Rainy River Walleye

• jtetzloff

New to the site and looking forward to the banter. Quick question- I’m going to be up by Baudette May 3rd. Can you still fish walleye on Rainy River?

Hunting4Walleyes
    MN

The season closes on April 14th and doesn’t resume until May 11th. Sorry I didn’t have better news for you.

Welcome to IDO.

jtetzloff

Can you still fish for Northern and Sturgeon?

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Pike is “Continuous” on the Rainy in that section. Sturgeon closes May 7th. Be sure to have a Sturgeon Tag if you are fishing them however. We have had encounters where we had to explain to the CO that we were sucker fishing with Musky rods and 60# braid.

May 8th – May 15th is Catch and Release Sturgeon Season and you do not need a tag then.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

When did the law change that you needed a tag to catch and release sturgeon?

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

When did the law change that you needed a tag to catch and release sturgeon?

Not sure. However the CO was stern (yet understanding) with us back in 2008 when we were “sucker fishing”.

Hunting4Walleyes
    MN

You only need the tag if you plan on harvesting a fish.

Sturgeon tag (r) – Code 130

Description:
    Required for anyone, including those otherwise exempt from angling license requirements, who wish to harvest and possess a lake sturgeon. Requires the purchase of an angling license, unless specifically exempted.
    Buy license online
    Fishing regulations
    Fee:
    $ 5.00

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Maybe I’m wrong, but I don’t ever recall buying a special tag/license ever up there. I had a great talk with a CO one evening after we came off the water. He never mentioned anything like this after he checked our wells and cooler.

smalls
    Lake City, MN

You don’t need a tag to fish for sturgeon during the catch and release season or the harvest season as long as you are not harvesting a fish. The only closed season when you can’t fish catch and release with a fishing license and no tag in 2013 is May 16th through June 30th.

jerad
    Otranto, IA/Hager City, WI

Quote:

You don’t need a tag to fish for sturgeon during the catch and release season or the harvest season as long as you are not harvesting a fish. The only closed season when you can’t fish catch and release with a fishing license and no tag in 2013 is May 16th through June 30th.

I would pay special attention to this fella folks, He is definately “In the know”

and smalls, Ive been waiting for your first post, glad I was able to find it

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

The CO we dealt with on more than one occasion WAS ticketing people for sturgeon fishing without a tag even though they were intending on CPR Sturgeon Fishing.

This exact law has always been confusing and not clearly written.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Quote:

The CO we dealt with on more than one occasion WAS ticketing people for sturgeon fishing without a tag even though they were intending on CPR Sturgeon Fishing.

This exact law has always been confusing and not clearly written.

The CO you dealt with was dead wrong. In my opinion, there is no other way to interpret it. Catch and release without a tag is legal and always has been. AS LONG AS YOU WERE FISHING DURING THE OPEN SEASON!

Back then, fishing was legal on the Canadian side and maybe there is some differing opinion related to that???

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.