Bottom Feeders

• BassinBill
    La Crosse, Wi

Any one watch that show on Outdoor Channel? It follows the commercial fishing up on Pool 4 area. Had it on the dvr and finally watched it last night.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I caught the pilot episode on line after getting a heads up from a friend.

Watching it in the temperature controlled home sure beats a ride along!

BassinBill
    La Crosse, Wi

My exact thoughts BK

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

They need to change the name of the show though. I didn’t see one walleye.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Thanks for the heads up, I forgot about this show. I wonder if they will have controversy like, I don’t know, taking a photo of a Silver Carp on the shore of pool 4 claiming it was caught there?

pass0047
    Pool4

Saw the first episode and thought it was fun seeing places I have been. Tim Adams ( one of three main people in the show) is a person I grew up with and still fish and hunt with occasionally. He is a character for sure and he will tell as he sees it.

A few friends and relatives have worked with him and it can be tough work.

Look foreward to seeing the season.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Pretty cool so far. Was a little concerned about doing a google search for bottom feeders at first.

http://vimeo.com/37962266

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

It’s a neat show. It’s a little different from all the other shows on the Outdoor Channel. More of a real reality show. I’m sure there is things that happen with them netting the way they do that might turn off those that sport fish. All in all I really like seeing carp taken out of the system by the thousands. I’ll continue to watch and learn about another way to fish for a living.

outdoors4life
    Stillwater, MN

No problem with carp being netted like this but a big problem is they really want the bigmouth buffalo. They can get a really good price on them out east shipping them alive. When money gets involved too often ethics go out too.

gonecribbin
    reads landing MN

Very cool show, I loved how Adams set the net in the ice with the remote control submarine… Here I thought that guy only knew how to fish wing dams

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

That is pretty cool.

BK, perhaps you could shed some light on this for me. After watching Ax Men and Bottom Feeders and other shows. If this is a man’s livelihood why do they not have modern technology like side imaging electronics and what not. It seems that technology would be highly valuable.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

That is pretty cool.

BK, perhaps you could shed some light on this for me. After watching Ax Men and Bottom Feeders and other shows. If this is a man’s livelihood why do they not have modern technology like side imaging electronics and what not. It seems that technology would be highly valuable.

Because they cost a couple months groceries? Maybe they can buy one if the show becomes Duck Dynasty II or Deadliest Catch II.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

I was watching “shipwreck men” on discovery last night. They were running $100,000 boats and still using the flying bridge to search for sunken boats. Where side imaging would be a prime tool.

Same for Ax Men when one sunken log would buy a HB 998 SI.

Got to spend money to make money in business. Plus you get to write off business expenses.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

On a side note. We watch Duck Dynasty a lot. Good show. Good role models for once.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

On a side note. We watch Duck Dynasty a lot. Good show. Good role models for once.

DD is the greatest Mockumentary ever.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

My guess would be that guy spent all his money on that under water robot. Could not make heads or tails of what he was looking at on the paper. What the heck was that unit anyways. Old Side imaging?

BassinBill
    La Crosse, Wi

I see the guy with the paper graph had a Side Imaging unit in one of the episodes..

joemama
    North St Paul

Quote:

My guess would be that guy spent all his money on that under water robot. Could not make heads or tails of what he was looking at on the paper. What the heck was that unit anyways. Old Side imaging?

looked like an old school paper graph..never had 1 but they where supposed to much more accurate back in the day ..it looks like he has he transducer mounted on it’s side so he can scan off to the sides

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

It was a paper graph vexilar (can I say that here?) that had the transducer mounted on a pole to shoot to the side rather then down.

Wonder where he gets the paper?

joemama
    North St Paul

i thought that they sold the vexilar paper at everts ?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Vexilar was also very popular in the sport fishing paper graphs. In the late sixties and early seventies we had some of the best units on the market**, including the models 155 and 555. Many of these are still in use today. And we still provide paper, parts, and service for them.

That answered that question.

**No Comment-You’re welcome CS.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.