So what is “Ice out?”

• splitshot
    Rosemount, MN

I just saw on the number 5 that Minnetonka’s official “ice out” was yesterday – but with the heli flyover report, I saw that there was still plenty of black ice out on the lake.
    Having grown-up in west central MN on a lake, “ice out” to lake people is when the ice is gone and you can safely install your dock, boat lift and other water devices without worry that the ice will rip them apart. On that lake (our lake), that is the lakeshore owners official definition. So, ….What is “ice out” to you?
    Apparently, it seems that the news media thinks that it’s when a portion of the lakes water is exposed/not hard.
    Sorry, not in my book.

roottwo

From the DNR website:

Definition of Lake Ice Out
    The definition of lake ice-out varies from lake to lake, and individual to individual. For some, ice-out occurs only when the lake is completely free of ice. For others, ice-out is defined as the moment when navigation is possible from point A to point B. And yet for others, ice-out is when 90 percent of the lake is ice free.
    Due to the variable definitions of this rather subjective observation, the participating agencies attempt to contact the same individuals each year to maintain a consistent record.

DNR Ice Out Website

TJ
    Hammond, WI

Channel 4 reports defined is as when a boat can “safely” travel from one end of a lake to the other. I’m in agreement with you, it isn’t ice out if you have to stay within 50ft of shore.

huskerdu

Sheriff’s Dept.? declares it out in MN? I don’t understand the standard! Maybe someone could, with knowledge could clarify?

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

Quote:

From the DNR website:

Definition of Lake Ice Out
    The definition of lake ice-out varies from lake to lake, and individual to individual. For some, ice-out occurs only when the lake is completely free of ice. For others, ice-out is defined as the moment when navigation is possible from point A to point B. And yet for others, ice-out is when 90 percent of the lake is ice free.
    Due to the variable definitions of this rather subjective observation, the participating agencies attempt to contact the same individuals each year to maintain a consistent record.

DNR Ice Out Website

X2 Yes, this is correct. Definition varies as to whom is taking readings.

Minnetonka generally is you can travel from Wayzata Bay to Excelsior Bay.

Fountain Lake in Albert Lea is when there is NO Ice remaining!

So for maintaining records, each lake stays with formula they’ve used since beginning to stay consistent.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Mille Lacs is ice out when you can run a boat from Isle to Garrison and not hit any ice.

-J.

desperado

The day AFTER you don’t see me OUT there ANYMORE

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I don’t see how any definition of “ICE OUT” could include some ice on the lake still. Maybe people should change their definition to Ice Almost Out.

desperado

if you can safely drive your boat THROUGH the ice that’s in the center of the lake, it really isn’t even ice anymore; it’s just slush

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.