Culvert

• Chris Meisch
    Ramsey, MN 55303

I am need of a culvert for a project I am doing this spring. I am building a new pole shed on my property and the new driveway will cross a small ditch.
    I will need one that is 18 to 20 feet long and probably only 6 to 8 inches in diameter.
    Any one have anything remotely close they are willing to part with? or
    Any suggestions on where a guy could get one?

drew-evans
    rochester MN

farm auctions sell them all the time. i know there is a auction coming up between oronoco and pine island about 10 miles north of rochester on highway 52 soon, i seen they were starting to stock pile auction items there im not sure how you can go about finding what they will have on the auction though. i know my dad bought a couple at this location a few years ago.

bigwheel

Go to your county highway department they should have some good used ones

Wadsworth

Quote:

I built a new driveway last year and needed a 60 foot wide by 18 inch culvert, I ordered a new one thorough my township maintenance.

igotone

Quote:

anything thur township, county or highway dept will be at least 18″ in diameter

U should B able to get a 8 or 10″ one from a farm store

they may be plastic which is alright as long as you don’t get it on fire

make sure U get it long enough 18 – 20 feet is not much

remember U have to shope from ditch to top of road – that can take up 6 feet easy on each side

bclii
    MN/AZ

Quote:

I will need one that is 18 to 20 feet long and probably only 6 to 8 inches in diameter.

Menards or Fleetfarm.

igotone

Quote:

Quote:

Menards or Fleetfarm.

yep – U can check there on line

we have Bomgarrs around here and they have the smaller sized ones 6″ to a foot – but I believe they are plastic

which is fine – just don’t let it get started on fire

U can’t get them out – it is just like a chimney fire with the air going thur it

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Make sure whatever you put in is rated for the weight you intend to drive over it. Some small culverts are intended for drainage only and not rated to be driven on.

My cousin found out about this the hard way, he had a similar deal with a driveway down to his storage building. Then they had to redo a septic system when the truck that brought in the backhoe flattened the culvert. Good thing he had a backhoe there for a little extra digging…

Grouse

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

Quote:

I am need of a culvert for a project I am doing this spring. I am building a new pole shed on my property and the new driveway will cross a small ditch.
    Any one have anything remotely close they are willing to part with? or

From an Engineering Point of View, I would advise going to a larger pipe, no smaller than 12″, 15″ would be better. Reason for this is that with sand, silt & weeds, a small pipe will easily clog up and be difficult to clean out. Using a larger pipe it is less likely to fill up with debris and easier to clean out.

Other replies are correct in that most County Public Works shops have used culverts forsale and will have the name of their vendor if you prefer buying new and usually have a bid for supplying residents like yourself at a great price.

As in another reply, to avoid heavy vehicles from crushing it, especially if you go with a plastic pipe make sure you compact the gravel fill around the pipe and have 1-foot or more of fill over the top to distribute loads to avoid crushing the pipe.

Good luck.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.