Musky Suckers

• josh a

Where is the best place around town to get musky suckers? I’m looking for 14-18″ suckers. Hot bit right now in the metro. Cast a cowgirl and dangle a sucker off the side, deadly combo

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Two rods…….two people fishing?

scottie56005

I heard those Big Mamas twisted sisters out fish suckers 2:1 haha

kroger3
    blaine mn

The guys that know where to get them are gonna be pretty tight lipped. Buy them early in the week if you want them for the weekend.

TD Ramrod
    Menomonie, WI

Driving past Bait on Broadway in Menomonie WI yesterday thier sign said “MUSKY SUCKERS”, not sure about size give them a call at 715-231-2194

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

Two rods…….two people fishing?

I assume the sucker is set in a bucket or livewell then when the cowgirl gets to the side of the boat it is removed and the sucker is dropped in. If anything chased the lure it should grab the sucker.

josh a

always two people fishing. netting huge fish with a super masssive net solo is hard work. The bucket idea sounded intersting though

bgianpetro
    Minneapolis, MN

Do you mean metro Twin Cities?

I buy my live bait at the ACE Hardware on 54th and Nicollet in Minneapolis and I’ve noticed they have very large (around 18″) “decoy minnows.” I’m not sure what the “decoy” means, but I’m guessing they’re probably what you’re looking for.

buck-slayer

Lucky’s Bait in Amery has big minnows 7.00 for the big ones. Thought in MN 12″ was the biggest you could use.

jerrj01
    Hudson, WI

Quote:

Lucky’s Bait in Amery has big minnows 7.00 for the big ones. Thought in MN 12″ was the biggest you could use.

x2. And they are big. I have seen them close to 18″. Big enough to smoke if you don’t catch your wish.

kroger3
    blaine mn

Quote:

pretty sure the 12″ is for wild suckers and does not apply to raised ones?

can you bring suckers from wisconsin to minnesota? i know you can not from minnesota to wisconsin.

buck-slayer

Not sure about transporting over state lines but I won’t tell.

stcroixer
    Croix Valley

Quote:

Cast a cowgirl and dangle a sucker off the side, deadly combo

How far under the surface should the sucker be?

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Quote:

Depends on the sucker. If there is a muskie chasing them, they will try to get in the boat with you.

I like to add a big egg sinker above your quick stike rig to help keep them under the surface. Some minnows will try to stay on the surface, some will try to dive down in the weeds. I don’t think it really matters much. A hungry muskie won’t be shy.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Too funny Mr. Saw!

BTW walleye are much easier to find and kick a lot more then a sucker.

FWIW

stcroixer
    Croix Valley

Quote:

Quote:

Depends on the sucker. If there is a muskie chasing them, they will try to get in the boat with you.

I like to add a big egg sinker above your quick stike rig to help keep them under the surface. Some minnows will try to stay on the surface, some will try to dive down in the weeds. I don’t think it really matters much. A hungry muskie won’t be shy.

Just picked up a Fenwick/6600c4 combo at the local pawn shop on the cheap, so now I gotta go. Thanks for the sinker tip, I’ve watched a few utubes and that seems to be the consensus. I’m probably going to go about 3 feet down under the boat and try to draw them in on a dbl cowgirl.

kroger3
    blaine mn

Running depth kind of varies on the lake and what type of structure your working but generally we run them to a depth where they just disappear from your sight. Sometime we dead line them off the side, sometimes off the back and sometimes on bobbers upto 100′ back.

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

Quote:

I buy my live bait at the ACE Hardware on 54th and Nicollet in Minneapolis and I’ve noticed they have very large (around 18″) “decoy minnows.” I’m not sure what the “decoy” means, but I’m guessing they’re probably what you’re looking for.

Usually the reference to a decoy minnow is in the context of spearing. Since that is a hard water season and not open yet I am not sure how one would use a decoy minnow now.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.