Running Multiple Boards…

• fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

Last year I had great success running planner boards over the basin of Mille Lacs going Brad Juaire style. I was running two boards with hard line and two lead core lines off of the sides. What I began to notice was that on days with calm seas, the lead core rods were all but quiet. The boards caught fish 3 or 4 to 1 on these days.

With the new season around the corner, I have been thinking about running multiple boards (2 starboard, 2 port) on the calm days. What I haven’t figured out is how to manage or bring in a fish caught on the outside board without interfering and tangling the inside board. Will the fish caught on the outside board naturally start rising toward the surface and come in over the inside board?

How do the seasoned pros do this?

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Oh man, out on Erie we had some days we had great success. Some days were a total cluster. We ran 3 boards out each side.

I’m looking forward to hear what the pros do to prevent large pile ups.

Gary Sanders
    Lake Wisconsin

some folks bring in the inside line to clear it, especially if it is a big fish on – otherwise you can drop the outside line back far enough to swing the board over and bring the fish right up the chute behind the boat.

hanson

For the most part, your best bet is to just crank the inside board in and drag it off the back of the boat. If you have a free rod holder in the back, opposite side of the boat, stick the rod in there once the board is behind the boat.

Bigger fish will often pull the board back and you can swing them around the back of the inside board without cranking the inside board in.

If in doubt, crank it in.

With cranks… you can also reset the outside board by sending it out behind the motor. Freespool the board back until you have enough room for it to make the swing around the back of the inside board.

kooty
    Keymaster

How do you like to setup your spread? Deep lures out the furthest? I can never remember the “proper” way.

t-ellis
    Colorado Springs, CO

Quote:

How do you like to setup your spread? Deep lures out the furthest? I can never remember the “proper” way.

Shallowest running should be the farthest board to the outside so it can be dropped back past the deep boards and brought up the “alley” behind the boat. What’s really interesting is getting 5-6 boards going off with two guys its a true fire drill.

kooty
    Keymaster

I need to get out on one of those Michigan Charters that run lots of lines. Would be cool to see how they do it.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

I routinely run 3 boards on each side. On Winnebago, I’ve run 5 on one side and 4 on the other. I use the same tactic regardless of the number of boards I’m running. One thing to note, for this to work, YOU MUST HAVE THE CLICKER TURNED ON. When a fish hits any board other than the inside board, flip the reels to free spool on all lines inside of the one with the fish. The clicker will keep them from going to rats nest status. As the inner boards start to drop back, reel the one with the fish in. It will start to slide in toward the boat, but your other boards should be further back and you will slide in front of those boards. On a small fish, it will just track straight up the path it was tracking. Once the free spooling boards are far enough back to clear the fish, take them out of free spool.

There is some jockeying of rods that needs to be done as this goes along, but you get very good at it very fast when running big spreads. In a perfect world, your timing gets good enough that you are taking the reels out of free spool at the right time to allow them to just become the next board out in the spread. In an imperfect world, you catch a big pike that goes sideways and gives you a gift that keeps on giving. A mess of tangles that takes a while to dismantle.

When running two boards a side, it is a piece of cake. Free spool the inner board as long as you want and close it when clear. That rod is now your outside rod. Net your fish in front of that rod, then move the rod forward one holder and deploy the rod you just took the fish off as your inside rod.

On a really big fish on the outside board, this tactic doesn’t always work, depending on how fast it takes your board back. In that situation, it will pull the board far enough back to just slide in behind the other board. If you have someone else in the boat, reeling up the inner board a bit is a good idea to keep the fish from catching the inner line as it slides over.

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Quote:

Oh man, out on Erie we had some days we had great success. Some days were a total cluster. We ran 3 boards out each side.

I’m looking forward to hear what the pros do to prevent large pile ups.

Trolling a mix of cranks and spoons on Erie we used a board on the crank that ran the widest. The nest two lines were run on Dipsey divers set a different running angles. Then the last line was a long line run straight out the back of the boat. We never could find an effective way to add a ninth line to our set up when we had enough guys in the boat.

FDR

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Your best bet is to bring in or “clear” any rods that are inside of the line with a fish on.

If you are going to attempt to play a fish over a line there are a few rules you will want to follow to increase odd of not tangling.

Lines 1,13 need to be the shallowest running and furthest back.
    Lines 2,12 are slightly deeper than 1,13 and are not running as far back as 1,13.
    Basically lines furthest to the side of the boat are your shallowest lines and also are the furthest lures behind the boat.

So for your 4 rod set with 2 LC and 2 braid IF you are not going to pull any lines with an outside fish on.
    5 and 9 are LC tight to the bottom.
    1 and 13 are your Braid fishing 5 feet + off bottom.

One tip.
    If running 4 lines on boards.
    make sure to have your rearmost rod holder empty.
    When you get a fish on the outside board you will Reel the inside line in, remove the board and slip that rod into the last open rod holder on the other side of the boat. You should not need to reel the lure all the way in.

Feel free to drop me a line and we can make a trip this summer Francis.

KJK
    Cottage Grove

Great post. I’d be interested in hearing how the pros rig up their boards, preferred manufacturer, release types, run the tattle tale, etc.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.