What do you pay for Cable?

• Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

The wife usually takes care of this bill for our house so I was a little surprised to see we are at $250 a month. That is for cable, 2 phone lines and internet. Pretty much basic cable. No extra channels. Seems crazy hi to me. What are some other options out there?

This is with ixfinity (comcast).

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

$122 for expanded basic with digital and 15meg internet if you can get that speed on a given day. From Charter “the customer is always wrong” Cable in Rochester.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

That number is high but not crazy. We paid $85 for cable/internet from Charter and $167 for cell phones from Verizon.

That was until we ditched cable. There isn’t anything on TV anyway. Free TV (news), NetFlix, Streaming shows on websites, etc are more than enough TV a person needs.

igotone

150 and I thought that was plenty

10 meg download Internet .5 meg up , phone line, cable with basic HD

phoyem
    Minneapolis

I’m strongly thinking of ditching cable. One of my buddy’s just did and is paying $8/month for netflix and $8/month for Hulu+ and is getting pretty much all he wants. Obviously getting the regular channels (NBC, etc) as well.

$55 month for me for just your basic dish network with DVR. Seems to be going up every year.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Other than IDO, is there anything on TV that’s worth paying for?

Never ever had cable, never ever will.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I believe around $200 for the same set up. My GF does the bills too.

Not sure why we still have the landlines. We got snookered into the triple play. She uses the landlines sometimes, I do it rarely. Usually just to order food.

Otherwise 90% of our calls are from charities looking for donations.

Well that and the one late night call I got when the girlfriend was at a friends where the caller was claiming my girlfriend was her mother.

I got into a huge fight when the grandma or whoever called back. I was nice to the kid who had the right name, wrong person. But this lady was a complete loser. I am surprised she stayed on as long as she did while I called her every filthy name in the book.

She never showed up the next day with the kid and the cops like she promised.

Seriously, who calls at like 1-2am about something like that.

Oh, I am sorry. What were we talking about?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

$99. + tax for

The slowest net service Comcast has (I can’t tell the difference from when I had their fastest)

Phone (no voice mail) just standard features like call forwarding, waiting, rejection ect.

Whatever the next upgrade over BASIC is.

3 extra converter boxes (I think 2 are free).
    with remotes.

I want to get rid of the land line, but the FW wants to keep it. We get the $10. off for having all three, but that phone line still runs $15. a month after the discount + taxes. $180.00 per year. That’s a lot of Sudden Impact Stink Bait!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

The slowest net service Comcast has (I can’t tell the difference from when I had their fastest)

The real bottleneck is your Commodore 64 you use.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

We are at $150, give or take a few bucks. I was quoted $130ish, but they somehow won’t honor that verbal quote… Anyway. We get every channel Charter has to offer and 30Mb download speeds. We have 3 DVRs and rent the cable modem. That equates to about $25.00 a month of the bill. They don’t offer phone in our area yet so we do the Magic Jack for home phone.

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

I will once every year, or more, call and renegotiate my bill…. last time took $45 off a $165 mo bill. Any time they have a rate change… or increase I do this. Never lock into a contract, but always check their new customer offers on line before hand. They always give new customers a better deal, and I typically end up there.

Time Warner… SE WI. Mid level internet (slowest wouldn’t work), land line, expanded digital cable with DVR service. Now paying like $120 with taxes and all.

brucea
    Maplewood,MN

Comcast Digital starter + 2 digital to analog boxes+tax= $87.00
    Century Link phone and internet $82.00
    free long distance
    caller ID
    12M internet

TOTAL $169.00

baitshopguy13
    Lakeland,MN

I Have direct TV, I will put that up against Comcast any day it is cheaper. They offer many more channels in HD and in general. Plus Free whole home DVR and 3 months free all movie channels and Sunday NFL ticket when u sign up i pay $100 a month and love it

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

$210 for phone, high speed internet, 3 HD cable boxes (one DVR) and Starz and Encore-also at Comcast.

$250 seems a little high for similar service.

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

Too, make that WAY TOO MUCH!

Dropping Comcast and going to ROKU and Netflix and Internet.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

The real bottleneck is your Commodore 64 you use.

The graphics card rocks!!

Palerider77

I don’t. The absence of a cable bill and no more smoking, more than covers the payment on my boat.

We do have frontier Internet at 39.95 a month and a Netflix subscription. I would not intentionally feed poison to my children, and that is what comes through that cable.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I pay $150 month for Comcrap Triple play, I’m in the 2nd year of my 2 year contract and they secretly raised the price $20 a month the second year, I complained and got it lowered to $10 more..Once my contract is up, I will be dropping cable TV for good, the cable company is the devil!

Like others have said, I’ll keep Internet and use Hulu, Netflix. Redbox and the MLB, Center Ice and Sunday Ticket to get my sports streamed to my house..

18fisher
    Hastings,MN

I just cancelled our internet through Comcast. We are now on smart phones only and the cheapest cable they have ($12/mo). Why pay for 2 internet services? I won’t ever go back to paying over $100/mo for basic cable and internet.

Jason Sullivan
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Lots of ways to save money these days.

No cable, but we have NetFlix for $8/month
    Landline – $20/year with MagicJack
    Cell Phone – $30/month with PagePlus (Verizon Network)
    Internet – $60/month – this is my expense that is too high

The cable companies are in trouble with TV content being streamed over the internet.

mudneck_joe
    SE MN

I don’t watch TV because it is all garbage. Every once in a while I wish I could watch a football game or baseball game at home, But not having TV is much nicer.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

That seems high to me, but this is the problem with “bundles”. You can’t really sort out what each part is costing you because if you remove one part of the bundle, the price on all the rest goes up.

There’s a couple of things I think a lot of people don’t know about:

1. Do you really need internet at all?

Many smartphone plans will let you “teather” the phone to a laptop with a USB cable and then the phone becomes your internet connection. Some phones become a mobile wireless link so you can do the same thing without the cable. If you have 4G network service this may be enough for many casual internet users. Obviously if you need ultra-high speed, it’s not going to work as well. Also, you have to have a data plan that is in line with your browsing habbits. We have Sprint’s unliminted plan, so no issues there.

2. Others have mentioned Netflix, Roku, etc. The key is knowing what you watch on cable and then finding out where else you can get it for much less.

Sports are the killer here. There are very few options for live sports other than cable. TV shows you can get almost anywhere.

3. A call will amost ALWAYS reduce your bill. Call them and tell the cable company you’re thinking about switching because you’re paying too much. Almost certainly they will magically find a way to reduce your current spend.

Grouse

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Got rid of cable twelve years ago, kids were watching too much TV. They started doing more outdoors stuff. No landlines, just cell phones and we’ve had Netflix for a couple years. I do miss seeing some sporting events but its not the end of the world. $250 per mo will put a pretty nice boat in the garage. Cable was screwing me once a month and never even sent flowers!

pdl
    Bayport/St. Croix/Otsego/Grand Rapids

Though it comes free with the rent, I have once again disconnected broadcast TV at the hedgehog lodge, since Comcast asked us to rent an additional box for analog TV.
    We watch movies & outdoor shows on disk, get our weather on the cell phone and manage to actually READ all the guy pubs again, just like we did after killing broadcast TV during the analogue conversion. More time on the water, too.

One can only take so many auction warrior, hoarder and swamp redneck shows…Funny how your memory and concentration improve when you unplug the box!

Greg Selner

I got rid of cable 2 years ago.
    Just have a cell phone now.
    If i need to do something on the computer I do it at work.
    Can take alot more fishing trips now.

fish-them-all
    Oakdale, MN

148 for Xfinity triple play. This is fast internet, expanded basic cable and unlimited long distance and local calling. Are they charging everyone 1.99 for those converter boxes they claimed 2 years ago were free? Anybody fight that charge? This just started billing for me last month. I have 2 converter boxes for non digital tvs.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I thought I was getting reamed at $150.00 for high speed internet, landline phone service and TV with quite a few extras. We have direct TV satellite dish and dollar for dollar I’m probably paying the same here which is toooo much. It seems like they always have an excuse for a $2 too $5 add on a couple times a year. If it goes up again I’m going to tell them if they don’t bring the price down substancially I’ll switch companies or discontinue something. Luckily we have three companies here in town and I’ll take the best offer. I’ve already got the other two cable companies cable on the house and the dish, so maybe they’ll bend. Another just because they can type of game.

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

$0. Bought a $50 antenna and put it in the garage attic. Get PBS, CBS, ABC, NBC, and Fox. Doubt we will ever go back to cable.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.