Thinking about going back to college, taking ACT

• Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

I took a mock ACT earlier today and got a 22.7 overall. I looked over some info and got a 26.3 this evening. Not to bad for a guy who hasn’t been in High School in 18 years and in college in 12. With a little studying and work I should be able to lock in a 23+ on the real thing.

Man the thought of going back to school is both exciting and a bummer all at the same time.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

good luck! If you end up at UW Stevens Point, I’ll bring my boat. My daughter Lindsey just made the commitment for there.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

Do it, ive been trying to talk my wife into letting me go back to college but she didn’t like the idea of me moving into the dorms.

tbrooks11

good for you, never a bad idea to go back to college! I went through that whole process last year and the year before, stressful but definitely worth it! When signing up for the ACT, make sure to take the writing too.. a lot of colleges are beginning to require that extra portion of the test

chirp
    Rochester

Wade, could always go to one of the colleges with a fishing team.

Bassn Dan

Some universities used to waive the ACT for “non-traditional” students (older students.) That may have changed, but it would save you some time and expense if it isn’t required for the institution that you’re interested.

College is much easier when you are “more mature.” I was a classic underachiever in HS, but graduted summa cum laude from college.

Good luck.

Eric Pomplun
    janesville, wisconsin

well if you decide to go to uw-Stevens Point let me know since I am currently attending and the fishing in the area is pretty good and we have a pretty good fishing team too

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Actually taking the ACT will save me time and money as an ACT score or 23 or better makes all my previous credits transferable regardless of the time lapse from when I earned them to today.

This will be my third degree and second career change. Mostly out of desire vs. necessity….thankfully.

If all goes to plan I will be attending college in Northern MN getting a degree in Registered Nursing. That should compliment my degrees in Biology and Cardiac Ultrasound nicely.

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

Good for you, go for it! I went through it with two kids ages 1 and 4 when I started, held down the development tech job, and still managed to remain married. As you know you will have many credits for previous course work but be prepared to “catch up” on the technology changes. My change was more dramatic from biochem to comp sci. I just went balls out because of your a fore mentioned desire. Best thing I ever did for my career and my family. And as also mentioned, being more mature and focused helps immensely. Good luck no matter the direction you choose…it ain’t pretty being a professional now days in this improving (sic) economy.

tbrooks11

Thats great to hear Wade, I’m currently at Winona State with a hopeful degree in Nursing! The fishing club is top notch here at winona Goodluck!!

handy

DO IT. No Hesitation. Sounds familiar, but didn’t follow through. Wife said yes but I thought I was too old (51). 20-20 hindsight. Now, at 71, I see her wisdom. Pedal to the metal and don’t look back.

blufloyd

Yep do it. I am researching mini trade school training classes that lead to state licenses. Got one picked out now to schedule it during ice out.

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

Quote:

Thats great to hear Wade, I’m currently at Winona State with a hopeful degree in Nursing! The fishing club is top notch here at winona Goodluck!!

tbrooks11

Haha hey Cade! This is Travis!

drifter295
    Hastings MN

Knowledge is one thing you can never have too much of

bigpike

Been doing night school and working, my field – tool and die is becoming rapidly computer based and I need to learn the programs to keep up with the technology. It hurts now but it will pay later. Call it a mid life re-boot. I am finding myself energized in my field again.

chamberschamps
    Mazomanie, WI

I spent 5 semesters at a junior college and transferred to UW Lacrosse. I never had to take an SAT or ACT because I was a transfer. Saved a bunch of cash too.

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Think of the babes, parties and crazies you’ll get to play with…oh..ya, maybe and education too…:)

Never hurts to futher your education, go for it and good luck.

Al

a-and-t
    By Rochester,MN

Good for you! I have a daughter who is going for Rn at st. cloud ,and a wife who went to Augsburg for the same. Good career ,but stressfull depending what you go into as I am sure you know. I to would like to go back to get out of having to travel so much the last 8 years for work. If you have any questions on classes pm us , my wife might be able to help you.

Grouse_Dog
    The Shores of Lake Harriet

I guess I don’t understand the desire for additional “undergraduate” degrees.?

Why not try and do something to stretch and grow? You are clearly smart enough

Med school, law school or a post grad degree in something?

Probably help with your personal economic situation too

2 cents

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

I guess I don’t understand the desire for additional “undergraduate” degrees.?

Why not try and do something to stretch and grow? You are clearly smart enough

Med school, law school or a post grad degree in something?

Probably help with your personal economic situation too

2 cents

They work to hard and those degrees are a ton of work. I already have 60% of the credits needed. I am doing this for job stability and availability. Not really to further my mind. I enjoy the medical profession and want to stay in it.

I may consider a master’s degrees sometime down the road. Perhaps Nurse Practitioner or Nurse Anesthetist. However the opportunities for a RN with a significant cardiac background and skills are immense.

Pay will be basically the same. However my ability to live wherever I want in the US will be 1,000,000X what it is now. As a RN I can get into ER or Cardiac ICU and work 12 hour shifts (I used to work 12 hour shifts in ER back in the day). That is a lot of play time vs. work time.

With Nicole and I both being RNs, we are looking at a family income of 120k per year. That should put us in a nice financial position.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

The ACT specifically measures knowledge and skills acquired in highschool. I haven’t been in highschool in over 18 years.

I took the test three weeks ago and got a Composite Score of 25!!!!! I am pretty pumped about that. Looks like I will be back in college next fall.

The national average is 21 and MN average is 22.

Quote:

ACT, Inc. says that the ACT assessment measures high school students’ general educational development and their capability to complete college-level work with the multiple choice tests covering four skill areas: English, mathematics, reading, and science. The optional Writing Test measures skill in planning and writing a short essay.[5] Specifically, ACT states that its scores provide an indicator of “college readiness”, and that scores in each of the subtests correspond to skills in entry-level college courses in English, algebra, social science, humanities, and biology.[6] According to a research study conducted by ACT, Inc., in 2003, a relationship was found between a student’s ACT composite score and the possibility of he or she earning a college degree.[7]

lhprop1
    Eagan

If you perfect the Triple Lindy, you might get a scholarship.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

You are never too old to learn. I should go back too. I wish I was more mature when I attended college. I did acquire my BA but not with as good of grades as I could have made had I applied myself.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

You are never too old to learn. I should go back too. I wish I was more mature when I attended college. I did acquire my BA but not with as good of grades as I could have made had I applied myself.

I know exactly what you are saying. I was in the exact same boat. Hence the reason I had to (or chose to) take the ACT.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

All those ICC credits transfer????

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

All those ICC credits transfer????

With a composite score of 25 on the ACT, yes they do!

If I would have scored below 23 then no they wouldn’t.

Grouse_Dog
    The Shores of Lake Harriet

Go Ivy League!!!!!

Awesome score – you are clearly smarter than a 5th grader –

Oh yeah – that is already a TV show.

Dog

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Well, I received my acceptance letter in the mail today. It is official, back to school I go. The best part is I get to move back to the Iron Range.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.