Found a giant pile of Shrooms, now what?

• crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

I was out in the Hastings area today walking through the woods hunting. Me and a buddy ended up getting into the morels pretty good and had a final count of close to 400 mushrooms. I LOVE to eat these tasty morsels, but with that being said, am not sure what I’m going to do with all these shrooms. Plan on giving a bunch away to friends/relatives/neighbors, but still might have extra. How long do they keep in the fridge? (I will get a photo up whenever my phone gets the picture emailed through to my acct.)

P.S. watch out for ticks if you go in the woods, they are thick out there right now. Even found a few deer ticks on me which makes me cringe.

BBKK
    IA

Can them. They will stay “fresh” for 1-2 years in a cool place.

smackemup
    North Metro

Or you can dehydrate them, very easy and very common thing to do with them.

TJ
    Hammond, WI

Start EATING!!!

tsamp
    eldora, iowa

bread them as normal, then freeze on a cookie sheet. Place in a freezer bag and wait until you are hungry for them again. Remove from the bag and drop into the skillet frozen. Do not thaw or they turn into mush.

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

email with pic finally came through! For some reason my phone always takes forever….

jiggin-rake
    inver grove heights, minnesota

Dang that is alot. Nice!

philput
    Knoxville, IL.

If those mushrooms are real fresh (no bugs or mold) don’t soak them in salt water or rinse them, simply put them in tupperware containers & put them in the crisper of your refrigerator, or a big ziplock be sure to get as much air out of the containers as you can! As long as you don’t get them wet they will stay very fresh & hardy! Just check on them every few days! Been doing this for years! Works Great!

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Thier still getting them here but on the downhill slide. Nice find! Like said above, put them on cookie sheet after you bread them and freeze them. Put in ziplocks, sucking out all the air then stack them in the freezer, good for atleast a year. Just take out what you want to eat and put in hot oil and fry them frozen, can’t get much better then that. Same thing as frying breaded frozen fillets. The trick is putting them on a cookie sheet after you bread them and freezing them, befor you package them. Nice find.

riverruns
    Inactive

When you say bread them, are you just rolling in floor? Do you shake off excess floor? Thanks.
    Shawn

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

River, I roll them in flour after I rinse them off,,,then roll them on the floor lol, naaa just roll them in whatever you like and freeze them on a cookie sheet, when frozen put the ones that don’t make it into the frying pan, in a bag and simply freese. The main ingredient is then you can eat them later.

BBKK
    IA

A good shroom breading is to flour them, egg wash, then roll in saltine cracker crumbs. Tastes great!

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Thats a good one Kevin and also instant potato flakes, try bluegill fillets that way, totally awsome.

whiskeysour
    4 miles from Pool 9

Why bread them? Just put them in a fry pan with butter and cook until dark brown or even slightly crispy. You can freeze them after cooking them this way too.

Fishing Machine
    Lansing, Ia

Quote:

A good shroom breading is to flour them, egg wash, then roll in saltine cracker crumbs. Tastes great!

add some onion and garlic powders and they are the best ever.

riverruns
    Inactive

OK. Thanks for the clarification Mossy. Roll them on the floor and then breed them. Shawn

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

Quote:

add some onion and garlic powders and they are the best ever.

yup.. and fried in real butter not oil

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Lol River, what can I say but thats the way its done.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.