9/21/12 vermilion river

• thebigfishman
    Apple Valley, MN

I spent most of the day walking the banks of the vermilion just outside of farmington yesterday. I must say that in my opinion the trout population has really declined in the last few years, there is still some brutes around but the smaller ones don’t have a chance. So how did my luck go, well I did catch a bunch of fish and had fun but. The disappointing part was 95% of the fish I caught were pike and some very respectable size fish for very skinny water standards 4 biggest fish were 32, 33 1/2, 34, and 37 caught another dozen or so in the mid 20s and a couple true hammer handles. I didn’t hook into a single trout and only saw 2 a brown pushing 20in and a small bow that got spooked and seconds later was a pikes lunch. All in all I had a fun day but it was also disappointing.

Take Care and Tight Lines!
    Kevin

bigpike

Sounds like trout fed pike should be on the menu to help protect your cherished species

vikefanmn77
    Northfield,MN

Last time I encountered the DNR there, they actually suggested wanton waste…told us to toss pike on the bank if we caught them. Obviously didn’t, just cant do that.

Got one up near 8 lbs a couple weeks ago too. Spent 2 hours there and saw nothing but pike.

vikefanmn77
    Northfield,MN

Also, you said you didn’t get any trout, and you said 95% were pike…what else u get there?

thebigfishman
    Apple Valley, MN

Quote:

Also, you said you didn’t get any trout, and you said 95% were pike…what else u get there?

A big white sucker and a couple carp.

Take Care and Tight Lines!!
    Kevin

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.