Suffix advanced VS Suffix performance leadcores?

• Paul Heise
    River Falls, Wi

What is the difference between them? Which is better suited for a rookie? I want to get into more trolling w/leadcore. I have 2 diawa, 27 accudepth reels. How many colors can I fit on them? How much mono backer, if any should I leave on them? What type of line and how much should I run as a leader? I plan on doing some trolling on LOW & Rainy for trout and walleye. Also some rather clear lakes here in Wi, and probably the Croix and Miss for walleye. Which poundage would best suit my needs all around? Really a rookie to trolling in general except for the old long lining w/a splitshot method in under 15ft of water! Thanks for any input!

BBKK
    IA

Watch the laker video that was on a couple weeks ago. Tells about the advanced and compares the two.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Since you only have size 27 reels I say the 832 Advanced.

Your reels are smaller and you will get deeper with less line, meaning you can get more depth with the line you do have on the reel.

It dives about 6-7 feet per color whereas the performance only hit about 5′ per color. So depending on how deep you want to get will depend on how many colors you need (or can fit on a 27).

5 colors (half spool) should fit on a 27 reel for you. That will get you 30-35′ down plus any dive curve for the lure/leader combo you are running.

My advice is to start backwards for filling your reels to get your backing numbers figured out. This method is the most accurate but does take some visualization for some to see how it all works out-

-spool 30′ of a floro leader in your choice of # (10-14 or a super line)

– Tie that to the 832 then spool 5 colors on the reel.

– Tie a heavier than the LC mono backer on then fill the reel. (make sure you measure the backer as you will need the measurement later, I use arm lengths in most cases.

– then transfer what you just spooled onto the empty reel. So the heavy backer will now be on the bottom of the spool, then your LC and then the leader will be last or on top.

You will now have the correct length of mono backer as you found that number from measuring what it took to top off the spool. You now spool the last reel in the correct/ traditional order starting with the heavy Mono of the same length you put on the other reel.

Look on google or you tube for knots to use between LC and mono: willis, uni to uni or a small #10 swivel.

I say 12-18# 832 Advanced would be fine for your LC #.

Paul Heise
    River Falls, Wi

Thanks Mark! I get what you are describing to fill the reels. If I decide to add more colors can I simply add more to the existing or should a start with a new spool. I ask this because I would imagine that I may need to get deeper for the lake trout. Or is adding snap weights to the leader line a viable option?

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

I got 7 colors of the advanced on my Sg17 Sealine very comfortably. It’s lighter duty than the 27 so I would think you should get 7 colors also, assuming the sealine and acudepth use the same spool and frame.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.