Trying to quit chewing

• BassinBill
    La Crosse, Wi

Has anybody tried quitting? Any tips? It’s only day 1and I’m going nuts!

travp
    Blaine , Mn

I quite on May 1st, 2012. Seeds, lots and lots of seeds.
    Good luck!

eyesfishin
    Somerset, WI

Tomorrow will be 11 months for me. I still miss it everyday. It is one of the hardest things I’ve ever done. I used the nicorette mini lozenges. And for about the first three months I probably spent the same amount of money on them as I had been spending on chew. But it did keep the edge off. Sunflower seeds gum help too. Keep yourself busy too. Even if it means cooking dishes blah blah blah. It helps to keep your mind off of it. Good luck. Let me know if you need anymore advice.

tbrooks11

how about some jerky chew?!

DrewH
    s/w WI.

I had to quite twice. Ask your Dr. To give you script for welbrutan phonic. You can chew the first week or so but did not have to. Works great with some effort on your part. Drug has two purposes and one is nicotine sessation. Good luck

jighead-two
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

I quit cold turkey (smoking & Cope) November 17th 1984 for my oldest son’s 6th birthday. Believe me it was NOT easy. I’ve thanked him on his birthday every year since. I wouldn’t have been much of a dad if I wouldn’t have kept my word. 20 years later if I saw someone with a chew I still missed it. Now finally the urge is completly gone. Hang in there, it’s hard, but can be done. You’ll be glad you quit!!!

iowa roger
    North central Iowa

As an ex Cope user, it ain’t easy,but can be done.
    I picked up the habit working around Danish guys, they were like 2 or 3 cans a day users.
    It took me several tries to quit. I used to dream of chewing and wake up slobbering with a big smile on my face.It took me several years to really forget about chewing altogether.
    I was not a fun guy to be around when I had withdrawal problems from it. But finally I made it and am so glad I did.
    Hope this helps.

Roger

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

– First few days are going to be tough. Then it gets easier.
    – Think about what that stuff costs, and all the cool gear you can afford instead.
    – Nicotine and caffeine counter each other. When I quit, I kept pouring down the Joe and I couldn’t sleep for the first three days. I thought I was losing my mind. Cut back on the coffee.

Good luck, you can do this!

Rootski

Mr. Pike 81
    NW Iowa

I chewed Skoal for 30 years. In that time I quit once for a year and once for two years. Each time I started up after quiting, I chewed more than before. Finally, when my mother got oral cancer and she had never smoked or drank alcohol in her life, I quit for good. Cold turkey. It is a hard habit to quit,but well worth it. The first week is the worst. Gum helps. But you have to want to quit. Good luck.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I found while I was “quitting” smoking numerous times over 20 years, that the secret is you don’t ever “quit”… simply, you just don’t do it anymore. While I was “quitting” it was like a chore to do it & left me an out to start again… once I made up my mind, that I didn’t smoke anymore… it was easy You can do it

Geerdes
    Brandon, SD 57005

Chewed Copenhagen for 28 years. Quit several times for short periods but never could stay off my 2 can a day habit. The longer I chewed the more I chewed each day. I was going to have one hip replaced in 2008 and didn’t want to go through the hospital stay w/o Cope. Called the state of SD and visited my doctor and got a free script for Chantix. Took it for 90 days. Started August 9, 2008 and haven’t had a chew since. Welabutran is a drug given to a lot of stroke patients to help ward off depression, I have heard it helps, but never took that with my Chantix. I chewed gum, seeds, etc. quite a bit for the first year. The toughest time for me was when a had a few adult beverages. This was the toughest thing I have ever done. Lean on your family for support. Have a relative call you a couple times a week to chat and see how things are going. Support from family and friends is extremely helpful. When you get the urge resist, it will go away reseasonably quick. Also try avoiding things that keyed you to having a chew. Good luck.
    Todd

Palerider77

Sounds harsh, but find something better to do than feeling sorry for yourself. I smoked like a stack for 14 years and when I decided to not smoke anymore I just quit putting them in my mouth and lighting them. Any crutch is going to convince you that it can’t be done. You can do it, just move on and quit doubting yourself. After the first 24 hours, it is all in your head.

Willy Wonka
    Forest Lake, Mn.

Quote:

After the first 24 hours, it is all in your head.

I smoked two packs a day and finally had enough. Yes smoking and dipping are different but, bottom line, neither are a cake walk to quit. I found after 24 hours it was all in my head and the one day at a time worked for me. Going on 25 years and can’t believe I ever did such a nasty habit. Good luck to you!

WS

BassinBill
    La Crosse, Wi

Thank you everyone. I feel a little better about it now hearing you all were able to kick the habit too.

eyejacker
    Hudson, Wisconsin

I believe that it was Samuel Clemens that said that quitting was easy, “I must have done it a thousand times myself”. I quit a three pack of smokes a day on October 14, 1978. It took the mind set to finally find the determination to persevere and finally succeed. Going on 35 years and without doubt, the best thing I ever did for my health. I am living proof, (emphasis on living) that it can be done! Hang in there as it takes a while, but the frequency and intensity of the urges will subside and eventually disappear entirely.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

Sounds harsh, but find something better to do than feeling sorry for yourself. I smoked like a stack for 14 years and when I decided to not smoke anymore I just quit putting them in my mouth and lighting them. Any crutch is going to convince you that it can’t be done. You can do it, just move on and quit doubting yourself. After the first 24 hours, it is all in your head.

Quitting chewing is 10 times harder than quitting smoking in my opinion. I was hurting inside my body and mind for a good six months. It was very hard to get off the chew. You need to keep fighting it every day. It will not be easy and you will probably fail a few times. Just stick with it!

-J.

broncosguy
    Blaine, MN

i quit the weekend after teh first GTG on mille lacs way back when. went through 2 bags of red and white peppermont mints and took care of it. more or less i chewed/ate becaseu i was bored i think. lol. but more or less have gum and mints around should help out. and good luck we are here supporting you trying to stop.

rkd-jim
    Fountain City, WI.

INCENTIVE!!!! Got any kids?? Got any grandkids?? Look at them and try to imagine what it would be like for them to watch you kill yourself. Try to imagine what it would be like not to see your grandchildren grow up.

I smoked for 14 years and quit in 1980. Took up Cope to quit smoking (how dumb was that). Quit chewing in 1993 cold turkey. That was a lot harder than stopping smoking. Still reach for the tin that isn’t there every once in a while! Gotta get your priorities right….

john-o
    Hastings, MN

I quit chewing and drinking on the same day 27 years ago. Quitting chewing was way harder than quitting drinking for me. I quit cold turkey, just made up my mind and quit. Nothing is going to work for you if you don’t really want to make it happen. A couple of tricks that worked for me was chewing gum and staying active after meals. It’s all between your ears.

minnesota_tom
    Grand Meadow, MN

Good luck Billy. I am on day four of not smoking. Even though I smoked for over 33 years, it’s going easier than I thought. Nicorette gum helps a ton. It sounds stupid, but I just liked to smoke. One incentive is that I have a $5,000.00 bet with my boss. I also have kids and grandkids that I want to do a lot more fishing with.

desperado

Evidently the BK method is Secret7 and/or Sudden Impact

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

Works great! Takes your mind off of EVERYTHING!

desperado

maybe so, but you’re easily distracted

(hey look, it’s the newest member of the BIFT)

BassinBill
    La Crosse, Wi

Quote:

Quote:

Works great! Takes your mind off of EVERYTHING!

I’ll take your word for it

big_g
    Isle, MN

I was the opposite… chewed for 4 years, quit that no problem, by smoking

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Pack a day for 40 years. I quit smoking November 15th 2012 cold turkey.

Not my first time but it is THE LAST I”M Quitting!!!!

Done the same thing 4 to 5 times now twice for 6 months. NOT EVER AGAIN! I’m done.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.