Rain Gutters

• Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Need to get some gutters on my house. Anyone in the N metro do them or know of someone that does? Might have to run to fleet farm today and see what they offer.

Thanks

skulskitom

pm me if still looking for gutters.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Mike PM me
    I have a guy that charges 3.50 a foot seamless, that did my house and does a great job.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

We used Tonka Seamless Gutters a few years ago. We had several bids, and he was very reasonable. His crew was out and done the following day, and I am happy with them. Now, the guy that did the house next door…it looks like a 6 year old did them!

Walleye_JoAnn
    Carver County

We got ABC Seamless 10-years ago. Still look new like the day they were installed.

Only problem is with all the trees around. Not that we have many, but I would look at the Leaf Guard types.

Our neighbors have a ASH tree that holds it seeds well into the winter, usually into the spring. Even though its approx 100 ft away (West), they seeds end up in my gutter on the back side of my house. With some snow melt and more snow, they turn into a frozen dam.

Nice thing about ABC Seamless is they are 6 inches deep, basically cover the fascia boards. Really can’t tell I have them unless you focus on the downspouts.

I had ABC Seamless out of Hutchinson (ABC is or was setup with Territories).

Good Luck

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Looked at gutters at menards today. Doesnt look that hard to figure out. If I can plumb a house should be able to get gutters on it. Then again most of my plumbing gets covered up in the walls. Gutters dont.

They had white and a couple of off white gutters at the store today. What do I do to match the burgundy trim of the home?

ironheadr5
    Northeast, Iowa

I would never put on anything but seamless ..

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

What the deal with seamless? I understand it would be nice to have one long section across the front of the home. Then again if a joint starts to drip a little I dont see how that would be a problem. The ground is going to be wet from the rain already. Do the non seamless gutters fail to a point that they are a issue or do not look well?

Bassn Dan

Quote:

What the deal with seamless? I understand it would be nice to have one long section across the front of the home. Then again if a joint starts to drip a little I dont see how that would be a problem. The ground is going to be wet from the rain already. Do the non seamless gutters fail to a point that they are a issue or do not look well?

Aluminum gutters WILL leak. You can seal them, but the next spring they’ll leak again, and again, and again….

If you’re putting them over a grassy area and you don’t have problems with water getting in the basement they can be ok, but if they’re over a sidewalk they will drip and make ice on the walk in winter and also damage the cement.

crankyanker
    Twin Cities, Mn

I have done gutters for years. I’d go with $3.50/ft. That is an extremely good price. That is less. than what I pay for the material alone. If you plan to hang them yourself, all you really need to know is the pitch should be 1/4″ every 10ft.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Does it matter which way they pitch.

TimJones
    Lake Osakis,MN

Quote:

Does it matter which way they pitch.

Hopefully not like the Twins. Sorry couldn’t resist. We had ABC seamless put on our house almost ten years ago and am very happy with them so far. Had cutters with seams on the old house and they always leaked.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Quote:

Only problem is with all the trees around. Not that we have many, but I would look at the Leaf Guard types.

Anyone here have the Leaf Guard type? I have heard that they can still be a problem with clogging up and that much harder to clean out. I have huge pine trees next to the house and I have to clean out pine needles a minimum of two times a year.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

I seen foam that you put in the gutters at Menards. Guess its supposed to keep the leaves out. Not sure of how well it works.

For you guys that install gutters what do you use when the homes have colored fascia? Mine is Burgundy.

brucea
    Maplewood,MN

Quote:

Quote:

Anyone here have the Leaf Guard type? I have heard that they can still be a problem with clogging up and that much harder to clean out. I have huge pine trees next to the house and I have to clean out pine needles a minimum of two times a year.

I have a Leaf Guard type cover that was added to my gutters eight or nine years ago. They work great! You will also have to enlarge your down spouts. I have never had to clean my gutters since I added the covers.

brucea
    Maplewood,MN

Quote:

I seen foam that you put in the gutters at Menards. Guess its supposed to keep the leaves out. Not sure of how well it works.

For you guys that install gutters what do you use when the homes have colored fascia? Mine is Burgundy.

I have a friend that used the foam product. It was a complete waste of money!! The pores in the foam will fill up with dirt over time and the water will flow over the gutters. Last year he installed the Leaf Guard type covers like I have and they seem to be working well.

brucea
    Maplewood,MN

Quote:

My neighbors up the road have burgundy fascia. Leaf Guard installed new gutters that are the same burgundy color. I guess it can be done.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

So when you guys say charge by the foot is that just the horizontal do you take into account the down spouts to?

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

So when you guys say charge by the foot is that just the horizontal do you take into account the down spouts to?

When I was getting bids, it was $X per foot and $Y per downspout. It also varies on size. I chose to upsize to help handle more water and all the crap that falls from our maple trees.
    I passed on the “gutter guards” because of cost. It will double your price. On a long-term house, I would get them, but I don’t plan on staying put in this house too long, so I passed.

trophy19
    Maple Grove, MN

Read this thread as I need gutters this fall…. amazing how many horror stories I’ve heard from friends/neighbors re: lousy gutter installation.

Had a new garage door installed last summer… took 2 full doors to come up with 5 good panels to make an 8′ door.

Concrete poured for new garage floor…. had to rip out the entire floor as it scaled from front to back.

How is anybody making any money when there is so many issues/problems/rework.

MX1825

I would never put on anything but seamless ..

An old thread but I agree with this.

Wife insisted that I was TOO old to be climbing on the roof, so gutter guards were in order. I put Leaf Filter brand on because I thought it was the best product. Worked great while we were there but sold the house 5 years later.

CaptainMusky

Read this thread as I need gutters this fall…. amazing how many horror stories I’ve heard from friends/neighbors re: lousy gutter installation.

I highly recommend Bearcat for gutter installation. He does seamless gutters and the job is done well and quick. I had him install gutters on the back of my garage. For some dumb reason when I did the rest of the house I was too lazy to have that done and regretted it ever since. Hit him up and he will set you up if he isnt too far from you.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.