Gas Prices

• sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

Figured as long as we were debating the poor and rich today it was time for this. Gas up to $3.69 around Rochester this morning.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

Figured as long as we were debating the poor and rich today it was time for this. Gas up to $3.69 around Rochester this morning.

Yep, saw that on my way out of town this AM. My thought, “well, that didn’t last long.”

mike-west
    Amery, WI

Creeping it up so right before summer holidays they can make a slight drop in price and make you think you’re getting a deal at $4.00/Gallon
    WTF!!!

big_g
    Isle, MN

According to some, we need to subsidize Oil companies more….

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

hmmm…gas dropped here in St. Michael over the weekend down to 3.47/gallon from 3.57.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Quote:

hmmm…gas dropped here in St. Michael over the weekend down to 3.47/gallon from 3.57.

you better stock up.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Jumped to 3.74 here from $3.22 two weeks ago…

BCNeal
    Bloomington, MN

The average gas price in the USA back in December 2008 was $1.61….hard to believe it’s now $3.69.

Paulski
    “Ever Wonder Why There Are No Democrats On Mount Rushmore ? "

I think we should make more ethonal, that is the answer for sure…

out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

Quote:

The average gas price in the USA back in December 2008 was $1.61….hard to believe it’s now $3.69.

wow thats crazy!

Chris H

Quote:

x2

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

Quote:

I think we should make more ethonal, that is the answer for sure…

We could be making more. Saw news story today about how many plants are sitting idle because of high corn prices. I’m sure it has nothing to do with people not wanting to use it.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

We need to increase federal and state taxes on gas, I mean revenue fees on gas. That will drive demand down which will lead to lower prices.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Quote:

We need to increase federal and state taxes on gas, I mean revenue fees on gas. That will drive demand down which will lead to lower prices.

Ok Al

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Quote:

We also need to increase the sale of refined oil to other countries.

That begs the question, what happened to the surplus of refined oil we had all summer last year. Now their saying there is a shortage partially causing the increase in gas prices.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Ok Al

I also agree we should end Gas/Oil subsidies, but lets not stop there. There are plenty of industries we can eliminate depreciation as a right off. But we need to end the biggest subsidy, mortgage interest write offs.

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

BP was fined $450 billion for the gulf incident. gas was down to $2.85 a gallon a few weeks ago when i saw that on the news. less that one week later gas was back up to $3.60 a gallon. all the oil companies are going to make out on this one!!!!

Chris
    Rochester, MN

A few months back I heard an analyst predicting that there would soon be an .80 jump in prices. If he was right, there is still .20 to go. Hang on!

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

Quote:

Who is some? Please provide references…if not, close the pie hole.

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Quote:

Quote:

wow thats crazy!

July of 2008 is when we were at $4.00+/ gallon.

FDR

ptc
    Apple Valley/Isle, MN

You’re off a little bit on the fine. It is $4.5 billion. Still a lot of money, but a long way from 450.

Quote:

BP was fined $450 billion for the gulf incident. gas was down to $2.85 a gallon a few weeks ago when i saw that on the news. less that one week later gas was back up to $3.60 a gallon. all the oil companies are going to make out on this one!!!!

buck-slayer

Gas is cheaper in WI that never happens. Wi has a 13 cent higher tax on gas (I think) and tonight we are 15 cents cheaper in Hudson than Woodbury.

farmerpet
    Hastings Mn

To many politicians invested in oil. Get them out and see what happens to prices. Funny how the prices went up so fast after the inauguration.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

This has been the most demagogued post I have seen in a long time.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

With oil output at it highest here in the United States wouldn’t it have been nice if 6 years ago they built another refinery. I remember the subject being disussed here pretty throughly and another refinery might have been able to keep gas prices down.

So lets see,,,no refinery that they should have built to keep prices down for the American consumer, higher gas prices to the point where its taking its toll on the American economy, a .65 cent rise in prices in about 3 weeks and our oil output hasen’t changed the supply and demand ratio, I could see a slight rise if supply and demand was a little offset. The worlds oil companies, includeing the ones in the United States could give a rats — about helping things go round a little better here in the states. I think instead of the worlds oil companies haveing our nuts in a vice and turning the handle when they want our government should step up to the plate and squeeze the worlds oil companies jewels in the vice. Too me its all for the huge profits and to heck with everyone else, so much for a stable economy and I seen this coming along time ago.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I used to say when you adjust for inflation, you aren’t paying much more than we always have. Checking some charts just now, that doesn’t appear to be the case. And the double whammy is the cost of living continues to go up while most people’s incomes have at best remained the same or actually gone down when adjusted against cost of living and inflation. If you have been getting up to a 3% or so raise annually or have had your pay frozen for a few years, you are making less money.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Quote:

Quote:

I am sure EVERY oil exec would like more subsidy…. Come on, are you seriously that naive ???

Taken from a poster yesterday….

Of this, so called, corporate welfare, which of it are you against?

Do you want to reward oil exploration or have $6 at the pump?

Do you want to subsidize inefficient ethanol or have cheaper food?

Left wing extremists use corporate welfare because it sounds so bad. But they fully support it when it is for their pet projects. So instead of using a generic phrase that is meaningless, please specifically say what you are for or against. From your prior posts, I assume you like market based, non-speculator influence, non-govt inventive $6 gas prices. Correct? Or do you just know nothing about economics?

Pie hole ??? Bully much as a kid….? Try to make me

SLACK
    HASTINGS, MN

you guys do know that the big oil companies are publicly owned right?
    so if you really believe your own babbeling why don’t you take every thing you own, morgage it to the hilt, buy some stock in one of the big bad oil companys then you can just sit back put your feet up and ride the gravy train in to the sun set.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

It is my understanding that the oil “subsidies” are actually the same tax credits and deductions used by all companies. I welcome any article links to the contrary.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I am sure EVERY oil exec would like more subsidy…. Come on, are you seriously that naive ???

Taken from a poster yesterday….

Of this, so called, corporate welfare, which of it are you against?

Do you want to reward oil exploration or have $6 at the pump?

Do you want to subsidize inefficient ethanol or have cheaper food?

Left wing extremists use corporate welfare because it sounds so bad. But they fully support it when it is for their pet projects. So instead of using a generic phrase that is meaningless, please specifically say what you are for or against. From your prior posts, I assume you like market based, non-speculator influence, non-govt inventive $6 gas prices. Correct? Or do you just know nothing about economics?

Pie hole ??? Bully much as a kid….? Try to make me

To be clear, I wasnt supporting the oil subsidies. I was merely pointing out that it was enacted to encourage domestic oil exploration. Historically, oil was a big gamble. Lots of dry land before anything was found. The special tax treatment of oil was to ensure that people would gamble over and over to find oil. I think that technology is at the point where this is not really necessary….and probably was never really necessary.

That said, it is no different than the mortgage interest deduction to encourage home ownership. The health care deduction to encourage people to buy health insurance. Lower capital gains/dividends tax to encourage investment. Earned income tax credits to encourage lower income people to work more.

I would ask anyone to make a case where government manipulation of the markets has had a positive impact.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 69 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.