Glow red paint

• taz
    Frederic wi

Anyone out there have any luck with glow red paint that holds the glow and holds up on chipping off for the do it yourself jig maker?

jiggin-rake
    inver grove heights, minnesota

Just got some new glow red paint from pro tec. Opened it up and it reeks like rotten eggs/sulfur. If baked properly the paint should be really durable and almost chip resistant. Youtube has alot of videos on how to paint and bake. Glow red is a great color.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

I have never found a glow red that really glows/last like the store bought jigs do but I am sure there is a company out there that has some.

Hopefully Tom Sawvell will see this post, he seems to have some great insight on glow paints.

chubby
    Bloomington

I make jigs and use 5 colors of glow on them. After years of failure to get good glow with paints and powders we developed a unique process that amplifies the glow. These jigs will glow without even charging them and will glow for up to 8 hrs.

So to answer the question, yes you can have a good long Red glow that is durable, but it cannot be done satisfactorily with paints.

taz
    Frederic wi

Chubby could you tell me what kind of paint you use and where I can buy it from?

taz
    Frederic wi

Quote:

Just got some new glow red paint from pro tec. Opened it up and it reeks like rotten eggs/sulfur. If baked properly the paint should be really durable and almost chip resistant. Youtube has alot of videos on how to paint and bake. Glow red is a great color.

Thanks I will look into it

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

The powder paint glow in color stuff works to a degree but it is weak in the glow department. Glowinc.com has powder pigments that are super for using with clear lacquer or the vinyl jig paint in clear. These pigments are heavy and settle fairly fast in liquid aints and when I use these pigments I dip the jig in the clear liquid, then coat the head quickly with the pigment and hang to dry. When the coat is hard I re-dip it in clear a couple times. The site also sells liquid glow paints, but I have not used any of these.

The pigments found at this site are super, but expensive. I use a lot of them in plastic baits and buy them by the full ounce, but 1/2 ounce is a lot of jigs when the pigment is put in a salt shakers to dust over the wet heads. Do this over a piece of copy paper with a fold thru the middle and the excess can easily be poured back into the shaker so waste is minimal.

The red glow pigment goes on best over a white undercoat. When charged it will hold the glow for up to 40 minutes. Blue glow and purple glow stay lit longer and the ultra-green glow will hold a charge for hours. I use more of the purple than red.

Another thing with the glow is that water under ice is typically darker water, regardless of the clarity. These glow products will cause an “aura” around a large area of glow, as in a whole jighead. I’d suggest painting heads the primary color you want them and let them dry, then dip just the nose end in white as an undercoat. When the white is dry dip that portion in clear and then tap the wet part into a small pile of the pigment poured on that piece paper. Hang the jig to dry again and then re-dip the glow portion in clear. A little glow will go a long way, not only in the number of jigs but also in how much reaction from a small portion lit up you’ll get. A 1/4 ounce jig covered entirely with glow can look like a 5/8 ounce ballhead when charged and down in the depths. This “percieved” size can spook fish.

chubby
    Bloomington

Like I said we do not use a paint as it does not work well. I really cannot disclose how we do ours but I think what Tom described should work for you.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Another thought along the lines of the glow pigments is the relatively new UV enhancer products. This stuff comes as a dip, a spray, a powder and as an additive for plastic and is generally a top-coat. Its clear and when it dries it collects and amplifies the natural uv found in daylight….it doesn’t get any help from artificial light so it is only a daytime thing. The advanage is that fishes’ eyes are sensitive to uv light and fish seem attracted to it.

I haven’t worked with it yet, but I have a product coming to use in soft plastics injection. I have seen plastics that have been coated with a clear coat containing the enhancer and lets just say it is something short of eye opening. I saw one pic of a plastic bait that was a pearl white in color, top coated with this, and it looked as though it was dangerous to handle. The picture looked like one of the sun where the body of the sun is blacked out and all that can be seen is the very surface activity. It was unreal.

Since I do play with jigs, I am also planning to picking up the product in a powder paint form too. The plastic additive I ordered and saw in use in the pictures is a whole heck of a lot cheaper …. $9.00/4 ounces vs upwards of $100.00/ 4 ounces – $138.00 for 4 ounces of glow red pigment…. than the glow pigments, especially any that will be worth their salt, and may be something to check out. I’m thinking Fleet Farm has some of these products.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.