LX7 HELP!

• eyecatchum
    Milwaukee WI

I realize that this post may be viewed as blasphemy on this site, but Im in serious need of help, so here goes. I bought an LX7 last january from Cabelas, and until this past weekend, it has been one of the best ice fishing investments ive ever made. Last Saturday, all that changed though. I fully charged my unit Friday night and Saturday morning it was off to the lake. For the first hour or so, it was business as usual, bringing a few crappies topside, but then the unit went on the fritz. Depth started jumping all over the place and seemed to be picking up a lot of interference, but there wasnt anybody else on the lake. After a few minutes of this, the unit finally settled back down and registered a solid 11 ft. Only problem was, i was fishing 27 feet and the unit was not actually working as I could not mark my jig at all. So, I powered down the unit, undid all the connections from the back as well as the power leads and then reconnected them all. Powered the unit back up, and everything was back to normal. Phew………..NOT!!! 15 minutes later the chaos started all over again. Redo the connections again and 10 min later, same problem. So, I fished the rest of the day with no flasher. When I went home, I put the unit back on the charger. It was on for maybe 30 min and then the battery registered fully charged, so I do not think it is a battery problem. Has anybody else had similar problems to this? Could it be a software thing?

Also, yes, I did try calling marcum service several times yesterday, left a voicemail this morning as well as sent them an email. No response yet………..

Please help! I’ve got a sleeper shack booked for Mille Lacs the weekend of January 25th, and I just might cry if the LX7 can’t come along.

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

Check your battery with a volt meter and see where it’s at.

You may have a bad battery or a bad charger.

eyecatchum
    Milwaukee WI

Voltmeter on the unit itself seems like I have a full charge, but I’ll pick up a voltmeter from the hardware store and check again. What should I expect to see? It reads 12.9V at a full charge on the unit itself.

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

Quote:

Voltmeter on the unit itself seems like I have a full charge, but I’ll pick up a voltmeter from the hardware store and check again. What should I expect to see? It reads 12.9V at a full charge on the unit itself.

12.9 is good. Skip the voltmeter purchase for now.

Are you running the 2.9 software?

eyecatchum
    Milwaukee WI

Yes, I am running the 2.9 software. Did the update right when it came out last year. Didnt have any issues with it until last weekend. Just got an email from Marcum asking that I send the unit back to them. Only problem is ice fishing is finally in full swing here in SE WI, and its going to suck being without a flasher for awhile. I may wait to try the new software update thats coming out soon before I send it back to see if that fixes the problem, but then ill really be pushing it to get the unit back before my trip…….

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Yes, I am running the 2.9 software. Did the update right when it came out last year. Didnt have any issues with it until last weekend. Just got an email from Marcum asking that I send the unit back to them. Only problem is ice fishing is finally in full swing here in SE WI, and its going to suck being without a flasher for awhile. I may wait to try the new software update thats coming out soon before I send it back to see if that fixes the problem, but then ill really be pushing it to get the unit back before my trip…….

FWIW – Turn around time is typically 1 day. Your unit will spend more time in transit than at MarCum.

eyecatchum
    Milwaukee WI

Good to know James. Guess I’ll be sending it back to marcum as soon as they send me the RA. And, thank you dandorn for the suggestions.

FishinPaul
    Eau Claire, WI

Welcome to the LX7!!! Mine does the same thing too! Try putting your unit in Manual mode,might help…When they work they are by far the best,but when they flip out,they stink! I wish Marcum woukd fix the problem,from what I understand this is still going to be the same with the upgrade.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.