck your leadcore, leadcore is soft and does not hold up well to abrasion.

I understand and agree with this part of your answer. Especially if your rod does not have ceramic or recoil eyelets as James mentioned above.

Quote:

I never (i mean never) run leadcore at the tip of any rod. Lost a couple of full cores salmon fishing before we figured it out. Maybe I am a little gun shy but I just tie shorter lengths if I want shallower running lines.

This part has me baffled. I’ve used lead core for quite a few years now. Both for walleye & salmon fishing.

In salmon fishing, we do indeed run all the lead core off the reel and out the rod tip every time we deploy a rod with lead core.

But when trolling for walleye, in many instances, this is all but impossible. Especially when fishing inland lakes & rivers.

My guess is, you don’t use lead core for walleye fishing.

tucrs
    NW Metro

I have never seen any line cut through a quality ceramic guide.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.