Columbia river sturgeon

• sharptailer
    IGH, MN

I am heading to Portland, Or in Sept. Would like to try for a couple of the large sturgeon that inhabit the Columbia River. Anybody care to recommend a guide?

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

My best friend from childhood is a salmon and steelhead guide in Portland and has a lot of good guide friends that do sturgeon as well. If you want his number or email, shoot me a PM and I will give it to you. I’m sure he can hook you up with some good guides. I would post his email here, but I don’t want BK contacting him and trying to sell him stink bait.

One thing to note is that the sturgeon seasons are very tightly regulated out there and only certain rivers are open at certain times. They also shut the whole thing down when a certain number of fish get harvested.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I posted on a web site out there a couple years ago that I was looking for an over sized sturgeon guide.

Holy Crap the “leave the big ones alone” people came out of the wood work!

Seems they would rather have you kill a 5 footer then to catch and release a 10 footer even though they can’t be taken out of the water. Too much stress on them was the reasoning.

Since I’ve never fished for over sized, I don’t have an opinion…but they don’t bite on stink bait like walleyes do!

No reason to hide it John. It’s good to help out another member.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

BK, if you need an over sized walleye guide let me know. I packed on some pounds this winter and am now definitely over sized.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.