slow the roll

• Dadams
    Emmetsburg, Iowa

I have a 115hp outboard on my boat and want to slow my trolling speed down a bit. I do not want to invest in a kicker motor at this time. Anybody out there have any pro’s or con’s on these devices that bolt to the lower unit and act as a brake? Looking for suggestions. THANKS

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

If you get one, make sure it’s one that flips up on it’s own. If not, you will forget at some point, and will either break it, or bend it.

I’d suggest a pair of trolling bags myself.

Paul Heise
    River Falls, Wi

Quote:

I’d suggest a pair of trolling bags myself.

X2! No hassle trying to mount gadgets to the motor and basicly nothing to fail on you after spending our hard earned cash. If you have a bowmount motor you can also use that to thrust against your big motor in tandem w/the drift sock/trolling bag setup to fine tune speed.

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

If you have a trolling motor run it in the opposite direction you are trolling. Should slow you down a bit.

the_grump
    Le Center

Tie two five gallon buckets off the front cleats, that will drop 1 to 2 mph

p4walleye
    Rochester, MN

I bought a pair of amish outfitter trolling bags as a gift to my buddy about 5 years ago and they work great. Heavy construction easy in and out from the bow. Love the stuff these guys make. Google them, call the guy, tell him what boat you have, and what you are trying to accomplish for speeds and he will set you right up! If I didn’t have a kicker, I would run these bags.

big_g
    Isle, MN

They make them with shear pins in them for when you forget to put it up. It breaks a .25c pin and not the whole set-up

jerry b
    western WI

I went from a 3 blade stainless to a 4 blade aluminum on my f115. Bad part is that it took about 8 mph off my top end but I’m down to 1.2 fwd and as low as .9 or 1.0 backtrolling. Better than that if it’s against the wind or current. A plus is that the hole shot really rocks and will stay on plane a lot slower jerr

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Quote:

If you have a trolling motor run it in the opposite direction you are trolling. Should slow you down a bit.

This worked better on my boat than trolling bags. Think James has a post or maybe even a video on trolling bags.

igotone

Quote:

I bought a pair of amish outfitter trolling bags as a gift to my buddy about 5 years ago and they work great. Heavy construction easy in and out from the bow. Love the stuff these guys make. Google them, call the guy, tell him what boat you have, and what you are trying to accomplish for speeds and he will set you right up! If I didn’t have a kicker, I would run these bags.

same here

great guy to work with – and well made stuff

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.