Garmin Lake SD Chip?

• Cp3
    Hammond, WI

I’m sure this is has been posted somewhere at some point. I was just wondering if any one has used a Garmin gps for ice fishing? And which lake chip do you use? I thought a Garmin because you could use it in your truck to get out to your lake and then use it to pin point your fishing hot spot. Any thoughts?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

I’m sure this is has been posted somewhere at some point. I was just wondering if any one has used a Garmin gps for ice fishing? And which lake chip do you use? I thought a Garmin because you could use it in your truck to get out to your lake and then use it to pin point your fishing hot spot. Any thoughts?

I know some of the Garmin Nuvi units, not all, will display Lakemaster data. You need a Lakemaster for Garmin chip (no longer available as a new product but still widely available) and a Nuvi or similar unit with map chip capabilities and you’re good to go.

Now, if you’re looking for Navionics chip compatibility I’m of no use to you whatsoever. Hopefully someone else can shed light…

Cp3
    Hammond, WI

I have looked at other sites and it looks like it could work out fine. One thing is the battery in cold weather sounds like it sucks. Otherwise might be worth a try.

brad-o
    Mankato

I use the nuvi 200 and it works perfect you can up grade the battery at newpower99.com and it will last for hours on ice. I fish Spirit Lake IA and it is dead on.

dhiggins
    Brooklyn Park, MN

I have a Garmin gpsmap 78 with a lakemaster chip and it works great for ice fishing or on a boat. I use mine year round. The Garmin marine handhelds are tough and waterproof. I just got my dad one for his birthday with the Garmin upper midwest fishing guide chip. Looking at it last night, it appears to have all the same contours as my Lakemaster chip for the lakes we fish here in MN.

Cp3
    Hammond, WI

Quote:

Quote:

I know some of the Garmin Nuvi units, not all, will display Lakemaster data. You need a Lakemaster for Garmin chip (no longer available as a new product but still widely available) and a Nuvi or similar unit with map chip capabilities and you’re good to go.

Now, if you’re looking for Navionics chip compatibility I’m of no use to you whatsoever. Hopefully someone else can shed light…

Have you guys done a video before on using a Garmin Nuvi or Navionics app on a phone? If not that would really be something worth looking into. Thanks for the input everybody I might have to give it a try.

Cp3
    Hammond, WI

I think I’m going to try the app first because it is only like $10. I still think a Garmin Nuvi with a lakemaster chip would be nice to have especially for those of us who drive out on the ice.

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

The Nuvi 450 or 550 are what a lot of people are using.
    nuvi 550

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.