need help from the IT crowd

• Whiskerkev
    Madison

My wife managed to acquire the FBI money Pak computer virus at home over the weekend. I did manage to get in in safe mode and ran the free malwarebytes and got rid of the infection but now my internet is not right. The banner for google won’t show and I can’t get the AVG free I used to reinstall it. Any advice? I think it is the Gen 2 version asking for 200 dollars. I am thinking I have some corrupted drivers or something. I run XP at home and IE 8. Thanks for your help.

rmartin
    United States

Does she have a restore point from before she acquired the virus? If so, restore to that point. You can probably download all of the programs that are missing to a USB stick using another computer and reinstall them on the one that is not working properly from the USB stick.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

I don’t know how restore points are established. Can I just pick a date in the past a few months ago?

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

I wouldn’t pick a date that far back if you know it just got hosed over the weekend. I would pick a date from last week.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

As I understand this particular virus, you don’t know when you got it because it spies on you and then later locks you up.

Sharon
    SE Metro

You could try picking a restore point from last week and if the computer was infected then, it should still have the same problems after restoration. If so, pick a date from two weeks ago, and so on until you can find a restore point from which the virus hadn’t infected the computer yet.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.