Morechella!

• bosman
    DeSoto, WI

There she be boys & girls! First sighting of the 2013 season in Southwest Wisconsin (Grant County)!
    Now don’t go grab your stick and bag and run off into the woods. These little farts are no bigger than your average thumbnail. Going to take some help from ma-nature over the course of the next 7 to 10 days before they make a bite coming out of a frying pan. Next few days, with forcasted highs in the 30’s and 40’s will NOT help.

As for moisture content. Soil is in EXCELLENT shape right now. But these are morchella we are talking about. There is NEVER enough “water” unless you’re flat out under-water in the beginning of the season. This will change as the season is drawing to a conclusion in which rain will actually accelerate deteriation condition of an aged morel. A good shot of rain every 3 days is perfect with day time highs in the mid 60’s and overnight lows in the low 50’s.

Last but not least…….morels DO IN FACT grow over the course of time (weeks). Almost all morels in Southwest Wisconsin start off as little grays. (As a matter of fact, in the first few hours of life above ground they are as white as a ghost.) Some, pending genotypic variation coupled with available nutrients in localized areas will blossom into yellows. Others will reach maturity, gray in color at an inch tall.

Good luck & happy shrooming!

TJ
    Hammond, WI

Great news!!! I’m going to wait a bit considering ours are still sleeping under about 15″ of friggin’ snow.

rkd-jim
    Fountain City, WI.

I could maybe find a morel or two if they stood over 9 inches!!!!! That just to get through the snow….

Jake_A

I cannot WAIT for them to start popping here in Pierce County…time to make money!

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

JakeA:

Me either!!!

Mark

bianchi96
    Gateway to Whitewater

Great read.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I’m glad they are late. Nice change to focus on fishing the first couple weeks of season instead of trying to do both.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

yeah you might actually catch something now!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

yeah you might actually catch something now!

I’ll remember you said that while I’m eating fresh walleye on Sunday.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

walleye as in singular or plural?

bl00dwe1ser
    LaCrosse, WI

nice, finally. I put in about 14 miles of hiking this weekend checking out some spots. can’t wait to pick some shrooms.

salmo_trutta
    River Falls,WI

still a few days out, while this warmth may draw some sweat a few fingers in the dirt can still feel the cold residue left.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I dont feel it at all. Next week at the soonest around here. Soon to be going stealth mode……..

salmo_trutta
    River Falls,WI

Quote:

I dont feel it at all. Next week at the soonest around here. Soon to be going stealth mode……..

x2, itll be the time to become the morel whisperer

salmo_trutta
    River Falls,WI

I hope noone on here is planning on paying chris matherly $175/person for a morel ‘foray’ up near Rice Lake this weekend. In his own words he said he doesnt expect to find anything this weekend out foraging, which sounds like a huge waste of money to a gatherer to me. Hope the forewarning helps someone out.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.