Vinyl or Wood replacement windows…

• Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

I have to replace some windows in the house (an oldie but goodie) and after about a dozen quotes the choice is down to the vinyl or a aluminium clad wood window.
    I need something not only for the insulation value but mostly for sound reduction (long story).
    Any advice from the contractors on the site?
    Is worth the extra cost for the wood?

tgruenke
    IGH, MN/Holcombe, WI

We replaced old windows with Vinyl and we like along a busy street. It was much quieter. Also like the fact that they never needed to be painted.

aleb
    Butler county Iowa

We put wood Pella ($$$) on the front and plastic on the back side both do a good job but the painting in a pain

skeeterbite
    illinois

I put Pella vinyl double hung, to replace the slider windows i had. GREAT windows, and they dont break the bank. If you go through pella direct they have 0% financeing for 36 mos. The energy savings are at least $65 per month. + no painting.Call pella they come out to youre house and show you youre options.

skulskitom

We install thousands of windows every year and the vinyl is the way to go if your going for maintenance free. PM if you need anything.

Geerdes
    Brandon, SD 57005

vinyl X2

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

Vinyl

x3

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

P.S.: much quieter

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

long term – aluminum clad short term = plastic

I see way too many problems with plastic windows in the long term. Some of that is contributed to poor installation practices by some hackers. regardless of which type, make sure they aren’t slapping them in , smear a bit of culk, and running to the bank

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Always an aluminium clad wood window over vinyl.

A better question would be what brands and series of the brands?

Where you are in this delema, I’m assuming that you are dealing in doublehungs and not casements.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Quote:

Always an aluminium clad wood window over vinyl.

A better question would be what brands and series of the brands?

Where you are in this delema, I’m assuming that you are dealing in doublehungs and not casements.

I’m looking at Marvin’s Ultimate Clad real serious…Have had friends that did Pella ,but had too many problems…

Quote:

long term – aluminum clad short term = plastic

I see way too many problems with plastic windows in the long term. Some of that is contributed to poor installation practices by some hackers. regardless of which type, make sure they aren’t slapping them in , smear a bit of culk, and running to the bank

Thanks Randy….another big reason I’m thinking about the Marvin’s….the outfit that made the quote has a very good reputation.

Thanks guys

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Marvin makes an great window. Actually Pella does as well. Pro Line is really a good window in the DH. I would up grade to at least the Architet series if you are looking at replacing a casement though.

Instalation matters just as much as the window! I hope you get the best of both! Interior finish, look for UV protected clear finishes.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Quote:

Marvin makes an great window. Actually Pella does as well. Pro Line is really a good window in the DH. I would up grade to at least the Architet series if you are looking at replacing a casement though.

Instalation matters just as much as the window! I hope you get the best of both! Interior finish, look for UV protected clear finishes.

X2

smithkeith
    Waterloo, Iowa

My Dad was a contractor his whole life and he installed a lot of windows. You get what you pay for and he always said you couldn’t go wrong with Pella or Marvin!!!

jameswilson

We replaced ours with vinyl windows. The contractors used foam-enhanced insulated vinyl frames. This offers better insulation and reduces the noise.

ChristyWallace

Hi James, I am supporting your reply. We have recently installed vinyl replacement windowsin our home. It is simply awesome. Not just the appearance, I am fully satisfied with its affordability and productivity. Really worth our try.

ChristyWallace

Hi James, I am supporting your reply. We have recently installed vinyl replacement windows in our home. It is simply awesome. Not just the appearance, I am fully satisfied with its affordability and productivity. Really worth our try.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Didn’t the whole world swear on Andersons, like 15+ years ago ? What happened there ?

ptc
    Apple Valley/Isle, MN

I put in Andersen windows 2 years ago. Not cheap, but seem to be worth the investment.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Quote:

Didn’t the whole world swear on Andersons, like 15+ years ago ? What happened there ?

They cheapenedthe construction processesand went down hill

huskerdu

Anderson -ALUM.clad outside / wood inside!

Timmy Weeks

I would say vinyl windows were the best that’s what several companies explained to me when i was purchasing new windows for my home. I actually got quotes from champion, anderson, and conservation construction in Denver. I would shop around before I just got the advice from one company. Make sure you look at their reviews too. You want to make sure that the company you go with is good.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Timmy, you’re about 6 years behind…

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.