Good Year Marathons

• jighead-two
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

I know this tire stuff has been brought up before but, tire pressure? I got some Good Year Marathons yesterday and asked the guy what tire pressure to run. He said 10# over max., so max. is 50# + 10# = 60# cold. Trailer tires only. This was not a discount store, but a Good Year store.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Over max? That sounds like a bad idea.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I have never heard of this. Max is max as far as I am concerned. My Marathons seems to be fine at 50.

jighead-two
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

Got my attention too. This was the owner of the store that’s been there a long time.

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

I just checked all my tires last night – run mine at 55#psi

out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

he probably wants you to blow one or two so you come back and buy some more…

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

I have always run mine at 50 as stated on the tire and trailer. Never a problem. I’d be nervous at 60.

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

I run at the max as well. never any issues. change every 3-4 years (4 years max).

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

Thought someone posted last time a link to a Goodyear technical bulletin or something that said that 50psi was fine at normal highway speed but at higher speeds ie 70mph you needed to over inflate to 60psi.

Dave Bonjour
    Menomonie Wisc

I’ve been driving 18 wheelers for 40 years, semi tires usually go up 10psi when hot, boat tires would have to do same if not more, look at your sidewalls recommended tire psi when cold, and you will be fine, my radial 15 inch tires I maintain at 50 psi.

Bassn Dan

Quote:

Quote:

Thought someone posted last time a link to a Goodyear technical bulletin or something that said that 50psi was fine at normal highway speed but at higher speeds ie 70mph you needed to over inflate to 60psi.

Here is the bulletin from Goodyear http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/goodyear/Marathon_Special_Trailer_Applications.pdf

HRG

Interesting. Thanks for posting.

For 65 and under I’ve never had a problem with keeping them at 50 psi.

Dan

BBKK
    IA

What I got from that link, drive under 65 and you are fine. Just because the speed limit is 70 does not mean you HAVE to pull a trailer at 80mph. Scares the living crap out of me when a guy with a rickety old trailer and boat comes flying past you at 80-85mph on the highway, boat bouncing a foot in the air on every bump.

big_g
    Isle, MN

According to Mythbusters, the faster the smoother on a bumpy road

t-ellis
    Colorado Springs, CO

Quote:

Quote:

Here is the bulletin from Goodyear http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/goodyear/Marathon_Special_Trailer_Applications.pdf

HRG

Bingo! I’ve been running mine at 60-65 psi since reading the bulletin with no problems.

jerry b
    western WI

Quote:

According to Mythbusters, the faster the smoother on a bumpy road

Not unlike the old VW Beetle- -had to drive’m hard to keep’m cool jerr

igotone

Good Year Marathons
    don’t matter what U do they will blow out way B 4 tread is even close to gone

MX1825

Quote:

Good Year Marathons
    don’t matter what U do they will blow out way B 4 tread is even close to gone

. Totally agree with this.

amundsonjon
    wi

Have had a few side wall bubbles that forced replacing tires. Would like to hear what if any brand is better than the goodyears? Like the tire and agree I have gotten three to four years on each set. Never blew one up but have had the side wall problems. Run at 50psi but tires always seem to squat a little more than i like. Also back seems to get chewed up faster just try to remember to rotate.Dual axle trailer 20ft deep v champion.

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

Q?

A: Ones a Goodyear and one’s a great year!!

Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

So, if not Goodyear, what are others using?

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Quote:

s

When I replaced my tires I went on the RV forums those guys run a bunch of weight and ton of miles Kumo seemed to be the best with Maxxis tires coming in second Marathons were way down the list.

jighead-two
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

Maybe I should have done my homework a little better. The trailer is a 2001 with original tires that still looked good (Titan ST) always stored inside, always kept at 50 # psi. I just figured I was really pushing my luck. The Good Year guy did say to change every three years.

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

Another little-known Goodyear option, for guys with 14″ rims, is the HMG2020 that they make only for U-Haul trailers, and sold thru U-Haul dealerships. It’s a ST205/75-14 load range D bias ply, weight rating of 2020#. They look like they could survive a nuclear blast,,,,,
    HRG

Paulski
    “Ever Wonder Why There Are No Democrats On Mount Rushmore ? "

Quote:

Maxxis for me …

igotone

Quote:

Quote:

Maxxis for me …

X-2

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.