how do I catch a bowfin

• jake2000
    Ottawa Ontario Canada

It seems impossible to catch one of these big guys. they destroy my tackle every time

jake2000
    Ottawa Ontario Canada

No it is also known as a dogfish

Geerdes
    Brandon, SD 57005

caught one on a Lindy rig and crawler last summer in 8fow. The bigger question is why would you want to catch one?

jake2000
    Ottawa Ontario Canada

Because they are great fighters and they are beutiful fish

big_g
    Isle, MN

just drag something through the mud

jake2000
    Ottawa Ontario Canada

what do you drag through the mud

robby
    Quad Cities

Just wait for warmer water and throw bass tackle in the backwaters.

chamberschamps
    Mazomanie, WI

How to catch a bowfin…

How do you not catch a bowfin is what I want to know. I’ve even got them on tipups.

corey_waller
    hastings mn

scum frog in the lilly pads in the dead of summer on the river. might have to fight off a few bass but I promise you will catch a dog fish. damn things

stuart
    Mn.

Persistence.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Quote:

what do you drag through the mud

a piece of poop , an piece of old inner tube…. JK !!! Just having fun with ya… seems we caught them on everything growing up, daredevls, raps, jigs, plain hooks with a piece of corn

jake2000
    Ottawa Ontario Canada

Thanks now I have some good Ideas.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Best way I have found to catch them is try not to. Dont even think about it. Then while pursuing something else, BAM!!

red89
    Hudson

Last one I caught was on a swimming senko with a weighted hook.. good luck. I dont even touch those things.

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

We have a group of guys trying to catch the state record from Lake Mohawkskin in Tomahawk, WI. I’ll try to find the post to see if there is any valuable info for you!!!

Mark

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

I caught a nasty 6 lber pitching a hair jig to the Vermilion wingdam last April…

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Quote:

The bigger question is why would you want to catch one?

Use a seine and sell them to China and Japan big bucks for pods of fry.

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

How to catch a bowfin…

How do you not catch a bowfin is what I want to know. I’ve even got them on tipups.

Bingo! lol

If you can find a way to not catch one, please let me know. I’m sick of them trashing bass lures and stretching out my walleye lines.

clang
    Garrison, MN

I agree jake2000. I think they are awesome fish. I caught three one night with a shiner on the weed edge. However, just like others stated I was not targeting them.

Dream’n
    South St. Paul, Mn

My best luck was in shallow water in the spring in my kayak. They don’t spook much when looking for there beds. Then I would use a small jig and plastic and it was game on!
    Dream’n

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Dream’n we might need to talk. I’m looking for some 7-8 inchers next summer.

jake2000
    Ottawa Ontario Canada

thank you for your tips

jake2000
    Ottawa Ontario Canada

Quote:

We have a group of guys trying to catch the state record from Lake Mohawkskin in Tomahawk, WI. I’ll try to find the post to see if there is any valuable info for you!!!

Mark

Thank you that would be great

STEVES
    New Richmond, Wi

We caught a few when we were kids and we put them in a stock tank(not sure why). The committed suicide over night by jumping out into the cow slop…(again, not sure why).

wally1992
    Evansville MN

Used to catch them on the St.Mary’s river in southern Goergia. that is the coffee stained water that drains out of the Okeefonokee swamp.
    we would fish for Brim(sunfish)and they where beautiful, red belly’s…..Long story short, the locals would keep some small ones and use them for cut bait. We would fold half of the Brim on a big Bass hook and put a big egg sinker on and throw it out into the middle of the river. Use a nice forked stick, leave your bail open and wait for the line to peel out. We would let them take it until they stopped. similiar to what we do with finicky northers on a tip up.
    Then set the hook and game on. I do have to admit it was a great fishing memory. Sometimes it does not pay to be a fishing snob.
    Carp in the spring also provide a great time for me. I do not know why but they will take small cranks for a short period of time.

woodenfish
    st.croix valley

Go north of Stillwater in the summer, fish the backwater you will tag into one.

seeds
    SE WI

When I was a kid I used to occasionally find myself by the river without a fishing pole when I’d go for a bike ride… I kept a short length of line and a couple hooks in my wallet. I’d root around in the shallows for some kind of bluegill bait (crawdad tail pieces?) and catch a few small ‘gills. I’d step on them,then hook and toss back out. Tie the line to my shoelace,sit back and wait. Caught mostly dogfish.

mrwalleye
    MN

It’s not that hard, I got this one pulling cranks

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Quote:

Quote:

Mark

Thank you that would be great

Jake:
    Here’s the info I found: fishinginfo.com

Once there go to “fishing reports” in the menu on the left side… Then go to Wisconsin, then down to the bottom of the list to “Tomahawk”. Once inside the Tomahawk reports, either at the bottom or top on the right side you will find pages of archived posts. Go to page 5 “Let’s bring the state record to Mohawkskin. Go to page 7, posts “Not able to make it up” and “Dogfish Days of summer”. Go to page 8, posts “Mohawkskin results with Gary Wolf” & “Mohawkskin Bullheads”.

Also look for the webpage http://www.bowfinanglers.com/recordtips.html

You can to pages 9 & 10 and look for these characters, Lucas lake, Silver spring or blind robin, some interesting personalities on these chaps. Good luck!!!

Mark

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.