Leech Lake Fillet Knives??

• rcn_brian
    Andover, MN

I have used Rapala fillet knives all my life and am thinking of upgrading. I can not find many reviews on these knives, but are they worth the exrta $80? I am all about sharpening knives, but do not want to have to re-sharpen in the middle of cleaning fish. Can anyone give me their personal experience with these knives or with another premium knife?

BullsNeyes
    Rochester, MN

I bought mine from Reeds about 7 years ago and really like it. I have not sharpened it yet, but I’m very careful with it. They used to sharpen them for free at some of the sporting shows, don’t know if they still do or not. Be careful as the blade is also sharp on the backside near the tip which I use to make the cut near the gill plate.

brentbullets

Best fillet knife out there and worth the money.

Use the top sharpened part of knife to cut through gill plates like stated and you should be good to go for awhile. I use mine all year without sharpening and stop by the shop each spring and they sharpen it for free. Usually clean a 100 or so fish a year.

BBKK
    IA

How are these knives with panfish? When the panfish/yellow/white bass really start going we (me) usually clean 100 a week. Fish goes quick in our family and I usually clean for friends also since I have a cleaning station set up and am quite good at it. Would it hold an edge for say 1000 fish or so, so I would only have to have it sharpened once a year?

rcn_brian
    Andover, MN

I watched the video from Dan Canney on how to use the knife. After reading the 1st two opinions, I ordered the green/black knife. I will leave a review after I clean the fish from my fishing trip in May. I am excited to use a knife of this quality – I hope!

muskeye
    Duluth, Mn

I’ve had one for a few years. Whenever I’m near a power source, I still grab my Mr. Twister first. But comparing it to the cheaper knives, it is much nicer to use. No need to sharpen multiple times while cleaning, as long as you use the knife how it’s intended.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I think anyone that has owned one has cut themselves by forgetting it sharp on the top too.

I don’t own one and I have.

Rivergills
    Wisconsin

Used to use rapala knifes for 35 years until I purchased a Leech Lake wish I would have had one years ago. They are excellent for panfish. I use the 7 1/2″ blade not the 9″ one. Cleaned between 700-800 gills,crappie and perch with it and it is still as sharp now as it was on the first fish. I have a couple extra of new never used 7 1/2″ blade leech lake knifes that I will sell if anyones interested you can PM me.

kdfleener
    Lakeville, MN

If I may add. Custom Cutlery out of Marengo, IA is the blank and handle maker for these knives. They blacksmith the blade and tang, color the handle assemble and send to Canney. Don Canney just signs his name on them and adds that little top blade then goes and sells them for a premium. I personally own three knives from the guys down at Custom Cutlery and have never been happier. There customer service is awesome and they will sharpen them for free for the life of the knife, which realistically is only about once a year. You’ll have to check out the website link, but the last I checked they were only $62-$65 versus paying the ridiculous amount of $99 for Don Canney to plaster his name on a knife he didn’t even make. You can order any just about any size and color if you talk to them over the phone. Don’t waste your money paying for the Canney name, not worth it in my opinion.

http://www.customcutlery.com/

brentbullets

Quote:

If I may add. Custom Cutlery out of Marengo, IA is the blank and handle maker for these knives. They blacksmith the blade and tang, color the handle assemble and send to Canney. Don Canney just signs his name on them and adds that little top blade then goes and sells them for a premium. I personally own three knives from the guys down at Custom Cutlery and have never been happier. There customer service is awesome and they will sharpen them for free for the life of the knife, which realistically is only about once a year. You’ll have to check out the website link, but the last I checked they were only $62-$65 versus paying the ridiculous amount of $99 for Don Canney to plaster his name on a knife he didn’t even make. You can order any just about any size and color if you talk to them over the phone. Don’t waste your money paying for the Canney name, not worth it in my opinion.

http://www.customcutlery.com/

Actually Custom Cutlery does all the machining on the knives and yes they have great customer service as I too take my knife to them to be sharpened every spring.

The top portion of the blade is sharpened and intended to use to cut through the gill plates as stated thus preserving the edge on the bottom side of blade.

Custom Cutlery does make some fantastic fillet knives also but the Leech Lake is unique and in a class by itself because of its design.

Mr. Canney passed away about a year ago.

jake-bohnsack
    Wright County Area

I have owned one along with my dad and 2 brothers for the last five years or more. I love the knife, its flexible and I have not used any other knife since using the leech lake knife. They do not sharpen them at the shows anymore due to some medical issues within the family. I also have not cut myself with it, its a great tool and well worth the investment.

Good luck fishin’

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

I also have not cut myself with it

Yet.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

thanks for the tip on the site where they are built, looks like the wife and I may be visiting the Amana colonies soon.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

My brother has one I think and he loves it.

Me, I use the fail proof electric, otherwise it takes me 10 minutes a fish. LOL

big_g
    Isle, MN

For those of you who have tried both, does the top edge being sharpened that 2″, justify the $30 more for the Leech ?

stuart
    Mn.

Why do you cut through the gill plates?
    I do use the top two inches of the back side for cutting out the cheek meat from walleye.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

while looking at the web site, both of the knives (Leech Lake & Custom Cutlery)looked to be sharpened. The first cut is behind the gill plates whacko. I have been eyeing one of these for several years, the wife just approved a trip to Amana Colonies it’s a really cool place to visit, and now pick up a few knives!

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

It is a very nice knife. As for the cost for functionality it is not worth the cost.
    Sorry but the knife I have does not stay sharp as long as some claim. Ive had mine for 3 years maybe the formula for the steel was changed. Still is better than the rappula.
    I still would buy one again if I lost mine. Maybe. As since Mr. Canny past on been hearing negative reports on service.

brentbullets

Quote:

while looking at the web site, both of the knives (Leech Lake & Custom Cutlery)looked to be sharpened. The first cut is behind the gill plates whacko. I have been eyeing one of these for several years, the wife just approved a trip to Amana Colonies it’s a really cool place to visit, and now pick up a few knives!

The Custom Cutlery knife is not sharpened on the top. that is a Leech Lake exclusive and I don’t beleive that you can buy a Leech Lake knife at their store.

I have been to the Custom Cutlery shop a couple of times and have visited with them at length while they sharpened my knife and one time I wanted to buy a knife for my son and they couldn’t sell me one. I buy them at Scheels.

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

A quick call to them ( http://www.customcutlery.com/) and they are not using the foundry any more and I was advised coming down to watch them being made may or may not work depending on how busy they were.

Also where to go to look or buy one of these knifes is now at Meringo (sp?) which is about 16 miles west of the old shop.

fwiw

Al…who’s really bored at work..:)

fireline
    Rochester

Quote:

Best fillet knife out there and worth the money.

Use the top sharpened part of knife to cut through gill plates like stated and you should be good to go for awhile. I use mine all year without sharpening and stop by the shop each spring and they sharpen it for free. Usually clean a 100 or so fish a year.

Where is this shop you are talking about ?

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Quote:

For those of you who have tried both, does the top edge being sharpened that 2″, justify the $30 more for the Leech ?

YES!!!!!!!!!!! best knife out there!!!!!!!!!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.