Mike Holmgren

• smoke grub

the Cleveland Browns have a new owner today, and within the first 10 minutes fired Mike Holmgren.
    and I just wonder, in his heart of hearts, does he have any regrets that he allowed his giantic ego, to ruin his almost perfect situation that he had in Green Bay. Ron Wolf was still GM. Brett Favre was trained and at the peak of his career, and all Holmgre had to do was show up and have a potential Super Bowl team each and every year.

I just wonder, if he realizes just how all time special he COULD HAVE BEEN in Green Bay. The Packers could have won , two , three or even more SuperBowls in a row, had Holmgren had his head and his ego in Green Bay.. He could have won so many times that they would have changed the name of the stadium for him..

its just amazing when you have the perfect combination, and you let your ego get in your own way.. and it happens all the time in sports.. but Mike Holmgren may go down as the biggest buffone who beleived his own press clippings, and allowed his ego to ruin possibly the finest run in the history of the Green Bay Packers..

Mike Stephens
    WI.

Grub put down the bong. He was no great coach.

big_g
    Isle, MN

the same would be said about Belichick, if they ousted him when he got bigger than life… he is still there, but the Superbowls still aren’t “rolling in” they are mostly won by the players… not the coaches.

bigpike

Quote:

Grub put down the bong. He was no great coach.

Grub pass the bong this way. Holmgren took a losing franchise stuck in the Lombardi years and created a winning atmosphere. He coached a super bowl team were others said one would never be won. He wanted more power and went to Seattle were he coached another SB team that lost to Pittsburgh over some very bad calls. Holmgren’s problem is he cant pick talent. But to coach the young stallion into a three time MVP and bring the Packers out of darkness took greatness and Holmgren was part of that equation. Behind Lombardi he is the in the top three greatest coaches for the Packers all time. HOF material based on his coaching / offensive genius….

STEVES
    New Richmond, Wi

I’ll take a hit….

Mike Stephens
    WI.

You said that Holmgren couldn’t pick talent and we agree. Therefore he was a good coach but not great. He lacked a key ingredient of the equation. IMHO

skeeterbite
    illinois

I think he needs a urine sample, he is deffinetly in outer space

smoke grub

chuck noll wasn’t a Gm.. and he was an excellent coach. Tom Landry, and Bill Beliacheat isn’t a gm as well.
    being a GM is NOT A GOOD COACH.. that’s a mistake and should not be held against anyone.

hnd

he won a superbowl and almost won another. he has stacks of cash and will walk off into the sunset while his prodigies still succeed in the nfl.

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Holmgren earned $24 million dollars for going to Cleveland. Not to mention what he made going to Seattle first. He made his name in Green Bay. I certainly don’t blame him for getting out when he did.

Maybe he would have won another Super Bowl in Green Bay. Woulda, coulda, shoulda.

Ever think putting up with Mr. Perfect was the reason he couldn’t get outa town soon enough?

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Here is his career stats. Woulda, coulda, shoulda doesn’t count in the NFL. I think there are better coaches out there

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

If “ifs” and “buts” were candy and nuts, oh what a party we’d have.

Holmgren could have won 4 more Superbowls if only he’d stayed in Green Bay? Considering the very short list of teams that have even been in 5 Superbowls full stop, much less won 5, I think we can conclude that a) this is very unlikely and b) given that no team has won 5 Superbowls in anything near that short of a timeframe. . .

The problem is that it isn’t just the coach. NFL is an abbreviation that stands for Not For Long. Keeping a core group of players healthy and performing at a peak level for even a single year is hard enough. Keeping that same team at Superbowl caliber for the 5, 7, even 10 years that it would take to actually appear in and/or win 5 Superbowls? I’m not seeing it because no coach has all that that would take and if he did, it would be as much down to luck as anything.

Of course, what we have to think about now is this:

Mike Holmgren. Will he be at the helm of the Minnesota Vikings after Leslie gets fired at the end of this season?

Discuss.

Grouse

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

No, Frasier is safe. Ziggy extorted his new stadium from the public. No sense in doing anything foolish at this point in time.

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

Ever think putting up with Mr. Perfect was the reason he couldn’t get outa town soon enough?

You talking about Beer Fart Dutchy?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.