Box Elder bugs

• chirp
    Rochester

I think this was brought up a while ago, but could someone give me a remedy for the Box Elders? I have an open house coming up after a wedding and don’t want the bugs crawling all over the front of my garage. I know it is that time of year. Thanks for any help.

stevenoak

I have always heard soapy water. But ”home defense” I use on the rest of them works for me.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Go to your local Farm supply store and buy a bottle of Tempo Ultra. Mix according to instructions and spray your home. Does not leave a residue on the home and once dry it is safe to touch. Works wonders on the Box Elders and Asian Beetles that will soon be heading from bean fields to structures looking for wintering areas.

o.m.f.t.
    Rochester Minn

Fleet farm has something called slugger. Works good, spray over house garage fences. Thet don’t come nack. Jim

bck
    Big Stone Lake Sd

Quote:

Go to your local Farm supply store and buy a bottle of Tempo Ultra. Mix according to instructions and spray your home. Does not leave a residue on the home and once dry it is safe to touch. Works wonders on the Box Elders and Asian Beetles that will soon be heading from bean fields to structures looking for wintering areas.

Tempo Ultra!

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Quote:

Fleet farm has something called slugger. Works good, spray over house garage fences. Thet don’t come nack. Jim

Does it come in a aerosol can or do you apply with a Hudson sprayer? Should I spray it on the landscaping or just the block for the foundation?

chirp
    Rochester

Is this Tempo Ultra safe to put on vinyl siding?

glenn57
    cold spring mn

i use ortho MAX. its in a red jug at fleet farm works for me!!!

broncosguy
    Blaine, MN

good old jerry baker recipe i use.

*Tobacco Tea – 1 cup
    Lemon scented dish soap – 1 cup

Mix all of the ingredients in your 20 gallon hose-end sprayer, filling the balance of the sprayer jar with warm water.

To make tobacco tea, place half a handful of chewing tobacco in an old nylon stocking, and soak it in a gallon of hot water until the mixture is dark brown.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Quote:

Is this Tempo Ultra safe to put on vinyl siding?

Yes sir, I’ve been spraying mine for years anyway.

This stuff is the wonder drug for all bug ails. Wasps, spiders, box elder bugs, you name it. Better yet, it puts down a line of residue that if they cross, they die. So if a few happen to get past your screen door, they don’t make it far.

Wish I had a pressure washer that sucked up a mixed solution of the stuff, as the pest guys I know spray for all creepy crawlies this way.

Spray some in the joints of your siding, then observe 15 minutes later. There’s all kinds of things living in there that have a sudden headache and crawl out seeking relief and then die.

Joel

glenn57
    cold spring mn

SO………are you saying if i mix up a batch of whatever to kill these box elder bugs……..i could use a pressure washer to spray it with????????

that be an awesome game plan!!!!!!!!

run&gun
    MN

Just sprayed my house with Tempo SC so we’ll see how it works. The box elders are bad this year.

Brian Hoffies

Just got back from Mills myself. YIKES that stuff is expensive. It was selling like hot cakes when I was there. Them little varmints are going to get a dose first thing in the morning. Hope it works.

run&gun
    MN

The guy said it keeps year to year and one bottle was good for 30 gallons. One gallon covered my whole house and garage. I paid 40 bucks so it seemed like a pretty good deal compared to ortho home defense. The guy at fleet farm said they had 40 bottles and there was one left after I got mine. He said store it indoors and it should be good for a long time.

Brian Hoffies

I paid $48, but ya it should last. I mixed 2 gallons only to find the spray nozzle in the new Hudson sprayer doesn’t work. I have another sprayer so I’m just going to switch out nozzles I guess.

run&gun
    MN

Big thanks for the recommend of tempo. It took care all of them.

John Luebker

Has anyone tried this on Steel siding yet? Just curious as we have them bad as well. Let me know if it left any marks.

Thanks

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Quote:

The guy said it keeps year to year and one bottle was good for 30 gallons. One gallon covered my whole house and garage. I paid 40 bucks so it seemed like a pretty good deal compared to ortho home defense. The guy at fleet farm said they had 40 bottles and there was one left after I got mine. He said store it indoors and it should be good for a long time.

Yah, it lasts forever. The nice thing is that if you spray early in the year for wasps, you won’t have problems later. Same with spiders and the asian beetles. You end up using it for more than just this application in other words.

Joel

Brian Hoffies

Quote:

Has anyone tried this on Steel siding yet? Just curious as we have them bad as well. Let me know if it left any marks.

Thanks

Sprayed my steel siding yesterday and didn’t notice any discoloration at this point. Other then the acid spray from the concrete guy about 7 years ago.

chippee
    sw wi

If your cheap like me, soapy water in a sprayer has been knocking them down for me

chirp
    Rochester

We ended up using Bug Max by Enforcer. Comes in a gallon jug spray bottle. Sprayed last week and am still finding dead Box Elders all over the drive way. Very happy and easy to use.

Workboot
    Coon Rapids, MN

Amen, chipee. It works. Boy these bugs appear all of a sudden. Hate em.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.