March Fishing Trip Ideas

• sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

I am going to start planning a late February, early March open water fishing trip somewhere. I have no problem trailering my boat and would like to target bass and crappies.
    I was thinking of staying in the following states; Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri, Northern Arkansas.
    What kind of suggestions does IDO have?

Thanks,
    Ron

Beaver E

Thats fine. Just one more parking spot at everts. I am so ready for the fall bite to kick in.

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Ron, I took a spring trip down to Bull Shoals several years ago. It was more to test run a boat that I had bought over the winter. What I found was that reservoir fishing can be tough. Had to imagine that you are fishing tree tops on a side hill that drops off to 90′ of water!

Crappies and Bass are both available down there. Also Silver Bass were abundant. I don’t know that February is a good month, might still be to cold down there. Also could look at Truman, that’s pretty close to Kansas City so only about a 7 hour run down there. Anyway find the lake or reservoir you want and start asking specific questions. There are a few guys over on WC that are from down that way that could help.

buzzer
    Garnavillo Iowa

Bullshoals , lake of the ozarks or mark twain

Whiskerkev
    Madison

Why leave the best walleye bite of the year to travel south?

jerry b
    western WI

Talk to B Rob, he’s in southern Nebr. I’m sure he can give ya some ideas about his country jerr

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Quote:

Why leave the best walleye bite of the year to travel south?

Great question, and my answer is: Because those walleyes will still be there when I get back
    They won’t miss me for 4-5 days.
    I know that some guys love the spring walleye bite, as I do too. There are somethings I love even more, I love finding a lake and learning what it takes to get on a good bite. Also since I really do not ice fish, I need to hit some open water with warm weather by that time of the year.
    Just ask my wife
    The last few years I have ran down to the White river and fished for its famous world class brown trout.
    Time for something else.

Ron

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Quote:

Talk to B Rob, he’s in southern Nebr. I’m sure he can give ya some ideas about his country jerr

I expect a PM from him when he sees this thread

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Table Rock – GReat bass and crappie fishing early to mid March. Those spotted bass are a blast to catch. Lots of different ways to catch them down there at that time of the year.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

If it’s Crappie, I think March is way too early! 1 to 2 weeks before Mothers Day would be my time heading South.

Now I’m talking about Truman Lake.
    I’m not up on the size now for the last 3 year class’s but last time I was there we were into a lot of 17″s.

From the Dam in the Osage to Osage beach or on the Grand to Bucksaw, then there is Little Tebow Creek up in the trees.

Late March is good for Trout on Taneycomo.

This is just what came to my mind.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.